New Calsci Windshield for K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 11:12 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

New Calsci Windshield for K1200GT

Our new windshield for the K1200GT is available now in three sizes. It's engineered to produce the quietest possible ride. It's been throughly tested against the competition, and found clearly superior by our test riders.

Calsci.com

mark@calsci.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 5:14 pm
Enthusiast

Hi Mark,

I ordered an x-tall through your Dutch reseller Hans. He told me he'd order two (one for stock I believe and one for me). Did you already ship them?

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 3:55 pm
Noob

Great service - ordered a new windshield from Mark after son Barry went on a wimp trip to St Louis and back. Complained about the windshield the entire time.

Ordered and delivered in 2 days. Install on Sat with an oil change.

After other reports about the quality of Cee Bailey shields and several returning them, I decided to try something else that made sense and lower dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 10:22 pm
Rookie

I've put a few hundred miles on one of Mark's shields with great results. My bike came with a standard (short) windshield which caused a lot of turbulence to the point where it was annoying and tiring. Switching to the Calsci wasn't a small change but a day/night kind of difference. I don't have any experience with any other brand of shield but I'll sticking with this one. I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, with the bars in the full up position, using the x-tall Calsci. A big thumbs up for Mark's work!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 1:51 am
Addict

Between Y'alls recommendations and Mark's website (who in the world lists all the other competitor's website and #'s if they dont' think they have a superior product, plus they seem to be avid motorcyclists with great senses of humor) I ordered a windscreen from them this evening...

I'll let everyone know what I think...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeKG
I've put a few hundred miles on one of Mark's shields with great results. My bike came with a standard (short) windshield which caused a lot of turbulence to the point where it was annoying and tiring. Switching to the Calsci wasn't a small change but a day/night kind of difference. I don't have any experience with any other brand of shield but I'll sticking with this one. I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, with the bars in the full up position, using the x-tall Calsci. A big thumbs up for Mark's work!
LeeKG,
A number of complaints with regards to the stock shield and riding 2 up. Have you had a chance to ride with your SO? What were the results?
Thanks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 11:49 pm
Rookie

No complaints from us. 80% of our miles are 2-up and we just turned 3000 miles on the GT. I asked my SO her opinion on the shield change and this is what she said: "I don't feel any difference between the first shield and the new one" (I certainly do, as I commented earlier). "This bike (the GT) is better than the Ducati (ST2)". Translated that means less turbulence moving her head around and less noise on the Beemer. We've only ridden these two faired bikes so we have nothing else for comparison. I have no idea how a LT or FJR or anything else would feel to her. Our longest ride on the GT was from LA to Reno in early March using Hwy 395 on the east side of the Sierras, with about 100 miles of that at temps from 41 to 45 degrees. She didn't have any complaints about cold air or buffeting or anything else, and was quite pleased with the trip. A fair number of those miles were at 80-85 mph on the flats. My SO is 5'9" if that helps with your decision.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 12:26 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeKG
Notice if you ever see any smashed bugs on the back of the Cal-Sci screen?

I'm getting a lot of them on the back of my CB screen. Too much back-pressure I guess?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 10:58 am
Rookie

I haven't noticed any but bugs are few and far between where I've been riding. I don't remember any on the back of the stocker either, but those miles were in less buggy areas too. Bugs on the backside sounds like some nasty backdraft.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 12:27 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Notice if you ever see any smashed bugs on the back of the Cal-Sci screen?

I'm getting a lot of them on the back of my CB screen. Too much back-pressure I guess?
My RT's Cee Bailey gets worse bugs smashed than the front. Very strange!

I got my windshiled yesterday, and put it on for my commute to the vanpool, but my short take is good and bad. I got the slightly taller one. (tall)

All the way up, it is extremely quiet but I have to look through it. airflow seems smoother.

However, with the windshield all the way up, the pressure on the back of my head is phenomanaly stong! It really pushes my head and my sholders forward with a lot of force. i think for any length of time, it will be way to tiring.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance, but it has some pretty sharp unfinished edges in the hole and the lower cuts. I think I'll have to sand the down.

Overall, I'll try it out on my Utah trip this coming weekend and see what I think. It should be about a 2500 mile weekend, so I'll have all the road test I could want, with some high speed desert roads to play on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode