BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1200S center stand

23K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  Sharkalec 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any good photos of a K1200S with the center stand installed?
Looking to see what the faring cut outs look like and what the bike looks on the center stand and with the stand up.
Thanks.

#2 ·
The lower fairing has a template on the inside that will giude you when it's cut. The cut essentially eliminates the heat shield area in front of the rear wheel. I did the cut myself using a Dremel...took about 30 minutes. After I figured out a way to suspend the bike during the center stand installation (and a way to connect that damn spring) that too only took 30 minutes. The stand tucks up nicely...you hardly notice it. Do it.
Pete
'05 S Granite Gray (of course)

#4 ·
Osm62

Michael,

When I first contemplated the KS I wanted the centre stand but when I saw how much of the belly-pan was to be removed I hung off from ordering the centre stand to see how I got on with just the sidestand.

3 months and 4,800 miles later I have still not gone for the centre stand as
  1. We Scots are rather frugal and BMW options are expensive... ;)
  2. I have been happy with the side stand to date...
  3. I have been concerned that the lower fairing / belly-pan was designed to extend almost to the rear wheel for some good reason. With the centre stand section removed, is the rear suspension not more susceptible to getting covered in road muck... reducing life expectancy.
I would value your observations on No' 3.

Thanks.

#5 ·
footprint on the sidestand is small, I've dropped my bike twice on 6 months/8,000 miles, in large part because of that design. Careful on any incline, slight as it may be, engage 1st gear of course. I have the centerstand and have zero regrets, I highly recommend it.

#6 ·
Thanks Jimmy,

The foot print was one of the reasons I initially wanted the centre stand. However I leave her in 1st and make sure the small side stand "foot" is on something solid. I have also been known to carry a disc for the "foot" to sit on if the ground is soft (grass or hot blacktop etc.).

How have you found the cut away fairing for allowing road crud into the rear suspension links?

#7 ·
Rennie, I'll have to check out that area at first light this morning, I hadn't thought about it to look. Will report later today. Also, if you get the centerstand, careful hoisting the bike up on it if there's any moisture on your right foot...my foot slipped off in the middle of hoisting it up and lost control, bike over. Lessons learned but damn I hate doing stupid things!

#9 ·
I rode for 1000 miles with no center stand and have 5000 miles with center stand. I have noticed NO difference in dirt or much accumulating anywhere and I've driven in some nasty stuff both before and after.

Besides the fact that I can now park in soft gravel, clean my wheels much more easily, remove the wheels more easily, I've also noticed another benefit. If you ever just want to sit in your garage and stare at your wonderful bike, it's much more enjoyable to stare at her and appreciate her beauty when the bike is on its center stand. When leaned, you can't really ponder her well on the left side because of the angle.

No clearance issues. It was $235 installed. I tried for an entire day to get that spring hooked up and ended up with bruised pride and several cut and bruised fingers. Kudos to you guys that were able to do it yourself, I wished I could have seen how you did it.

#10 ·
Catatafish said:
When leaned, you can't really ponder her well on the left side because of the angle.
Yeah, butt...you can make "Vrroooom, Vroom" noises in character much eaiser when leaned on the side stand.

Just pointing out there are good points for each...

#12 ·
Its real easy to put on if you RTFM. The only thing i bought was
a jigsaw.

There just isn't a lot to to it once you cut the cowling

You install the spring bracket loosely, then attach the right
side leg with the short bolt

Then you hook up the springs, and using your superhuman
strength pull it back to align the hole. If you aren't
superhuman a tie down strap works too.

I didn't hang the bike, but a 2x4 as noted will give you some space.
PUT IT IN GEAR to avoid suprises. Don't forget to tighten
the bracket and right bolt. The bushing is hard to get separately

Best

(PM me if you need a mounting kit, I have an extra one)

#19 ·
Hi All,

You have convinced me as well...

LLWells said:
Thanks for the pic's. I really miss this convenience as noted on my other BMW's. I just placed an order to add the center stand next week during my 600 mile service.
Centre Stand ordered today so I'll have fun fitting it early next week when it arrives... though I really would have preferred not to have to attack my fairing lower with some form of cutting / grinding implement :eek: .

How is it best cut?

#20 ·
rlmr,
I used a Dremel. It was actually quite fun. It was a 10 minute job that I turned into 45 minutes cause it was fun, easy, and I got to play with different bits.

The plastic has a pre molded raised line that you just follow with a cutting tool, like a Dremel. Then you can go in and sand it smooth if you'd like. Don't put too much time in it cause from 2 feet above you can't even notice the cuts anyway.

What will really suck, is trying to get that last bolt in the hole while you're pulling on the center stand. I did everything myself but the last part and the shop finished the job for me in 10 minutes.

Good luck.

Todd

#23 ·
I have recently installed the Ilmberger rear hugger and I can say the quality of the hugger is really good,also it does help to keep the bike much cleaner,well worth buying,also very easy to fix on by just removing rear wheel and it is attached to 3 bolts on the rear drive unit.

#26 ·
Thanks.

kralties said:
Yes that is the hugger it is actually made by Ilmberger in Germany,well worth the cost.
I am sure I remember a thread from i-BMW which pondered the question, was the Ilmberger Hugger made by Sandbar Composites... or was the Sandbar Composites Hugger made by Ilmberger. So I guess they are one in the same no matter who makes them.

Anyway the good news is that, as promised, my BMW dealer got the stand and mounting kit in and I have collected it... I now have to find time to cut the fairing lowers and fit the stand. As a point of information and per previous posts in this thread... The mounting kit box was sealed with the BMW original packing seal (not tampered with locally in other words) when I got it the instructions itemise the contents, which should include lubricant... this is missing. So it will be the marine grease as mentioned in this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.