BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

No More Baboon Ass! The Wunderlich Triton 2 K1200S Tail Light

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JCW 
#1 ·
Thought I'd share... The following (probably edited down a bit) will be in my December Newsletter... Didn't want to wait to spread the word...

The factory BMW K1200S & K1200R tail light is an abomination to anyone with sight and quite possibly .. even the blind. It's been the #1 thorn in my side since I bought my K1200S causing many sleepless nights, occasional nausea, vomiting, and erectile dysfunction. What were the Germans thinking?? The factory piece looks like a baboon's ass after a gang rape.. or Mick Jagger’s tongue after a gang rape.. Many say.. "I've gotten used to it".. which is probably true. I've heard that convicts get used to violent prison sex after a while so I guess that’s plausible. When I saw the first picture of Wunderlich's Triton 2 LED Tail Light, I leapt for the phone to BMW Santa Cruz.. the lone importer of Wunderlich products and ordered one. WooHoo!!

After a long 7 freakin’ month wait I received mine just this last weekend and immediately read through the simpleton instructions and went about the "plug-n-play install. The first thing you notice is that the wiring coming out of the back of the Triton 2 looks like a HYDRA.. the nine-headed water-serpent of Greek mythology with things coming out all over the place. In actuality there are 10 wires coming out of it PLUS a separate 1 foot long harness with a transistor built into it to make the unit compatible with the foofoo CanBus system that BMW unloaded on us. While it looks like something only Steven Hawking could install.. it's actually chimp..er.. baboon easy even with my cromagnon wiring skills. Took me about 1 hour to do the install and 40 minutes of that was just figuring out how to run and hide the wiring. I should mention.. Wunderlich, for whatever reason has 2 wires coming out of this thing that are meant for wiring to the bike for a license plate frame light... This kinda baffled me for 2 reasons.
1. The license plate already has it’s own light and ..
2. Even if the Triton 2 has little LED’s underneath for this purpose... it’s nowhere near the license plate frame... ??? I didn’t hook up those 2 wires and everything is fine.. the stock factory plate frame light is still in place doing it’s thankless job.

Once installed I was thrilled with the result. Visually it's 1000% better and believe me.. the pictures do NOT do it justice.. It blends well with the back of the K1200S and with it's TWO full banks of Red burning LEDs, appears brighter than stock unit when viewed from behind. By how much?? I’ll not guess. I wouldn’t care if it was 50% less bright!!

There are only 3 caveats to the Triton 2 kit..The first would affect only Corbin Smuggler owners such as myself. The Corbin Smuggler was designed around the stock tail light and it's heinous shape. The Triton 2 is actually smaller than the stock tail light so when you have the Triton 2 installed with a Smuggler, you are left with about a 1" gap between the Smuggler and the new tail light. The good news is.. it's NOT that noticeable and doesn't look bad... The second issue is inherent in all LED's.. They are directional, meaning.. they are not as bright when viewed at angles. Lastly.. the Triton 2 has a lofty price of $270.. Ouch!!! Worth it?? Hell yes..!! How do you put a price on ridding yourself of reoccurring baboon ass dreams? I’ll sleep good tonight.

I got mine from BMW Santa Cruz... They’ll be the ONLY vendor in the US selling them..

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.