Getting the K1300 Dialed In for me. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2012, 11:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

Getting the K1300 Dialed In for me.

I recently purchased a slightly used K1300GT. I had ridden a friends 2003 K1200GT and read many reviews on it. I saw the GT in a shop and bought it without a test ride. When I rode it home I found that the seat didn't work for me and the windscreen also didn't work for me. The seat was shaped ok, but was too soft and spongey, like riding on a water bed. The windscreen which was an OEM 24 1/2" tall put the wind right at my sunglasses. Very noisy and uncomfortable when I have the helmet shield up, even at slow "in town" speeds.

Last week I rode over to the folks at Cal Sci, and tried their "medium" windshield. Mark was great and let me install the shield and take it for a ride before I committed to buying it. I knew in a moment that his windshield was terrific. Mark showed me how he makes his windscreens and it was fascinating.
From there I rode over to RKA luggage, just outside Santa Rosa, and ordered a tank bag from Rich. His products are made right there and are very high quality. After leaving RKA, I rode up to Anderson and had Rick Mayer build me a custom seat. After riding the seat for several hundred miles on twisty northern California roads, I found the comfort to be excellent but that the seat was built too much towards the "tourning" end of sport touring for my personal liking. I contacted Rick and he said to stop back up or send it in. I rode up late this week and he adjusted it and now it is perfect. All day comfortable and I am still able to easily slide side to side in the twisties. Rick was terrific and wouldn't accept any money for the adjustment. I tried to be detailed in my description of what I liked and didn't like about the original seat, and he nailed it for me. Rick is a very accomplished rider.........11,000 miles in 11 days on one iron but ride. Also a hard used track bike was in the garage. Leathers and sliders with lots of wounds, so he not afraid to push the envelope.
It was a terrific exercise and I felt grateful to have these three companies right here in Northern California. It was a bonus to have all their products made on site, by them, and in some cases along with family members, and skilled employees. Right here in the good ole USA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode