BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

I fought the deer and the ...

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Ditchdog 
#1 ·
My ride out to Torrey ( A BMW Sport Touring.com biannual event)September was one for the books.

Since most of yo from here weren't there, and since I can't seem to find the time to write up a proper long winded version, here is a short version:

I started in the early afternoon after working the night before. I figured on getting a good start from somewhere closer on Thursday and arriving Thursday afternoon.

So I found myself on the east side of the Sierras in Bridgeport as it was getting dark. I got a room, a bite to eat and collapsed into bed. One of the wonderful things about my schedule is being in a constant state of sleep deprivation. So I'd been up plenty long enough that I slept nice and late the next morning. So much for an early start.

So I left about 4 hours later than I had hoped...

As I was crossing the desert (trying to make up some time) I came across a familiar looking GS:

Paul (Old Fart)

This was in the afternoon, and I debated stopping for the night, but decided I'd press on. While pumping gas Paul passed by, so I decided I'd stop and say hello. He was getting a room (in Caliente, Nv.) and when I told him I was pressing on, he looked at me for a long pause, and said, "Very well, but be careful." I knew exactly what he was thinking, and it was tempting to get a room also, and have a nice relaxing dinner with Paul. However, I felt since I was so close, and WIDE awake, I decided to press on.

As it got dark and I was grabbing gas and food in Cedar City, I decided to ignore my GPS and take a longer way around, since I thought that would be the shortest exposure to deer country. Well, it was a plan anyway...

I stopped one last time In Richfield for gas and to put another layer on. It was getting chilly.

So on 24, just about 30 miles from Torrey, out came 3 deer, crossing from right to left. I didn't swerve, heck I'm not sure I could have anyway! I hit the deer square in the middle, twice in about .01 seconds, and then through my oil/blood covered visor realized, I was not only dragging it, but was getting pushed towards the right edge of the road. I actually gave it a little gas, and once the deer rolled under the bike and I came back down, the bike seemed perfectly controllable. (We paced it off, and I drug the deer about 180 feet) However, the ABS light was already flashing. I tried the brakes, and did a few, VERY gentle swerves, and decided in light of being in the middle of nowhere, to press on.

The next light was the water temp light. Press on.

The next light was the oil waring light. Press on.

Next the temp went to 0, and I knew I was out of water in the radiator, so I decided to stop on a hill, hoping my phone would work. I was also within walking distance of Koosharem by now. Overall, I went about 8 miles after striking the deer.

I will hold off posting pictures of the deer, as I think these are bad enough. (If you honestly feel the need to see more pics, the gallery can be found: Here .)

I could not have been any luckier! There are about a 1000 ways this did not work out with a happy ending!

So, hopefully this is a good reminder for folks to LISTEN to that little voice when it says stop! Tired/deer/dehydrated/etc. the results can be the same, and you can't always take another swing at getting it right!

As usual, folks from the BMWST board were amazing in both the rescue and awesome offers and suggestions of how to get me home! Special shout out to Eddddddddddd!

I was very happy with the way Progressive insurance treated me and I had a check in my hand in just a little over 2 weeks!

So without further ado, BMW folks meet Bambi...

Bambi, meet the board:

2011 Triumph Sprint GT

See less See more
#2 ·
Amazing story and that you controlled the bike and survived to tell us with photos!

It would not be that difficult (although may not be legal) to build a short range radar alert. For a straight road and say 10 seconds to react at 70 mph, you would need to detect the target at 1000 feet.

It would play hell with leos trying to log your speed though. :)

#5 ·
Rich,

As I said on your first post about this...sure glad you're alright after that big hit.

That ride to Torrey is great but...much better in the day time..and still need a watchful eye for those critters.

That new Triumph looks rather nice :clap: .
Let us know how it works out....maybe a Tri in my future.

#6 ·
Wow, what a night. Like you said, could have been worse. Give us a write up on the Sprint GT when you get a chance. I narrowed my search down to the Sprint GT and the K1300GT (after deciding not to go the route of Concours and FJR). Ended up with the K1300GT. The reach to the bars on the Sprint GT felt a bit too sporty for long days (for me anyway). Have fun. Bike looks great.

#7 ·
I am very glad you came out ok and impressed you were able to keep the bike upright. I hit a deer last Nov 10 and spent 3 days in the hospital with a punctured lung, broken ribs and broken hand. I wish I would have been riding my K1200GT but it was still in the shop. I like your choice of replacement, I did the same.

#10 ·
kbmwrs said:
I'm heading to the Motorcycle show this Sat...I'll check it out.

Are those side bags as big as BMW's? They look slightly narrower although they have the same look.
The side cases are about the same size but seem a little larger. I think this is due to their shape which is a little longer. My portfolio I bring to work fits in the Triumph bags but not the BMW's. Sadly the Sprint is being discontinued and being replaced by the Trophy. Also a very nice bike but the Sprint offers a lot for less than $10K!

I only have about 10,000 miles since March but it has been flawless. If you go to the triumph forums the problems are few. They have been around for over a decade but even the early examples report very few issues.

#11 ·
1951vbs said:
The side cases are about the same size but seem a little larger. I think this is due to their shape which is a little longer. My portfolio I bring to work fits in the Triumph bags but not the BMW's. Sadly the Sprint is being discontinued and being replaced by the Trophy. Also a very nice bike but the Sprint offers a lot for less than $10K!

I only have about 10,000 miles since March but it has been flawless. If you go to the triumph forums the problems are few. They have been around for over a decade but even the early examples report very few issues.
I traded a 2002 Trophy 1200 for my KGT, Having ridden both what I would be interested in knowing what you think about the differences between the two.
Personally I find that KGT feels lighter and more manageable, the KGT Brakes are better, but the wind protection was better, the Triumph felt faster but was probably not. The Transmission on the Trophy was much better than the Beemer, much better. Luggage is better on the Beemer. These ae my opinions, YMMV.

#12 ·
DCNKGT said:
I traded a 2002 Trophy 1200 for my KGT, Having ridden both what I would be interested in knowing what you think about the differences between the two.
Personally I find that KGT feels lighter and more manageable, the KGT Brakes are better, but the wind protection was better, the Triumph felt faster but was probably not. The Transmission on the Trophy was much better than the Beemer, much better. Luggage is better on the Beemer. These ae my opinions, YMMV.
There are some differences between a 2002 Trophy and a 2011 Sprint GT and a major one is the luggage. I never had any complaints about the K1200GT bags but the Sprints (and new Trophy 1200) bags are as good of quality, a little larger and the latches seem a little nicer. As far as handling and power goes I find it about the same. The biggest difference is riding position. The Sprint GT is more like my K1200S. The Trophy 1200 would be more like the K12-13GT and R1200RS. The transmission, clutch and fuel injection is way ahead of BMW. I also like the soul of the triple cylinder motor more than the slant 4. The biggest difference is price as my 2007 K1200GT was a little over $23,000 and the Sprint was just $10,000 new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.