BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Same final drive in K1300GT as older K1200GT.

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GMack 
#1 ·
(Mostly for Meese since he's been looking for this stuff)

Today I was at the dealer ordering stuff and noted both the K1200GT and the new K1300GT are listed as K44 on their online part's fiche.

So then I found this online parts manual later today:
K1300GT online parts manual

What I specifically was interested in was this final drive info on the K1300GT to see if it had any hidden changes:
K1300GT final drive pinion parts setup.

...and then comparing it to the old K1200GT final drive numbers from MAX BMW's online fiche I see this:
Old K1200GT final drive pinion parts.

Looks to be the same final drive as far as parts numbers go, although the K1300GT has a different exterior housing color, "asphalt" or something.

Oh well....

Not much new here as I had hoped for. For both the 1200 and 1300 to be referred to as K44 is confusing as we found today - not to mention not that much has changed as I would have been led to believe in their ad hype (i.e. 84 updates stuff). :wtf:

Mack

See less See more
#2 ·
The K44 is the engine designation. I reckon it beats using, original, newer and newest, or something like that.

I was calling the two dealers around us to see if they carried shim unders for the new GT. One parts guy said he'd never heard of BMW needing valve adjustment. Whew. That's all I have to say about that.

BTW, Ken, no one carries them. Lone Star thinks one of their mechanics has a stash. If we need them, we'll go begging.

#3 ·
grifscoots said:
......I was calling the two dealers around us to see if they carried shim unders for the new GT. One parts guy said he'd never heard of BMW needing valve adjustment. Whew. That's all I have to say about that. ......
I knew there was a good reason for using "Grif's Garage" rather than one of the dealers! :D

#4 ·
grifscoots said:
The K44 is the engine designation. I reckon it beats using, original, newer and newest, or something like that.

I was calling the two dealers around us to see if they carried shim unders for the new GT. One parts guy said he'd never heard of BMW needing valve adjustment. Whew. That's all I have to say about that.

BTW, Ken, no one carries them. Lone Star thinks one of their mechanics has a stash. If we need them, we'll go begging.
I would think a 1200cc engine would be different enough over a 1300cc one than to share the same K44 designation. Just seems odd.

Fwiw, I spoke with Lily at Ozzie's BMW in Chico, CA yesterday. They have a box of them shimmy things but they've never needed to use them....yet. Cool.

I'm gonna lug mine in there in a month or so and see what's up since the GS-911 reported "Valve Attention Needed" in a few more hundred miles. She pulled another GT invoice and the whole shebang ran $550 incl. fluids on it. She said labor was 4.5 hours and they are out 2 weeks on service appointments now. Lot better than the $750 out of the Bay area and I got enough to make a vacation out of it too (sort of).

Hopefully, the Northern CA mountain pass roads will be open by then (esp. CA-108 or CA-120) and my final doesn't blow chunks of funny metal stuff along with some oily stuff all over the road in the process. Pounded and cussed some new Maxxis tires (never used them before) on it so I'm ready, 9,000 foot mountain passes willing. :)

Mack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.