Fuel strip emulation has been cracked! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2012, 12:35 am Thread Starter
Fuel strip emulation has been cracked!

We can now spoof the fuel gauge to read full on bikes with a dead fuel strip (when the owner has finally given up on replacing them), details here. The trip odometer always worked best anyway.

This has been tested on a R1200GS, not sure if the values are the same for a K-bike but I would guess that they are. I'm not gonna try it on mine because my fuel strip works and I sure don't want to rock that boat, but from what I've read we have more than a few test candidates around here.

Last edited by smiller; Apr 7th, 2012 at 8:51 am.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2012, 11:48 am
My third one has been good a while now since I fill the tank full at the end of each ride/day. I don't know if the ethanol is the reason or what it is with those strips. Maybe some 'ring-around-the-tank' forms some sort of muck on them? Luckily, BMW dropped that design in their newer bikes and went back to floats.

Oh. Overheard the mechanics talking about some switch gear on a GS model. Turns out that that bike had no ABS unit on it as the switchgear was different. Seems BMW only made a 3 month run of non-ABS units and one mechanic was seriously offering the owner some cash to get rid of that bike as he wanted it. He didn't want to deal with the expensive ABS units and some with the more expensive pumpers. Just thought it was an interesting FYI for someone when the thread about expensive $2,000 items being a reason not to buy some bike. The GS and RT Boxer models have depreciated far less (about $1,000 less) than the more expensive GT models too which seems odd, or the GT was really a dog. My GT is worth about $6,000 to $9,000 now (trade vs. private) on KBB. If it eats some $2,800 ABS pumper unit it might end up in the salvage yard.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2012, 2:41 pm
Bravo smiller! I just read all seven pages of this fascinating discovery over on the BMW Sport Touring forum. I can't believe more folks haven't commented on this here at K-Bikes as it seems the faulty fuel strip has affected most of us, some multiple times.

When mine goes belly up I'll definitely be trying the workaround as my bike is out of warranty at this point. Truth be told, I never look at the fuel bars to assess my level. Always use the trip odometer.

Great job and thanks so much for sharing.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2012, 4:41 pm
I can hardly wait for my fuel strip to fail to try this. Right now it reads half full when I have only 0.5 gal left. New and improved issues!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2012, 8:16 am
visual help

I'm assuming this is all done to the wiring exiting from the tank unit. Does anyone have any pics or a schematic to help me with this? I also guess that the connections will require soldering in place. Can these resistors be found @ Radio Shack? I've been fighting this battle long enough...thanks for the help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2012, 11:32 am
Wellll craaaap!.................
Count me IN on this problem now.... Turned the ignition on to go for for a ride....Yellow triangle stayed on...no more fuel bars. The tank is about 3/4 full. topped off the gas....triangle still on, gas icon still flashing... Which makes me wonder...why do I need the entire window for indicator lights??...It's like driving around with a Christmas tree in front of me (brake failure light now has a friend.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2012, 7:59 am
From what I've read the wiring bypass to fool the gauge is simple, but I haven't heard from anyone exactly where in the pigtail to put the resistors. I located the correct resistors @ Radio Shack but would like more specific instructions on the installation. I can fix virtually anything mechanical, but when it comes to electronics I'm a little "challenged". A picture would be a big help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode