BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Just picked up an '08 GT, need a taller / thicker seat

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  K190-09K13GT 
#1 ·
Just picked up the bike this weekend, with 21,000 miles. It is a dream to drive! However, I am 6' 4" and the Corbin seat it came with is pretty low AND does not fit in the High position. I need a thicker/taller seat.

Does any body have a stock seat laying around they would sell?

How is the Sargent seat for height?

#3 ·
From what I've read, Russell IS the ultimate in custom fit & comfort. However, they require you to send in a stock seat pan, which I do not have.

A local shop might be the best option, I'm starting the hunt. Would still like to be able to use the height adjustment to gain that extra inch :yesnod:

#4 ·
The Russell does require you to send them a seat but when you order ask them for the schedule date and they will tell you so all you have to do then is send it so it gets there ahead of your build schedule.

I called them today and their schedule runs out to August right now and they said they may have to raise their prices because of the new minimum wage law they passed in Cal.

I have had 2 built and I think from the time I sent it in ahead of the build it was about 3 weeks to get it back.

to let you know how good they are, I did not ride for about a year due to 3 eye surgeries and a knee surgery. I rode to our BMW club breakfast 2 Saturdays in a row, about 25 miles each time then the following Friday i got on at 6:15am and rode 1,088 miles by 2:30am Saturday morning and the only pain I had was from my helmet.

#5 ·
I have a custom seat from Bill "Rocky" Mayer. I suggest that you contact him to see if he can do anything with your current seat.

http://www.billmayer-saddles.com

I have had my Bill "Rocky" Mayer saddle for seven years, and it continues to provide excellent comfort and still looks great. That's after many tens of thousands of miles. I recently rode round trips from So Cal to Kentucky (last November) and Houston (last April).

The Bill "Rocky" Mayer (Jr.), Russell Day Long, and Rick Mayer businesses are all "descended" from the original custom saddle business that Bill Mayer, Sr. created.

Russell Day Long bought the patent for the internal suspension spring from Bill Mayer Sr.

Avoid Rick Mayer, who has not been reliable for several years, assuming he is still in business. Several people experienced unreasonable delays, lack of communication, lost money, lost seats, etc. just before Rick Mayer stopped responding to customers.

Other companies make their own saddles - Corbin, for example. I have also read several customer complaints about Corbin - lack of communication, not working with the customer to fix seats that were uncomfortable, etc. Those complaints were several years ago.

#6 ·
I do agree about Rick, you just never know.

as for Rocky I have one of his seats for my GS and in about 600 miles the welt on one of the seams has worn through plus he comes across as being very arrogant I just wont deal with him again. He is cheaper than the RDL though.

Russell has always seemed fair, they do have their rules but they have always told me straight so I knew what to expect. I am getting ready to order my 3rd seat from them

#7 ·
I had a Russell on my 08 GT a few years ago. Didn't work for me, the wings interfered with me when coming to a stop, and the seating position it forced me into was not in keeping with my natural posture on the GT. Upright was OK, but leaned a little forward and it was uncomfortable. It was beautifully built, but really ugly (IMHO). A tractor seat on a rocket bike. Nope. Now have Sargeant and love it.

#8 ·
Thanks guys, i was able to find a stock seat, which is much taller than the Corbin. This makes the bike easier to ride, however as others have said, it is Waaay too soft and your nether regions get scrunched after 15 minutes!

I pulled the trigger on a Sargent a week ago & cant wait to try it, it will be about 2 more weeks until I receive it

#10 ·
I am very happy with it. The height is good, and it it is very firm which is also good. It has just a little forward slope, but as I have used it over the last couple months I don't really notice it anymore. Maybe my butt bones are breaking it in. I've done a couple 700 mile days and was quite comfortable the whole way. When I ordered, I got the DTX seating insert, which is supposed to be a tougher/grippier vinyl. Not sure how it compares to their standard CarbonFX, but I like it.

I highly recommend the seat!

#12 ·
I was able to grind down the rear most posts on the driver seat pan so that the seat oriented flatter without a tilt to the front which crushed the boys on long rides. A lot more comfortable than the stock. This was on a Sargent.

#13 ·
Just picked up the bike this weekend, with 21,000 miles. It is a dream to drive! However, I am 6' 4" and the Corbin seat it came with is pretty low AND does not fit in the High position. I need a thicker/taller seat.

Does any body have a stock seat laying around they would sell?

How is the Sargent seat for height?
Hi R this a long shot for you as shipping, I dunno, I'm assuming a lot
My ad: BMW K1300Gt Russell Day-Long All Black Leather heated seats | Other | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.