BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

water broke

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  voxmagna 
#1 ·
After not riding since Dec 29, 2006, I started my K1200S and let it idle for 10 to 15 minutes, when I went to leave there was a lot of water under the bike, when I rolled the bike backwards there was a trail of water. By this time steam & lots of steam was coming form the bottom of the bike. I shut it off and will call BMW in the am, will either tow it to shop or rent a trailer to bring to shop.
Does anyone know if I just broke a leak in a hose? Or is it worse such as a cracked head? I was so into riding again, now its wait for repairs.
help!!!!!

#2 ·
Did the steam smell of antifreeze? Could you see where the steam was originating off the bike? Doubt a cracked head, should have seen the temp burried at Hot and flashing lights on instrument cluster.

Really not enough info from you post to hazzard a guess what is going on. I would have thought the radiator cap failed.

#4 ·
radiator cap

I did not smell antifreeze, but there was a lot of water, the steam was from the bottom left side or the bike, is that the side of the cap?
If it is the radiator cap, does that mean all I have to do is put water in and drive to shop for them to fix, or will I be able to drive with a faulty cap?
Til I hear othewise I'm planning on either using BMWOA to tow, only if they roll the bike onto a trailer, if not I'm renting a trailer to bring to shop. WOW as we speak the BMWOA is here to tow the bike

#6 ·
All I did was take the cover off the bike, which sits in a car port, no rain can get to the bike which was sitting under cover with a trickle charger on since December. After taking the cover off I started it up (no problem, started right up), then I let it idle while I suited up, took my time as I wanted the bike to be warm. The amount of water/antifreeze under the bike it had to be from the bike, oh ya before I shut it off the temp gauge had no bars. I figured with the steam and all the water on the ground that my radiator fluid was gone so I shut it off. The bike is in the shop now, hope it is covered under warranty. The bike was sitting for 4 months, will running the bike after 4 months at idle for 20 minutes cause this overheating? And a resultant break in on the radiator cap or water line?

#7 ·
Are sure there was anti-freeze in the cooling system to start with? looking at your December temperatures, freezing seems unlikely, but that's the worst kind of damage.

When coolant leaks out, the temperature sensors often don't work, because there is no coolant around them - so you were right to be cautious. In this case the motor would have got very hot quickly and something soon starts to smell wrong as the oil is burning up and the cyl heads overheat.

If you had a leak in a radiator or hose, then quite a lot of coolant could find its way out whilst standing. You took the correct action by shutting down the motor quickly and hopefully if it was a coolant leak outside the motor, that won't be too difficult to fix or expensive, warranty or not.

#8 ·
Need to know if it was coolant or just water....could be condensation that has built up from sitting....but when you say water and water only then your ok...unless you didnt have any coolant in your system without coolant witch i think you wouldnt have done that......check your res. level and soak up some of the stuff that leaked and see if it is coolant or just water.....hard to say what and why until you can determine if it is just water or it is really coolant

#9 ·
You can stick a small drop on your finger and taste it. Water is tastless, anti-freeze based on ethylene glycol has a sweet sugary tast. Of course I'm not suggesting you should drink the stuff in large quantities or wash your mouth around with it. Don't try this with brake fluid or oils!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.