• 1 Post By lhendrick
  • 1 Post By XMagnaRider
  • 1 Post By TF1200RT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2017, 2:55 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
K1300 Rattle

Want to post this before investigating further in case anyone else has experienced the same thing...

Got my 2010 K1300GT out of the garage this morning. There was an instant rattling noise as soon as she fired up. It lasted about 2 seconds, and then went back to sounding sweet. I immediately hit the kill switch. I started it again and there was no unusual noise.

I have had the bike for about 2 weeks; ridden about 500 miles. Most of my rides are 6 miles to (and from) work. It was last ridden yesterday at 4pm.

I will see if the noise returns after the bike has been sitting all day in the work car park, but thought I would post in case anyone else has experienced this?

There are no warning lights on the dash. Oil level indicates its fine.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2017, 8:35 am
Rookie

I've had that same rattle on startup after the bike has been sitting at work on the side stand, on a slight incline. I was told that it is cam chain adjuster not being fully pumped up with oil. The noise goes away after it is started; like you said, it only lasts about a second.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2017, 8:38 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
I've had that same rattle on startup after the bike has been sitting at work on the side stand, on a slight incline. I was told that it is cam chain adjuster not being fully pumped up with oil. The noise goes away after it is started; like you said, it only lasts about a second.
Thanks. So you were told its nothing to worry about?

Curious that it hasn't done it before today. I'll see if it does it after work in another hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2017, 9:09 am
Addict

Most of these bikes make some cam chain rattle noises at times. Considering the negative consequences of the cam chain jumping a tooth and the timing going out of spec (as in piston to valve contact!) I suggest you find out if the cam chain tensioner and jump guard are in place, functioning, and updated as necessary. Spend a few bucks now or a few thousand if it goes badly.
Meese likes this.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2017, 2:04 pm
Veteran

It may be normal, or it may be a sign that the cam chain tensioner is going bad. The BMW tensioner fills with oil, and the oil pressure causes the piston to push against the cam chain to absorb the slack in the cam chain.

There were two different types of BMW cam chain tensioner. The original one was flat on top. The new (still current) one has a short protruding cylinder.

I gave up on the BMW cam chain tensioners. Mine originally came with the flat top kind. The dealer replaced that with the new version. It failed over time. The dealer put in another "new" one, but it failed, too.

I replaced it with the ACE cam chain tensioner. It is operated manually. You screw it down to the correct position and tighten a lock nut. Easy peasy. The only issue is that you should adjust it periodically, perhaps every other oil change, or as often as you feel comfortable. Since I installed the ACE cam chain tensioner, the bike has been quiet on startup and while running. It just works. In my opinion, you should give that a try.

APE - BMW1000RR Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
https://www.ascycles.com/BMW-k1300gt...roductID/45610
Meese likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:34 am
Noob

Bought mine in Oct of last year. Had similar, occasional startup rattle as well. I don't like it either. -shrug-

Parked it in mid-Dec for winter and fired it up for the first time last Sat. Had it on the center stand.

Quiet as a church mouse. Of course I'll still listen for it.

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2017, 6:56 am
Rookie

Mine was actually in the shop last week to fix a valve cover leak (again) that they tried to fix earlier under warranty. They checked the valve cover to make sure it wasn't warped and they found that the cam chain rail guide was pushing up against the valve cover. BMW goodwilled the replacement of the rail guide and said they have seen this before. The tech thought it may have something to do with the jump guard that they install on the GT's pushing up a little on the bottom of the rail guide.
Meese likes this.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode