K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300GT (Next Gen)
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Clutch Adjustment

I have always hated the way my clutch engaged at the far end of its travel. All the posts here I searched all have said there is no adjustment on these hydraulic clutches. A BMW mechanic also told me there is no adjustment. I have tried to get used to it, and over time, I have. However, I still did not like it.

I recently rode an 03 R1150GS, and the clutch was superb. It engaged at one third of its travel, just the way I like it. Now the master cylinder on the GS looks the same as mine, and it is also hydraulic. Why were they so different. I had a good look at the GS's master cylinder and mine and noticed a screw coated with red loctite between the grip and clutch lever. In the picture below, most of the loctite has been removed. On the GS, the screw was flush with the housing while on the GT, the screw seemed recessed.

So I decided to experiment, I broke the loctite seal and backed out the screw. Turns out it is some kind of actuator rod, and it's length has an effect on the clutch engagement point. Picture below shows the rod removed. I put it back in and adjusted it to be flush with the housing. Now my clutch engages about halfway, just the way I like it. Just make sure to put loctite back on the screw if you try this.

This rod is not shown as a separate part on RealOEM, I wonder why.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 9:40 pm
Rookie

Clutch adjustment

I like you have wondered why the clutch engages so close to the far end of its travel. Iíve asked my dealer to fix it w/o results. Iím going to give it a try. Thanks for the post. Hal
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 3:16 am

Thanks post - very interesting - this late engagement of the clutch has bothered me for a while.
Going to give your idea a go see what happens .

The only worry is why the "experts" say there is no adjustment for this .

Dave
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Veteran

I wonder if changing the clutch engagement point would effect the squealing clutch issue? Funny if something that simple cured it.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 3:56 pm
Enthusiast

Thanks for having the guts to "let's see what this does"... Most interesting since a lot of "mechanics" don't know about it!!! Great bit of news. Just checked and my set screw is also a little recessed. Thanks for the help!
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 4:24 pm
Veteran

Mine looks about like the top picture, not flush but probably no more than 1 turn in from being flush.
If I back it out maybe 1/2 a turn it might make my clutch engage a little sooner is what you are saying? Mine engages a little later than I'd like also.
Gilly
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 10:43 pm
Rookie

its' my biggest complaint about this bike. The two clutches are different the GS is dry and the GT a wet. But still i have never had a clutch that acts this way on any of my previous bikes and they can't fix. I've been wondering about that also if there is an hidden part. this looks like an solution.

Does anyone have a service manual and what does it describe this screw as and any suggested adjustment from it? just curious.

Thanks for the tip...
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrt
its' my biggest complaint about this bike. The two clutches are different the GS is dry and the GT a wet. But still i have never had a clutch that acts this way on any of my previous bikes and they can't fix. I've been wondering about that also if there is an hidden part. this looks like an solution.

Does anyone have a service manual and what does it describe this screw as and any suggested adjustment from it? just curious.

Thanks for the tip...

I have the service CD, there is no mention of clutch adjustment, nor is there anything in there about this screw.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 6:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Mine looks about like the top picture, not flush but probably no more than 1 turn in from being flush.
If I back it out maybe 1/2 a turn it might make my clutch engage a little sooner is what you are saying? Mine engages a little later than I'd like also.
Gilly

Worked for me, but I backed it out more than 1/2 a turn.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 1:18 pm
Enthusiast

Just tried backing mine out, It would not budge... Screwdriver would not work so I used a 1/4 in. drive socket with a screwdriver bit...I got to the point where it felt like the shoulders of the screw head were about to snap off so I stopped! I guess I'm living with mine the way it is...
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!