BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Remus vs. Akrapovic Exhaust

23K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Delos 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have been researching for the best product / trying to find the difference between the Remus Hexacone Titanium Slip on (with catalytic converter) vs. Akrapovic Titanium Slip on apparently to no avail! Everyone's opinions seem to be all over the place!

I can get the Akro for $1450 and Remus for $800 (both before labor)

-- which sounds better?
-- which looks better?
-- which is better quality and longer lasting?
-- is the Akro worth the greater price or is Remus just as good?

If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and have a great day.

#2 ·
Hello all,

I have been researching for the best product / trying to find the difference between the Remus Hexacone Titanium Slip on (with catalytic converter) vs. Akrapovic Titanium Slip on apparently to no avail! Everyone's opinions seem to be all over the place!

I can get the Akro for $1450 and Remus for $800 (both before labor)

-- which sounds better?
-- which looks better?
-- which is better quality and longer lasting?
-- is the Akro worth the greater price or is Remus just as good?

If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and have a great day.

#3 ·
just go with whatever looks better to you and whatever you can afford.

there isn't enough of a performance difference to notice.
they both are significantly louder than stock, especially when on the throttle.

Build quality of both are nice but nowhere near OEM. That thing is built like a tank.

If it weren't for the weight of the OEM, I would have kept it.

#4 ·
I've been running the full Akra carbon/titanium on my K12S, and have just started using a Remus titanium slip on for my new K13S. The Akra has a deeper sound, but both sound great. i'm trying to decide if i should remove the full Akra and install on the K13. Can't quite make up my mind. I like both, and the HP gains are minimal for the full exhaust. In you situation, i'd probably go with the less expensive Remus.

#5 ·
Bought the bike with this on,ran awfull,didn't really like,sounded OK.

Then went to a Laser Tri Oval,didn't like that either,no photo.

Bought a second hand Akra,came more than cheap enough,when it arrived heart sank even in the parcel it weighed nothing in comparison to the others and was concerned about how noisey it would be,it wasn't I was amazed,IMO it looked better as well,and the real pay off the bike ran way better.

Here it is,make your own mind up.

#9 ·
Someone will have to explain to me how a straight through perforated pipe with a different label makes a noticeable difference in perceived performance.

Difference from stock is understandable but all the aftermarkets that i have seen are just a straight perforated pipe.

#10 ·
JCW said:
Someone will have to explain to me how a straight through perforated pipe with a different label makes a noticeable difference in perceived performance.

Difference from stock is understandable but all the aftermarkets that i have seen are just a straight perforated pipe.

I dont know enough technically to explain, but I know there are massive differences, if you can find it go look at the early K1200RS websites that Shiva did, I remember they did a dyno test of about 3 different aftermarket pipes, and it was astonishing.

#11 ·
I had the dyno graphs from Ken at evoluzione for the k1200s and slip on pipes. they were all within 2-5hp. IMO, there is no significant difference in slip ons in regards to hp improvement. In my mind, there can't be. At least not much.

the remus complete system with the headers had a 5-10hp increase in the midrange (on Ken's dyno). Changing the header lengths, transition from the exhaust ports I can understand. But replacing the perforated pipe with another perforated pipe?

I'll dig around to see if I can find the graphs.

#12 ·
JCW said:
I had the dyno graphs from Ken at evoluzione for the k1200s and slip on pipes. they were all within 2-5hp. IMO, there is no significant difference in slip ons in regards to hp improvement. In my mind, there can't be. At least not much.

the remus complete system with the headers had a 5-10hp increase in the midrange (on Ken's dyno). Changing the header lengths, transition from the exhaust ports I can understand. But replacing the perforated pipe with another perforated pipe?

I'll dig around to see if I can find the graphs.
Outright HP, I think your right, not much between em. But fueling/driveability and, moreso from my experience, midrange, can really suffer. Thats what I felt with the Remus on my 13, big hole around 4500RPM thats not there with the OE can, Ive not tried an Akra so I cant comment.

#13 ·
Special-K said:
Outright HP, I think your right, not much between em. But fueling/driveability and, moreso from my experience, midrange, can really suffer. Thats what I felt with the Remus on my 13, big hole around 4500RPM thats not there with the OE can, Ive not tried an Akra so I cant comment.
Now wait a sec. :)

I said that I can understand a difference from OEM as that exhaust has an inline cat and I don't believe is a straight through design. the 13 has an exhaust valve as well. Both of those would provide some exhaust "backpressure" or more accurately, resonance tuning, that might boost midrange.

but the difference between the aftermarket slip ons is what I'm not understanding if all you are replacing is the label and the outside shape of the can. Maybe a slight change in the length of the pipe?

#14 ·
You assume all after market pipes are the same and I don't think they are,I've had 3 different pipes on and sure as hell didn't all run the same thats for sure,and the shock you get when going from a stocker to a Remus is the same when you go from a Remus to an Akra,or in laymans terms the Remus weighed a ton and ran crap. :) ,the Akra weigh's nothing and runs like a charm and still does.

The bottom line for anyone interested,put your hand in your pocket and buy the different ones and find out like I did,it can be expensive but you do get to find out first hand,If the Remus had been the better pipe I'd have sold the Akra I've no loyalties but it wasn't.

#15 ·
chriscanning said:
You assume all after market pipes are the same and I don't think they are,I've had 3 different pipes on and sure as hell didn't all run the same thats for sure,and the shock you get when going from a stocker to a Remus is the same when you go from a Remus to an Akra,or in laymans terms the Remus weighed a ton and ran crap. :) ,the Akra weigh's nothing and runs like a charm and still does.

The bottom line for anyone interested,put your hand in your pocket and buy the different ones and find out like I did,it can be expensive but you do get to find out first hand,If the Remus had been the better pipe I'd have sold the Akra I've no loyalties but it wasn't.
Yes, i read what you wrote the first time and i guess frankly i don't believe it.

Sorry for sounding like an ass. It just doesn't make sense to me that there would be THAT noticeable a difference. And it's not a very common opinion i've encountered in the 6 years i've been around these boards.

#16 ·
Exhaust threads have been done to death. And honestly this is the first I'm hearing that one slip on is soo much worse than another.

Here;s Ken from the now defunct Evoluzione.net post on the slip on dyno shootout. The graphs unfortunately are gone. As is Evoluzione. :(

http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3608

And here was Ken's recommendation...

by evoluzione on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:51 pm

i guess after buying all the other exhausts i just didn't have enough left to get the akrapovic

seriously, there were several we didn't test (two bros, staintune, akrapovic) but the point i was making with the tests was that they were all so close in performance that without a dyno you can't tell them apart. that's why we tell customers to buy based on looks, sound or price but not to worry about performance differences. now full systems, that is a whole different story.

regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
phone: 951.639.0951

#17 ·
Well I have to say the important part in all this was I ended up the what I felt was the best running pipe,not the best on a dyno or the most HP because I didn't check on a dyno,but the cleanest off the throttle even at low speed in a high gear,so as the expression goes 'I'm alright Jack' :)

#18 ·
chriscanning said:
Well I have to say the important part in all this was I ended up the what I felt was the best running pipe,not the best on a dyno or the most HP because I didn't check on a dyno,but the cleanest off the throttle even at low speed in a high gear,so as the expression goes 'I'm alright Jack' :)
I'll buy that.
:xcheer:

#19 ·
I am going to go with the Akrapovic K13 Titanium slip-on (eventually) for a couple of reasons;

1. To my eyes, it is the best looking exhaust can for our bikes, bar none.

2. BMW offers the Akrapovic Titanium slip-on as a factory accessory, calling it an optional 'sport exhaust'. BMW is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and they have engineers, R&D, and the money and resources etc. to study and test these parts, before giving them their stamp of approval. If BMW recommends the Akrapovic, that is good enough for me.

#21 ·
I like my Remus, although I also installed a pcv and k&n filters all at the same time. Not sure of the hp mid range, etc. benefits without being able to remap, although sound and looks are important. It's too quiet with the baffle in though, and sounds great without the baffle!

#22 ·
Please disregard the messy garage. I had worked hard out there in winter installing pcv and K & N air filters in that cold unheated garage. Sounds good to me!

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.