BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Fuel Leak

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  huskad 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I am looking for anyone who has info or experience with gas smell/leak which seems to occur only when bike is warming up, then seems to abate once normal operating temp is reached. Have seen a few drops of gas under the bike if idling on side stand just after a cold start, but this and gas smell abate after mile or so of riding. Possibly the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail? Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. My ride is a 2004 K1200GT with approx 58k miles. Thanks.

#2 ·
My 05 12S just started this.18K on the bike. It began with fuel smell, but couldn't see anything. It's dumping out the left side now when on the side stand. About to start taking the fairings off. Since it started slow and got worse, I'm guessing a fuel line's going bad. Hoping anyway. Did you et any answers to your thread? Or did you get it diagnosed and repaired?

#3 ·
First thing to check is the fuel line quick disconnects. They are made of plastic and have been known to fail and leak. You'll have to undress the bike to get to them.

Frank

Reactions: motogp
#4 ·
Sorry that I have not been paying attn to my post. No excuses made. Re the quick disconnects, they have been changed to metal a few years back. I don't think they are leaking. Just removed the fairings in prep for valve lash check and possible chain liner replacement. Staining is evident on top of the valve cover but I can't trace it to its source due to the many hoses and wires etc that are in the way. When finished I will idle with fairings off and see what I can see.

#5 ·
found the leak

Idled the bike with fairings off the other day and watched as the input fuel line-to fuel injection rail connection seeped gas. Just enough to make the hose wet and glistening. Tightened the hose clamp there and the one on the return line and its all good now. Easy. I probably neglected to do this when I raised the frame to replace the output shaft seal a few years ago. BTW valves were in spec and rail liner showed no visible wear, with the chain in place anyway. 2004 K1200GT, 62,500 miles. Happy Holidays to All.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.