K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300GT (Next Gen)
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 9:36 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Performed clutch flush/bleed - details inside

Thought I'd post the part #s you'll need for this if you want to do it yourself.

Firstly, our bikes come with a plug inserted in the clutch slave where the bleed nipple is inserted. You'll need to remove this with an allen key (not certain which size - very small, perhaps a size 2?). Anyhow, for obvious reasons don't remove this plug until you are ready to put the nipple in place.

You can purchase the bleed nipple and cap from Max BMW here :

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fi...sp?mospid=49384

(scroll down the fiche list and click on the Clutch Control picture)

You need the following :

32727695221 vent screw (M5X1) $9.90
32727695222 dust cap $4.80

They don't sell the extra virgin olive oil needed for our clutch system, but A&S does. You can purchase this pricey liquid gold here :

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39065

It is called "BMW Hydraulic Clutch Fluid Mineral Oil" and is a funky blue color. It comes in 2oz bottles and is $11.06 per (and you thought gas was pricey these days!).

I purchased two bottles to be thorough - one bottle to completely flush the system, another bottle to fill and top off.

Easy as any other clutch bleed once you have the missing bleed nipple in place.

Cheers!
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 6:41 pm
Strafist

Hi ho, hi ho (No, I'm not calling you a ho. Well... nah) off to the Hall of Wisdom it goes.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 8:42 pm
IBR# 366

Excellent info, thanks. Let us know when you get the valve adjustment procedure worked out.
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 60K miles and gone
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 33,817 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles and dead
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 9:06 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Prax, I've been wondering about that myself lately. heh I wonder if BMW has a part # for the requisite bottle of single malt...

Grif - you take that Big Bend trip yet?
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 9:53 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus-6

Grif - you take that Big Bend trip yet?
The day before, during and the day after Easter weekend. It's like being six years old and waiting for Christmas.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 6:37 pm
Addict

Hey folks- I'm a little confused about this- I've never heard or read about a need for this. I thought the clutch just required oil changes as it's a "wet" clutch?

What am I missing here?

Thanks-

B.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 7:16 pm
IBR# 366

They're talking about flushing the hydraulic actuating fluid, not the engine oil that the clutch itself operates in.

I'm not sure about the GT, but on my LT BMW recommends flushing out this fluid every year or two. But that was regular DOT4, which can absorb water over time and thus lose its effectiveness. I'm not sure what the recommended service interval is for the mineral oil used in the newer Beemers.
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 60K miles and gone
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 33,817 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles and dead
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:00 pm
Addict

Big Bend trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The day before, during and the day after Easter weekend. It's like being six years old and waiting for Christmas.

A Big Bend trip, I was there once and that was more than enough times for me.

If that is the last place on your list of things to do before you die, do it.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:12 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
They're talking about flushing the hydraulic actuating fluid, not the engine oil that the clutch itself operates in.

I'm not sure about the GT, but on my LT BMW recommends flushing out this fluid every year or two. But that was regular DOT4, which can absorb water over time and thus lose its effectiveness. I'm not sure what the recommended service interval is for the mineral oil used in the newer Beemers.

Prax nailed it - I think it's suggested as an annual thing which is what I do just to keep everything fresh, though the mineral oil schedule may be longer (dunno). I figure why not - it's cheap and easy to do (took me less than 10 minutes start to finish).

Grif, I did the Big Bend thang a few months back - weather was great for it in October so we made a run out of it. Nothing quite like the river road at sunset...
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 11:24 am
Strafist

Plus, doing maintenance with a good ceegar and some jams is almost as good as peanut butter.

I love the Big Bend/Ft. Davis area. Unfortunately there will be an influx of about 50 State Troopers in the area at that time. Is 100 mph probable cause?