K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300GT (Next Gen)
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 9:10 am

Extended Warranty

Doing a search on extended warranties it looks like three companies keep popping up. Interstate National Dealer Services, Western Service Contract Corporation, and Pinnacle Protection Plan.

Those of you that have one of these plans, have used one of the plans, or have researched the variables in these plans. I sure would appreciate some feedback.
Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 9:36 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727cpt
Doing a search on extended warranties it looks like three companies keep popping up. Interstate National Dealer Services, Western Service Contract Corporation, and Pinnacle Protection Plan.

Those of you that have one of these plans, have used one of the plans, or have researched the variables in these plans. I sure would appreciate some feedback.
Regards
I've heard good stuff about all three. I've got Western and made sure it covers stuff like ABS, electrics, etc. Obscure stuff that can cost a lot to repair.

I didn't get an extended warranty on the LT simply because I never kept a bike long. I blew thru the 36k miles in way less than two years, ended up keeping the bike for seven years and spent many thousands of dollars while my friends paid $25 bucks because they had extended warranty.

Not this time, dammit!
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Grif,
Thanks for the reply. I'm placing an order for an '08 on Monday or Tuesday and I want to make the extended warranty part of the deal. My dealer has ZERO extended warranty options to offer to customers. I gave the salesman the contact info for Western and Interstate. I'll see what he comes up with?? Hard to figure out who some of these companies are and who and what is behind them if you have a claim.

I just added a policy to my wifes MINI Cooper S. The warranty was from Warranty Direct. They are the consumer division of Interstate National Dealers Association and are allowed to sell over the internet. Interstate is the same company that provides auto warranties to AAA. Which, in itself, is not a bad endorsement of Interstate. But, if you go directly to Warranty Direct( Interstate) you can get more extensive coverage than that provided by the AAA ( Interstate) policies. Interstates motorcycle division is Interstate Star Sport(???).
One would think that they would have pretty good coverage. However, on their website I saw no options for adding more coverage to cover things such as ABS modules.

So, it goes on and on. I just want to get the coverage I want for a fair price. I'll let ya know what I end up with.
Regards
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 5:02 pm

Warranty

I have had Western Services on my last three bikes from the time they were new and on 1 that I bought used. The used one had the warranty on it and it only cost $25 to transfer it. I even transferred it to the new owner when I sold it Claims (what few I had) were covered and I just paid the deductible.

My recommendation is go with Western YMMV of course.

Dave

2008 K1200GT AV SILVER "Lilly"
2006 K1200GT CGM "Twitch" SOLD
2002 R1150RT "Bomber" SOLD
1995 R1100R "Bettie" SOLD
1999 VAlkyrie "PEARL" MISSED
Others to numerous to list

Last edited by lego : Dec 9th, 2007 at 5:03 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 7:21 pm

grif and Dave,
Could you let me know how much you ended up paying for your warranty and what the term and mileage is? Also, what additional coverages would you recommend adding to the policy. Thanks
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 12:11 am
Strafist

OK, I was wrong, I have Interstate Star. Paid $950 for 84 months, unlimited mileage, no deductible and it covers ABS.
It covers the engine, water pump, turbocharger(!!??), tranny, primary drive, drive axle assembly, front and rear suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, gauges, fuel system, seals and gaskets and touring bike (digital dasy components, control cables, factory sound system, fairing hardware, brackets, switches, covers, latches and hinges, saddlebag/travel trunk latches, hinges and mounting hardware)

Doesn't cover consumables like light bulbs, clutch, brake pads, etc.

Sorry about the erroneous info, I had to dig the paperwork out.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 1:09 am
Enthusiast

Since I am really happy with the two bikes I currently own, I'm relatively sure I will keep them for a long time, so I am thinking of buying the extended warranty coverage too.

However, I would far prefer a factory BMW policy rather than aftermarket. Does BMW have a service contract of their own or are there only aftermarket policies?
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 7:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM
Since I am really happy with the two bikes I currently own, I'm relatively sure I will keep them for a long time, so I am thinking of buying the extended warranty coverage too.

However, I would far prefer a factory BMW policy rather than aftermarket. Does BMW have a service contract of their own or are there only aftermarket policies?

MikeM,
From my research I have concluded that there is no extended warranty program through or endorsed by BMW. If you find out I'm wrong, please post.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
OK, I was wrong, I have Interstate Star. Paid $950 for 84 months, unlimited mileage, no deductible and it covers ABS.
It covers the engine, water pump, turbocharger(!!??), tranny, primary drive, drive axle assembly, front and rear suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, gauges, fuel system, seals and gaskets and touring bike (digital dasy components, control cables, factory sound system, fairing hardware, brackets, switches, covers, latches and hinges, saddlebag/travel trunk latches, hinges and mounting hardware)

Doesn't cover consumables like light bulbs, clutch, brake pads, etc.

Sorry about the erroneous info, I had to dig the paperwork out.

grif,
Thanks for your policy info. It gives me something to shoot for.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 8:28 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM

I bought my extended warranty from a BMW dealer, BMW doesn't offer one.