K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300R/R-Sport
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 8:12 am
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker
Btw, did you all read:

Doesn't sound like an engine I'd want, especially in an aggressive package like that.

Definitely a different character engine, but IMO not a bad direction for a sport tourer.

Sounds like the motorcycle equivalent of a big block chevy, and those are a blast for cruising around in.

Haven't ridden a Vmax, but I would guess that that engine was tuned also for a low wide torque band.

Really have no idea, though, until BMW makes it!!!

The fact that there isn't a single pic or vid with it running makes me suspicious it's purely design and not functional.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:02 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
The fact that there isn't a single pic or vid with it running makes me suspicious it's purely design and not functional.
Oh trust me, they do have a version of that engine running at BMW. Not necessarily in that exact bike package, but that engine will hit production.

I just think we'll first see it in a larger touring platform, where the increased low end torque makes sense for the higher weight bike and the relatively high redline still allows for some fun in the twisty bits.

Whether that Slant/6 then trickles down to the other K-bikes remains to be seen. But yeah, as pictured it's more mock-up and show-off than reality.
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 60K miles and gone
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 33,817 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles and dead
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 2:42 pm
Veteran

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they phase out the four R and/or S in terms of the 6-cylinder. A K1600R/S or something along with the K1600LT. Honda had that weird yellow 6-cylinder concept bike at the shows that became some $28K cruiser for a couple of years of production. It was just too damn heavy though.

I noted that it is keyless (probably an electronic pocket FOB) since it only shows a "Start and Stop Engine" button on the tank's top. I suspect they will all go that way sooner or later, no more metal keys and locks. Bike and car thieves love that easily mechanically compromised stuff.

Mack
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 3:49 pm
contributor

The button looks the same on their cars. Our BMW uses a "key" that gets inserted into a slot but has no metal. I think it's all RFID.

I don't see how it's much different than the current bikes. A chip in the key actually unlocks the ecu. And instead of a handlebar mounted starter, they put it on the tank. Not really new.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS
let's face it... we all knew this had to be said sooner or later...

Stalling issues have all been resolved, post K1200... Ricardo help BMW... now you just have to worry about the crooked steering and the leaning to the right

Actually it aint soo funny

Inline 6... I WAS going to say I bet it will red line @ 16k... but then I read "revving up almost to 9,000 rpm"

But as Joker said... it's a concept... and when do BMW concepts ever go production?

Where do I get the blue break fluid?

Last edited by rayone : Nov 12th, 2009 at 7:12 pm.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 8:27 pm
Addict

Last year at the Javits center Motorcycle show BMW reps told us the LT was coming back with a six cylinder engine. I would look for that before a sport bike with the six.
MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 8:27 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayone
Stalling issues have all been resolved, post K1200... Ricardo help BMW... now you just have to worry about the crooked steering and the leaning to the right

Actually it aint soo funny

Inline 6... I WAS going to say I bet it will red line @ 16k... but then I read "revving up almost to 9,000 rpm"

But as Joker said... it's a concept... and when do BMW concepts ever go production?

Where do I get the blue break fluid?

Here's some.
http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/b...ic/products/151

2006 K 1200 R
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 9:12 pm
IBR# 366

Note that the bike pictured is a "concept" bike, that is not any sort of production model but rather a showcase for new technologies. But close reading of the official BMW Press release shows explicitly that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Press Release
The new BMW straight-six will further expand the K-Series in the foreseeable future. The first model to be introduced will be an innovative and luxurious BMW touring machine. Reflecting the tradition of the BMW K-Series, this will of course be a genuine top-of-the-line product.
So yes, a new K1600LT is definitely coming, although exactly when and in what configuration and trim level is still anybody's guess.

But they also state that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Press Release
The engine’s power and performance characteristics are equally impressive, offering 130 Nm or 96 lb-ft of torque from just 2,000 rpm and at the same time revving up almost to 9,000 rpm – a dynamic potential quite unparalleled in the tourer segment. This alone qualifies the engine of the Concept 6 as the ideal power unit for a wide range of different motorcycles.
So I imagine we will see a new GT/RT platform and an S/R platform as well in the near future.
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 60K miles and gone
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 33,817 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles and dead
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 10:38 pm
Addict

For Eyes Only Candy

A friend sent along this email that BMW sent to its US dealers. I love that they tell you in no uncertain terms that the bike is "strictly a concept and isn't envisioned for manufacture or release" -- then tell you to enjoy it anyway. And it's funny how, in the email, the writer says "according to BMW Motorrad..." -- when the guy is BMW Motorrad.

Dear BMW Motorrad USA dealers,

A new BMW motorcycle concept design was unveiled today at EICMA in Milan – it’s called “Concept 6” and it’s unbelievably stunning. Photos and a full description of this concept are attached.

According to BMW Motorrad, the bike is strictly a concept and isn’t envisioned for manufacture or release.

Enjoy – this is real eye candy.

Best wishes,

Laurence Kuykendall
Community & Communications Manager
BMW Motorrad USA
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 11:55 pm
contributor

I'm getting some chicken wire, modeling clay, bondo and fiberglass and giving it a go.

BMW bastages...