BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1200GT Mileage Spreadsheet

26K views 59 replies 26 participants last post by  XMagnaRider 
#1 ·
There have been several threads about K1200GT mileage. For your interest, here is a mileage spreadsheet for a 2007 K1200GT, which was purchased on 30 June 2007. Total mileage since June is just over 5,000 miles.

Most of the miles are a daily commute in Southern California: 5 miles on city streets with traffic lights and stop signs, plus 10 miles on the freeway, twice daily (a round trip). There have been a few longer trips. You can find them when the interval between fill-ups is shorter.

I hope that someone finds this information useful.

Notes:

1. I round up or down to the nearest 1/10th of a gallon according to the reading on the pump.
2. Miles ridden are read from the K1200GT odometer. I don't have a GPS.
3. Prices are in $US. Gallons are US gallons.
4. I always use premium gasoline, which is 91 octane here in So. Cal.
5. Most fill-ups are at "Top Tier" stations, but a couple tankfuls are from Costco.
6. I am an experienced, safe, and reasonably conservative rider, but not afraid to use the throttle when appropriate. On the freeway, I ride with the flow in the carpool lane (approx. 70-80 mph).
7. Gas mileage on the spreadsheet is computed from (1) and (2) above, not the OBC reading, which is consistently optimistic. I don't write down the OBC reading, but the last OBC reading was 38.5 mpg whereas the computed value was 36.6 mpg.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
J pipe burp tube

JamesM said:
I'd like to see pic's of that when you get it made, but it would be my luck to drop the thing in the tank. :D
James,
I probably won't make one unless I know for sure I cannot damage the canister. Dropping it into the tank, I can figure out ways around that.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

#28 ·
ncooper said:
James,
I probably won't make one unless I know for sure I cannot damage the canister. Dropping it into the tank, I can figure out ways around that.

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Just take the canister off and chunk it in the trash. A barbed connector is all you need to run the hose to the bottom of the bike from the canister. Mine has been long gone.

#29 ·
I've been meaning to reply to this for a long time, but life just kept getting in the way!!!

The timing was great, as I just gone for a milage tank trying to see what kind of milage I could get if I drove only for milage. It wasn't really safe, but my commute is almost all freeway, so I just parked it at 60 while almost getting run over for 3 commutes. It was killing me to drive so slowly, but I had to see how it went!

I got 313.2 miles out of the tank and the 'puter lied like a rug: it said I was getting 57.3 MPG!

So anyway, the data:
313.2 miles
6.602 gallons
47.44 MPG

Mostly flat freeway and sea level.

#30 ·
What sort of mileage did everyone get during their break in period? I finally had the chance to gas up and calculate the mileage and gallons for the first time (previous fillups were done after various resets in the odomoter while checking systems). 160 miles, just a tad over 5 gallons for 32mpg. Of course, this was running at various rpms and speeds, so I'm sure my numbers were lower than normal, but I am guessing I can figure in the low to mid 40's?

#34 · (Edited)
Building a wind wagon

JamesM said:
You got that right, I don't ever remember a year where we had this kind of wind this late in April. We just got back from Big Bend, and the ride down and back were brutal.
James,
I was in the Big Bend area Thursday and Friday. If you think your Texas winds are brutal you should have been with me in Kansas and Oklahoma. 40 to 50 mph wind knocked two tanks of fuel down to 35 mpg. My 06 GT never returned less than 40 mpg before that!
Ride report is in the works.

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

#35 ·
XMagnaRider said:
There have been several threads about K1200GT mileage. For your interest, here is a mileage spreadsheet for a 2007 K1200GT, which was purchased on 30 June 2007. Total mileage since June is just over 5,000 miles.

Most of the miles are a daily commute in Southern California: 5 miles on city streets with traffic lights and stop signs, plus 10 miles on the freeway, twice daily (a round trip). There have been a few longer trips. You can find them when the interval between fill-ups is shorter.

Notes:

1. I round up or down to the nearest 1/10th of a gallon according to the reading on the pump.
5. Most fill-ups are at "Top Tier" stations, but a couple tankfuls are from Costco.
6. I am an experienced, safe, and reasonably conservative rider, but not afraid to use the throttle when appropriate. On the freeway, I ride with the flow in the carpool lane (approx. 70-80 mph).
7. Gas mileage on the spreadsheet is computed from (1) and (2) above, not the OBC reading, which is consistently optimistic. I don't write down the OBC reading, but the last OBC reading was 38.5 mpg whereas the computed value was 36.6 mpg.

I just love seeing US fuel prices LOL ... I know the US gallon is slightly smaller than the UK ones but we're about $10 per gallon .. yep 10 USD per gallon .... at present :)

#36 ·
slparry said:
I just love seeing US fuel prices LOL ... I know the US gallon is slightly smaller than the UK ones but we're about $10 per gallon .. yep 10 USD per gallon .... at present :)
Steve,
We are becoming a country of whinners and cry-babies that think everything should be given to us.

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

#37 ·
Yeah, but you UK guys get a lot of social services priced in with your gasoline along with your silly VAT tax which is as high as hell.

Years ago the taxes the CA voters approved were to fix the roads. Somehow that got interpreted as overtime for law enforcement to do roadside checkpoints and parking lot raids on car enthusiasts who do engine mods that bring in other agencies from 100+ miles away (also, nice overtime) instead of using cheaper local services. Like this bust. Meanwhile, road repair is pushed aside.

But you got to love the California governor who spends $30,000 a day(!) to fly his Gulfstream jet from the state capital in Sacramento, CA to Santa Monica, CA near his home in Brentwood. But at least he also pays a $43 per hour carbon tax.

Link: Governor's Gulfstream daily costs.
He also promotes himself as the "Green Governor" and tells us peons how we should behave in our fuel usage and air quality standards. :boom:
Mack

#38 ·
GMack said:
But you got to love the California governor who spends $30,000 a day(!) to fly his Gulfstream jet from the state capital in Sacramento, CA to Santa Monica, CA near his home in Brentwood. But at least he also pays a $43 per hour carbon tax.

Link: Governor's Gulfstream daily costs.
He also promotes himself as the "Green Governor" and tells us peons how we should behave in our fuel usage and air quality standards. :boom:
Mack
GMack,
Well he can bite me too!

re: my old thread http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13675

Norris "the Green Cowboy" Cooper

#40 ·
Here is a current release of my mileage spreadsheet. The spreadsheet also includes maintenance records on the bike - repairs, warranty updates, new tires, etc. I decided to post it once a year, on my K1200GT's "birthday". If people really want to see the data more often than once a year, let me know.

In March, I started to record the average mph reading from the OBC. The average mph reading may give you an idea of the city to highway driving ratio. A higher average mph implies more highway miles. A lower average mph implies more city miles, probably my daily commutes.

I am also recording the mpg reading from the OBC. I note that the OBC mpg reading is optimistic compared with the actual mileage, based on the odometer and gallons at the pump. Most of the time, the OBC reads over 2 mpg higher per tankful compared with the actual, true computed value.

Each time I add fuel, I reset the trip meter (T1), the OBC's average mph, and the OBC's mpg settings back to zero.

Enjoy!

Attachments

#41 ·
Norris I agree

Norris, I agree, mine runs out of steam around 270km/h

#42 ·
Interesting. I was giving it everything it had just to get to 150. Then again, that was fully loaded and pushing a huge AeroFlow windshield and AeroGards at 6,000 feet. :D

The funny thing is my GPS now claims a top speed of 160+ mph. Um, I think I would have remembered that. :confused:

#43 ·
XMagnaRider said:

Notes:

Well your very lucky with the price of fuel in the USA i wish i was i was over there. i think its costing me four times the price you are getting it for. Try using 98 octane fuel you just may gat more MPG
Regards
Tom Clark

#44 · (Edited)
tomclarke4 said:
Well your very lucky with the price of fuel in the USA i wish i was i was over there. i think its costing me four times the price you are getting it for. Try using 98 octane fuel you just may gat more MPG
Regards
Tom Clark
Thank you for your recommendation, Tom.

Unfortunately, 91 octane is the highest octane rating available here in So. Cal. Most gas (petrol) stations offer a choice of 87, 89, or 91 octane. Some offer only 87 and 91 octane and skip the middle grade. We have many brands of gasoline to choose from, but the octane choices are the same at ever station.

I have seen 92 octane in other states. Even when the octane ratings are the same, there are different formulations for emissions purposes. In California, the formulations change between summer and winter. I note that I get much better mileage from a tank of Oregon fuel. (Some of the difference may be related to the temperature of the fuel when it is pumped in.)

98 octane seems very high. Is it possible that the octane rating is computed differently in Cheshire, England? The BMW K1200GT User Manual talks about RON numbers, but I don't know how they relate to octane, assuming that there is a relationship.

P.S. Today is the day that we celebrate our independence from your country. Please tell George III that we still don't need him any more. Now we have our own absolute ruler named George. He shares some of the same traits as your George III. :crazy:

#45 ·
We use 98 octane in Australia also. 92 is the norm, 95 is premium and 98 is what most European vehicles take. Not every service station has 98 octane. I think I read somewhere that the US uses a different rating (as they do for everything else also as the USA is the only country in the world OOPS!!!). Anyway it is probably the same as the US 91 or something. Maybe someone who is expert in this can comment.

#46 ·
BobD said:
We use 98 octane in Australia also. 92 is the norm, 95 is premium and 98 is what most European vehicles take. Not every service station has 98 octane. I think I read somewhere that the US uses a different rating (as they do for everything else also as the USA is the only country in the world OOPS!!!). Anyway it is probably the same as the US 91 or something. Maybe someone who is expert in this can comment.
I am not an expert but my son works for an oil company.

From Wiki:

"The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON)."

#47 ·
Today is the 2nd anniversary of my K1200GT purchase. Here is the latest version of the gas mileage and maintenance spreadsheet. I hope it proves to be helpful.

I redacted the names of maintenance locations for reasons of my own. I had planned to "back fill" the costs of maintenance, but couldn't find the time. Perhaps next year.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

XMR

Attachments

#48 ·
Mpg

My average is 42 - 44 mpg over 21,000 miles on my '06. That is 95% two-up fun touring. Mileage is from tripmeter (3% error) and pump gallons, so I expect actual miles traveled is slightly less lowering real mpg. I put in about 5 gallons at 200 to 220 tripmeter miles.

#50 ·
OK; on my K1300GT (09 model); over her 8500 mile life, she's averaged 47.8 mpg, (UK gallons mind you), which is pretty amazing. Oh, that works out at a shade under 40 mpg using US gallons.

#51 ·
Dude.....just a bit anal retentive? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.