PDA

View Full Version : Heat Shield Bracket + JB Weld

motormike
Jan 12th, 2006, 9:03 pm
Does anyone know if JB weld will hold a heat shield mounting bracket to my K100RT muffler? Their website says max temp of 500F, though they recommend for engine blocks/cylinders, etc. It's just a raised little square steel bracket on edge, to hold a capture nut for the tiny 6mm heat shield bolt. I guess i have nothing to lose, because if it breaks/cracks, i won't lose the expensive bracket/nut as it is bolted to the shield, and i could get it welded at a machine shop that does stainless. Thanks

voxmagna
Jan 13th, 2006, 7:04 am
I noticed a similar thing with mine and a crack in the shield. I discovered this can happen when working in the tight space to tighten up the bolts. If you aren't careful, the bolt head twists the moulding in the last couple of thread turns.

I also realised mine on the K12 wasn't metal but some sort of plastic I think. It also 'rings' and may be responsible for resonance noise. I've seen muffler covers in ABS, so I guess if it has enough air round it, it must be ok. I think I'm resigned to replacing mine, making sure there's a plain washer under the bolt head and being more careful in future.