2009 K13GT valve cover leak - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2017, 3:17 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

2009 K13GT valve cover leak

Has anyone had an issue with the valve cover weeping oil? My bike was in the shop about a month ago to have the valve cover gasket replaced because of a leak on the left side. It is now weeping on the right side which has caused me to postpone a vacation. Shop manager says valve cover may be warped.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 4:57 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

** UPDATE **
Tech at dealership says the chain guide was moving up a little and got stuck pushing on the valve cover. Seems strange as the path for the timing chain moves in the downward direction on the guide.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200RT - gone
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 7:03 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
** UPDATE **
Tech at dealership says the chain guide was moving up a little and got stuck pushing on the valve cover.
Hi TF1200RT.

Not the first time it's been suggested a leaky valve cover was caused by a slide rail moving out and pushing against the cover.

What interests me is the solution. Did the Tech simply replace the rail? Was anything else done/replaced? Any suggestion why it happened in the first place?

Meese, if you still hang here, have you heard of this problem??

Thanks TF1200RT.

Regards from Downunder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 11:23 am
Noob

Garage
Someone correct me if i am wrong, but how can one of the 2 guide rails slide up? The top rail is hinged with a pin at the lower end and unless the pin is gone it can't go anywhere.

And the other one is always being pulled downwards towards the crankshaft sprocket.

So a leaking valve cover gasket caused by a sliding rail seems total b_llsh_t to me.

Plus, the rail sliding out of position would most lokely result in complete engine failure.....

And how tha hell is a valve cover supposed to get warped?????
Its a cover, not the cylinder head..... How dumb is that Motorcycle Tech?!

Not applying hightemp sealeant between the case/gasket/valve cover is the culprit, not a sliding rail.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 12:03 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
Has anyone had an issue with the valve cover weeping oil? My bike was in the shop about a month ago to have the valve cover gasket replaced because of a leak on the left side. It is now weeping on the right side which has caused me to postpone a vacation. Shop manager says valve cover may be warped.
It's easy for me .... I'd say that somewhere, sometime, the valve cover was over tightened.

A little story; I had a GM 350 cu in thermostat housing that leaked/ weeped. Not uncommon back in the day. Folks often F-ed them up, typically by tightening the living snot out of them.

My brother took it to work and one of his guys re-machined the perch that the thermostat dropped into. SOB still [I][I] leaked. Probably .010 material was removed.

Back in the day I didn't have access to an aluminum crack magnaflux (was-doo-dad,) but a replacement worked fine.

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.

Last edited by Rager; May 17th, 2017 at 6:12 am.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique83 View Post
Someone correct me if i am wrong, but how can one of the 2 guide rails slide up? The top rail is hinged with a pin at the lower end and unless the pin is gone it can't go anywhere.

And the other one is always being pulled downwards towards the crankshaft sprocket.

So a leaking valve cover gasket caused by a sliding rail seems total b_llsh_t to me.

Plus, the rail sliding out of position would most lokely result in complete engine failure.....

And how tha hell is a valve cover supposed to get warped?????
Its a cover, not the cylinder head..... How dumb is that Motorcycle Tech?!

Not applying hightemp sealeant between the case/gasket/valve cover is the culprit, not a sliding rail.
Yes, the tech and I came to the same conclusion that the bottom rail should be pushing downwards. And no, it is not bullsh!t with the rail pushing on the valve cover because I saw it. It was stuck upwards pushing against the valve cover. Valve covers on these bikes do warp, although it is rare. They have glass plate that they set the cover on to check for warpage. BMWNA had them replace the rail because they said they had seen this happen before. The seal was replaced and they did use light sealant on it. The leak has stopped.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200RT - gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode