New windshield option for GT's! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:36 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Thumbs up New windshield option for GT's!

My wife has an '06 FJR1300 and purchased a windshield very popular w/ FJR ownwers from California Scientific. She has been very happy with it and in the mean time I have been testing CalSci's prototypes for the GT. Now, the testing is done and I am happy to report that I am retiring my Cee Bailey. NO visual distortion and VERY still air behind screen.

The CalSci windshield is designed by actual engineers and fabricated with a vent to improve performance- see photos...

I like mine very much and am glad to have the first one.

California Scientific's website is calsci.com and the tall version I tested should go for $185 with an xtra tall for $200.

Disclaimer- while I am getting to keep the final prototype windshield for my help in testing, I am not receiving any compensation from CalSci beyond that- And I really do like the windshield!

-Allen Moore BMWMOA
'06 K1200GT Crystal
'07 Suzuki DR650
'94 Ducati 900 SS/SP #012 Lucy
'66 R69s work in progress
'75 R75 /5 Hers
'02 R110R Rockster Hers name pending
'07 K1200GT Hers name pending
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:06 am
fas

CalSci Shield

Looks good. Material specs?

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:31 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Looks good. Material specs?
According to Mark Lawrence, the owner of CalSci the materials used are a DOT certified impact resistant plastic, and cut by an industrial laser to insure symmetry and fit precision. Impact tests have been performed on his windshields with a .22 cal rifle.

Exact height I will have to measure as Mark has my original BMW shield which he used as a design guide, so I am not certain exactly how the height of this one compares with stock. Do note however that the lower profile of the CalSci screen is markedly different than stock. In addition to the vent, the CalSci windshield is shaped differently- cut away flush with the lower edge of the BMW windshield support brace instead of the lower stock shape. This is part of the aerodynamic design to provide for higher performance...

I am not an engineer; but, I am sure Mark, the designer would be happy to discuss specific details- he can be emailed at : sales@calsci.com

HTH,

-Allen Moore BMWMOA
'06 K1200GT Crystal
'07 Suzuki DR650
'75 R75 /5 Hers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 3:44 pm
Just saying hey

Why the front vent?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but when riding in the rain (particularly heavy rain), wouldn't that rather large, low-positioned, front-vent opening result in lots of rain water being sprayed over and around a number of electronically sensitive components located in the cockpit, including the *GPS navigation module*, bike computer, speedometer, tachometer, handlebar-mounted electronic control buttons/switches, ignition switch, etc.? Moreover, might this spray also tend to hit the rider's lower torso and crotch? Would the spray also be partially deflected upward off of the tank, causing a constant mist or spray onto one's helmet visor? Finally, it seems to me that the vent is an opening for stones and other solid windborne debris and "projectiles" to enter the cockpit area, etc.

My initial assumption is that this vent may have been intended to reduce the shield's wind drag by allowing some air to pass through it, but I'm skeptical for the reasons I've mentioned. Can one order this shield without the air vent?

Your thoughts are most welcome. Thanks!

Kurt

Last edited by kurtk12gt; Apr 14th, 2007 at 3:50 pm. Reason: need to add an additional question
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 5:35 pm
Strafist

The vent, at least on the Parabellum windshield, is to reduce back pressure when the shield is raised.
The Parabellum does have covers that can open and close. I'd have to second that though on an always open vent.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The vent, at least on the Parabellum windshield, is to reduce back pressure when the shield is raised.
The Parabellum does have covers that can open and close. I'd have to second that though on an always open vent.
Thanks, Grifscoots. I've now taken a more studied look at this windscreen, and it looks like there may indeed be a piece that will cover the vent as needed. Am I correct?

Thanks!

Kurt
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 7:05 pm
Veteran

Good question about the rain through the hole.

I was thinking of bugs and how much of a mess it would be to clean that area. They do seem to smash really well on the backside of the Cee-Bailey screen for some reason.

Looks promising after some real weather tests.

Plastic looks thin from the photos? Just wondering as my second Cee-Bailey screen ordered through the dealer is thinner than the original ordered direct from them that got broke on the knock-down (maybe by 1mm or so?). New C-B seems to flutter a lot on the highway.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 7:07 pm
Enthusiast

It seems to me that a vent is unnecessary for the GT because it has been designed to allow significant air through the gap between the windscreen and the fairing. After coming from a GTR1000 with Cee Bailey and vent, I have found much more air is channeled through this gap than through the Cee Bailey vent so the helmet visor is kept mist free on the GT. I had to have the visor open on the GTR1000 to prevent it misting up.

Did the engineer say why they needed the extra air flow? Have you noticed much increase in air flow or reduction in back pressure because of it?

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 7:00 am
Enthusiast

Looks good, indeed. And "the materials used are a DOT certified impact resistant plastic", 6 mm thick (probably polycarbonate) is promising to be an asset in safety (as compared to the shattering upon impact polyacrylic shields of CeeBailey, Wunderlich, Secdem, and others.

When will these be available? Also in Europe?

Recently Dutch Military Police have acquired an entire fleet of FJR1300's, also equipped with screens from this company. So, I expect the screens to be good enough for the GT as well.

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:00 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Sorry for not responding quicker- An unexpected death in the family has kept me away from the computer; but, I did get a ride in today with 30+mph wind gusts today here in Southern AZ...

The vent is to improve airflow performance and help force the pocket of still air as high as possible above the top of the screen without the turbulence and visual distortion created by putting a lip at the top edge of the windshield.

Yes, bug guts now get into new places. Not sure how much the vent affects rain behind the screen- AZ has been pretty dry of late... I'll post more reports as I'm able; but, for now, the Cee Bailey is staying off the bike.

As far as the thickness of the screen is concerned, it does not seem thin at all; in fact, my Cee Bailey flexed enough to damage paint on the bike. No worry of that with the CalSci.

-Allen Moore BMWMOA
'06 K1200GT Crystal
'07 Suzuki DR650
'75 R75 /5 Hers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode