rear brake and shifter position needs adjusting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2017, 1:59 pm Thread Starter
Noob

rear brake and shifter position needs adjusting

06 K12GT just acquired has driver peg lowering brackets and both the brake pedal and shifter is too high for me.
Looked at the brake pedal and I can't see a way to relocate - am I missing something?
Also how to set the shift lever to my liking?
Thanks
Tom in 60193
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2017, 4:08 pm
Noob

. at all.

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.

Last edited by Rager; May 16th, 2017 at 8:54 am. Reason: werds
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 7:07 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbdomenz View Post
06 K12GT just acquired has driver peg lowering brackets and both the brake pedal and shifter is too high for me.
Looked at the brake pedal and I can't see a way to relocate - am I missing something?
Also how to set the shift lever to my liking?
Thanks
Tom in 60193
The shift pedal is easy to adjust. If you look carefully at the shift lever, you will see that it is attached to a connecting rod. The connecting rod has two 10 mm lock nuts and a hex-shaped turnbuckle. The turnbuckle is between the two lock nuts. Use an open end 10 mm wrench or a small adjustable crescent wrench to loosen the two lock nuts. (Remember that one of the lock nuts rotates "backwards" compared with the other.) Rotate the turnbuckle with your fingers and watch the shift lever tip move up and down as the shifter rod gets shorter and longer. Find the desired location and tighten the lock nuts. You may have to repeat the adjustment until you find the "perfect spot" for the shift lever. I keep a 10 mm wrench in my glove box, so it is convenient for shift lever adjustments on long trips.

Unfortunately, the brake lever doesn't adjust. There is nothing to do but tip your ankle higher, or lift your entire foot using the "stomp technique". An alternative is to buy a brake lever extender. It won't make the brake pedal lower, which is what you really want, but the larger surface area helps some people. Because they slip on, they actually raise the pedal slightly. Pirate's Lair sells the Hornig version:

Verholen BMW K1300GT & 2006-08 K1200GT Peg Lowering Kits from Pirates' Lair at 828.628.7093 EST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 12:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Rager ????
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2017, 4:32 pm
Rookie

PM me if you don't like the pegs. I'll buy them from you.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode