BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Left side air filter install using BMW S parts

10K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  abelard 
#1 ·
I chose to open the left side of airbox and use K1200S parts to complete it. Initial cost was reduced over the EVO kit, but will be made up later with air filter replacement costs.
I chose this route because I wanted to use OEM filters and wanted to just do it myself ;)

Parts needed for my 2006 K1200R installation:

13717703583 Air Filter element (qty 1) $19.50
13717675519 inlet manifold left (qty 1) $92.00 (part number is for left side K1200S)
13717672549 latch striker (qty 2) $2.00 each.
(total $115.50)

Step 1, prepare the new S inlet manifold to fit the KR. I did not take a pre-cut photo, but this is close, just minus a blade width. I used the blue painters tape which is 3/4 inch to get a straight line and as a guide to cut on.

I put the tape along the bottom, and cut it with a saws-all, this was the final result.

Here was a simple fit check, and to see how the filter fit into the base.

Step 2 was to remove all the front bodywork.
Step 3 Disconnect your battery
Step 4 was to remove the right side air filter.
...Through the now open right side, I used a set of bilge fingers (not sure what they are really called, but they look like this)

I used that tool to place a lint free rag on top of all the velocity stacks to keep debris out.

Step 5 was to open the airbox.
... I was all set with a heat knife, but I found it did not work well for me. It melted the plastic, but was hard to control and was leaving an uneven (melted) edge. I wound up using the heat knift to just score the plastic and used a dremel tool to make the final cut through the plastic. Here is an image before I cleaned up the edges.

The lint free rag helped to keep things out of the velocity stacks, but there was still a little bit of debris in the airbox. It settled down to the front of the airbox. I tried using another lint free rag to get it out, and that was hard to do. The easiest was just using my fingers. Slide them around the front bottom of the airbox and the debris will stick to your fingers coming out easily.

Step 6 install the new unit along with the retaining clips

Step 7 re-install the bodywork
Step 8 connect the battery and preform a TPS calibration
(key on, throttle end stop to end stop 3 times, key off)
Step 9 go for a ride and enjoy.

See less See more
#3 ·
Excellent!!! :teeth :teeth

#5 · (Edited)
GeorgeRex said:
What are your impressions of noise levels? Others have said that the EVO mod makes a wicked sound.
I doubt realistically the EVO makes a 'wicked' sound, and as others have said with EVO's there is not much difference in noise. I do think there is slightly more noise from the front end. It does appear to make my Remus pipe breath better. I'll need to put some more miles on it before I make a definitive judgment. I have not had much chance to ride since completing the install yesterday.

#6 ·
How refreshing to hear a real answer. The "wicked" noise was probably the result of auto suggestion which of course makes the aftermarket world go round. I am interested to hear your long term impressions of this mod.

Coastie said:
I doubt realistically the EVO makes a 'wicked' sound, and as others have said with EVO's there is not much difference in noise. I do think there is slightly more noise from the front end. It does appear to make my Remus pipe breath better. I'll need to put some more miles on it before I make a definitive judgment. I have not had much chance to ride since completing the install yesterday.

#7 ·
The Evo filters do make a "wicked" sound, but whether that's due to the actual filters used or the removal of the snorkels or the fact that there's now two filters is difficult to say. But the combination does make a difference... and the sound is WICKED!! :D :teeth :teeth

#10 ·
Coastie said:
I added the EVO filters and already had a Remus exhaust, granted the term "wicked" is subjective, but Joker is right, when I added the EVO's it does make a "wicked" sound at high RPM'S no doubt about it, not ear bleeding mind you just "wicked"...............

#12 ·
TheJoker said:
The Evo filters do make a "wicked" sound, but whether that's due to the actual filters used or the removal of the snorkels or the fact that there's now two filters is difficult to say. But the combination does make a difference... and the sound is WICKED!! :D :teeth :teeth
+1

#13 ·
"wicked sound" is correct.
the upgrade creates noticeable power when riding which translates into wicked acceleration as well. i love it.

#14 ·
Aviator1 said:
Wicked is right. When you do the exhaust can, yes the bike gets a little loud. Then go put on these evo race filters. The intakes now howl or wail or snarls or whatever you may want to describe it. But it is wicked awesome!
:yeah

can't wait to get my installed!! you make it sound like i can take off "To infinity and beyond . . . . "

:p

#15 ·
wicked is definitely a good term. i cut the other side of the air box and when you take the snorkel off of the other side you get a good healthy "growl" when you accelerate.

#16 ·
As I've said before....I honestly can't hear mine (EVO intake).

My exhaust is too damn loud......:dance:

#17 ·
2tall2fall said:
As I've said before....I honestly can't hear mine (EVO intake).

My exhaust is too damn loud......:dance:
WHAT..???

#18 ·
#19 ·
Soooo wrong!

Coastie said:

#20 ·
+1 if you give the throttle just a bit of a crack, people look from a block away. The sound is so unique people genuinely are looking to figure out what the heck it is that is making that ungodly growl.

TheJoker said:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.