I am a little suprised at the lack of help on this site! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Patrique83
  • 1 Post By dodgeem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2017, 11:56 am Thread Starter
Noob

I am a little suprised at the lack of help on this site!

I am quite new to this site. In April I had some issue with my brakes on my K1200R and posted a thread on here, explaining the issues and asking for any advice. NOTHING! Not a dicky bird from anyone.

I then posted the same question asking for help on a non BMW site I am a member of, RSVR (Yes I also have an Aprilia), and an abudance of information was forthcoming, including the contact details of a really helpful guy called Roy in the North of the UK who helped me out with the issue. The Aprilia guys all help each other out even when it's not an Aprilia!

For anyone who would like to know. The micro switch on the brake lever was the fault. It was sticking. This switch is for the modulator on the ABS and not the brake lights as I assumed. Once cleaned and the switch was free to work correctly again, all worked as it should and the brakes released as they should.

My experience of this site does make me wonder what it's for???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2017, 6:42 pm
Noob

Good on ya for posting back and defining your fix. One of my bugaboos is/are folks (anywhere) that request help and never go back to a thread and say what the result was.

I assume the microswitch is on the rear pedal. My '09 K1300GT has none on the handlebars (with ABS).

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2017, 10:33 am
Noob

Garage
I am also quite surprised of how little feedback is given here.....

And if i would have read your post about the brakes i'd would have pointed you towards the microswitches too.

Especially the footpedal one. My pumps stayed on after riding over a freshly paved road, getting a piece of tar stuck between the pedal and microsw.

Maybe join this forum (where i am mostly active)

Www.i-bmw.com

Really awesome place
Rager likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2017, 10:26 pm

From What I've seen, tons of help was here when the k1200r bikes were being imported to the US. It seems after 2009 or so traffic has slowed down quite a bit. Being a k1200r owner the older posts seem more helpful than waiting on a new response, if you are looking for k12r answers. JMHO.
Rager likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2017, 4:08 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeem View Post
From What I've seen, tons of help was here when the k1200r bikes were being imported to the US. It seems after 2009 or so traffic has slowed down quite a bit. Being a k1200r owner the older posts seem more helpful than waiting on a new response, if you are looking for k12r answers. JMHO.
Well said. I don't ask direct questions for my bike for the same reason. Search search search is the only satisfaction.

'09 K1300 GT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2017, 4:45 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hi Rager,
It was the front brake micro-switch actually.

Went out yesterday for a 200 mile ride with no more issues.

As for this site: I don't think it is meant for people wanting to understand their bikes more. It shouldn't matter if the bikes are new or not!

BTW: I did search for info, most of it was so vague it wasn't worth posting in my view.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2017, 6:44 am
Noob

Thanks Westy.

This is the second BMW I've owned. My first was a '80 R100RS that the previous own had sold off all the fairings.

I thoroughly enjoyed the way the motorcycle was built and that's the reason I acquired another BMW. (well that and I could afford a used one)

Funny thing, not long after your post, I soon had a "brake failure" light on mine. Not the ABS standard blinking triangle. -sigh- It's not going to the dealer. I can't afford that sort of thing, so I'll have a look at it myself.

From what I can see, all the fairings need to be removed. I'm guessing that leaving it in the rain for a few days without a cover, and I've already cuffed up one side - probably hasn't helped.

'09 K1300 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode