Clutch engagement after an oil change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 4:23 am Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

Clutch engagement after an oil change

While I had the tupperware off, and since it's been about 4K miles from the last oil change, I figured I'd flush the old and refill with new.

Used BMW 10w40 - OEM filter, etc...

On my little "checking to make sure she 'aint blown up" test ride before the real fettle-fix test tomorrow, I noticed that the clutch engage point is now much different than before. I imagine this is due to the oil change with it being a wet clutch and all, but exactly why would this happen? Different oil level (it's the same as it was before but may be marginally different?)? Viscocity change from whatever the dealer put in the last time? Something else?

For what it's worth, my clutch used to engage at about the halfway mark of lever travel. After the oil change, it engages right at the very end of travel.

Curious - no biggie, but thought I'd mention it since I didn't find any other posts relating to this.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 8:26 am
Addict

The only time that changing the oil should make a difference in the clutch is if you use an oil containing a Moly additive or other friction modifier, such as PTFE, (not a good thing for wet clutches). I wouldn't think that the BMW oil (synthetic or not) would have any type friction modifier in it, but I have never used it, so I can't say for sure. Check the front of the oil bottle and see if it has one of those leetle environmental stickers on it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 8:36 am
Strafist

My clutch has always engaged at the end of travel. Some have complained about it, I like it. A quick fan, a snap of the gear and you're there. Took a leetle getting used to on starts, though.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 8:44 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
My clutch has always engaged at the end of travel. Some have complained about it, I like it. A quick fan, a snap of the gear and you're there. Took a leetle getting used to on starts, though.
That is the way mine works, and I also like it. The first couple of days that I had mine, I killed it a few times on starts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 9:51 am

A little off topic

I have been reading different things about oils. Your post and others said they use 10-40 weight oil. I know it is in the recommended charts, but I have only ever used 20-50 weight oils in my bikes. This is what the dealer used and recommends me to use. So I guess my question is what is every one running as far as weight type in there bikes?.
Just curious to see how many use the 10-40 compared to 20-50.
My clutch engages in the same place it always has, oil changes and the switch to full synthetic has never had an effect on my clutch engagement other than making it feel and shift smoother..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:05 am
Addict

currently running 10w-40 dino and have 6.6k on the bike. Next change will be to 20w-50 synth.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:13 am
Addict

Mine has always caught at the end as others. WOnder if during the re-assemblly something got nudged changed....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

I should have mentioned that I don't mind it either - but I am curious as to why a change has taken place. I wondered about something getting bumped during the airbox re-install too but I can't see that anything bumped would change engagement at all (there's just the line heading around and down to the clutch).

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 3:20 pm
Enthusiast

You might have dislodged an air bubble in the hydraulics that then worked its way back up to the master cylinder. I'm thinking it might be a good idea if we all flushed the clutch hydraulics. It's easy, and could avoid slipping clutches, moving engage points, etc.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 9:51 pm
Enthusiast

Oil makes a huge difference in the behavior of a wet clutch; when you switch to synthetic from dino you'll feel the difference. I suspect this is what you've found.
Greg

Greg in Norfolk; mine: '06 K1200GT, '02 F650GS; hers: '07 R1200RT, '04 Suzuki Burgman 650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode