BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Tire approval for The K1200S

24K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Douglas M 
#1 ·
Transferred post, Originator: Locus

Here some info conserning Tire approval for The K1200S (other then Metzelers M1's):
(I will try to keep this 'list' updated)
'Released Tires for The K1200S
Michelin

Avon

Bridgestone BT014

update, but still no approval in Germany:

The following Tires are under investigation for approval for The K1200S (actually these Tires should have been released in late July, but no info yet)

1. Conti Road Attack/SportAttack
2. Metzeler Z6
and...
3. Pirelli Diablo

(Font: 120/70 ZR 17 M/C (58W) TL Diablo Front - 2.50 BAR )
(Rear: 190/50 ZR 17 M/C (73W) TL Diablo - 2.90 BAR )

and here are Airpress recommended by BMW, for The K1200S:

one-up....................=2,2bar/32psi(front)... 2,5bar/ 36psi(aft)
one-up with Luggage..=2,5bar/36psi(front).... 2,9bar/ 42psi(aft)
two-up with Luggage..= 2,5 bar/36psi(front)....2,9bar/ 42psi/aft)

See less See more
#2 ·
BMW recommends one set of pressures for all riding conditions in my manual - "Rider's Manual K 1200 S", BMW Motorrad,
Order No.: 01 41 7 694 791, 09.2004, 2nd edition GB / RF on Page 126 and the back cover:

Tyre pressures: Front: 2.50 bar; and Rear: 2.90 bar.

" One-up: Front 2.50 bar; Rear 2.90 bar
Solo operation with luggage: Front 2.50 bar; Rear 2.90 bar
Operation with pillion passenger
(and luggage): Front 2.50 bar; Rear 2.90 bar"

Has BMW published revised recommended tyre pressures in a newer edition?
My manual is the 2nd edition published September 2004.

#5 ·
Just to give you all a clue why this thread is here.

In Germany, either living there or having your Vehicle on German-plates, you have to attend the Laws. And the German Laws goes 'short' like this:

The German Approval Board of Vehicle (TUF) along with The Manufactor, in our case BMW, both have to approve of every Tire for every Vehicle to get a Registration. This mainly due speed, as Germany still have roads without Speed Limits :) :) (could some of you understand why I love German Autobahn's).
This Approval and time before a Tire is approved are depending on both the above and Tire Manufactors...who wants to sell tires...and to what Vehicle...ans so on.

Over the Pond here in Europe, every country, with or without a membership in EU, tends to go along with what the EU Laws are saying.. a little more clear ?

#7 ·
bhaynnes said:
So Kjell, did you finally get some sleep?
Bill, thanks for caring for my health... LOL, yes I did..then I took TheS for a 3 hours spin..and I can tell you, this bike even have the ability to remove stress - new option? buildt in??, did you know that????:) :) ..and not to forget Bill, thanks for your help and support.

#8 ·
Transferred post, Originator: Locus

Here some info conserning Tire approval for The K1200S (other then Metzelers M1's):
(I will try to keep this 'list' updated)
'Released Tires for The K1200S
Michelin

Avon

Bridgestone BT014

update, but still no approval in Germany:

The following Tires are under investigation for approval for The K1200S (actually these Tires should have been released in late July, but no info yet)

1. Conti Road Attack/SportAttack
2. Metzeler Z6
and...
3. Pirelli Diablo

(Font: 120/70 ZR 17 M/C (58W) TL Diablo Front - 2.50 BAR )
(Rear: 190/50 ZR 17 M/C (73W) TL Diablo - 2.90 BAR )

and here are Airpress recommended by BMW, for The K1200S:

one-up....................=2,2bar/32psi(front)... 2,5bar/ 36psi(aft)
one-up with Luggage..=2,5bar/36psi(front).... 2,9bar/ 42psi(aft)
two-up with Luggage..= 2,5 bar/36psi(front)....2,9bar/ 42psi/aft)
Locus,

Thanks for posting these over 15 years ago.

Its aggravating to have to dig out my owners manual and do the Bar to PSI conversion.

Personally, If I'm hitting the twisties guys, I drop it to 34 and 38 PSI respectfully. I just like that bite better!

Thanks again!

#13 ·
I believe you will like them. I was at the MOA rally in Tennessee a couple of years ago and need tires. They didn't have Michelins in my tire size, and I really needed tires so one of my riding buddies got a set on his GT so I got a set for my K1200. Like I said, neither he or I can tell the difference going from Michelin Pilots to these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.