K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300GT (Next Gen)
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 4:11 pm

'06' GT Side Case Liners

I have a 4 day vacation coming up next month and I am looking for liners for my side cases on my 06 K1200GT.

I have found CeeBaileys but thought there were some other?

what are you likes/dislikes and features on the different ones.

Side Standup Radio Motorcycle Road Show
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 4:17 pm
IBR# 366

The main advantage of saddlebag liners is that you can just grab the liner and not drag the heavy, dirty saddlebags into the hotel at night, or back out in the morning. And you can leave your helmet locked up in the now-empty saddlebag at night and not drag it into the hotel, either.

You can get the BMW liners, or for 1/3rd the price, you can get liners from Cee Bailey's, Kathy's, RKA, or TLC.

BTW, the saddlebags on the GT and RT are identical, so liners listed for either bike will work just as well.

I've been very happy with my Cee Bailey's liners, and have drug them into and out of countless hotels in dozens of states. An advantage to the Cee Bailey liners is that they have full zips on both edges so you can lay them flat to fill them, and you can get into them relatively easy while they're still on the bike. Plus I prefer the grey color over all black. Its a great product, especially for the price.

I also bought a liner for the 49-liter trunk, but I find that much less useful so I don't bring it with very often. Usually my trunk is full of a soft-sided cooler for snacks, an atlas, rag & cleaner for the face shield, camera, etc. Stuff that I want to get to while on the road, but don't always need to drag into a hotel with me.
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 60K miles and gone
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 33,817 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles and dead
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 5:08 pm

Thanks Ken. The Cee Bailey's and Kathys look the best but the gray CB looks like a close match to the one I put in my 52 L Givi that I got last week

I am going to try my hand at a SS1000 next month on the MTF get together if my eyes will handle it. The liners, a SPOT mount and a portable heat troller is all I lack for now.

If the SS is successful lights and a fuel cell like this will be forth coming. My RDL probably wont make it for this trip but will be ready for shortly there after.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 5:15 pm
Veteran

I have the BMW side case liners. They are superbly crafted and the fabric is tough and stiff, made of heavy cordura. The bottoms are made of thick rubber. You get what you pay for in craftsmanship and materials. Butt...

BMW Liner Pros:
* Well crafted, well made.
* Durable.
* Liners are rigid and self-standing. They won't flop over while you load them.
* The liners are matching and symmetrical. Both sides of each liner have a zipper pocket and a "flap" pocket with a velcro tab at the top. Thus, either bag can go in either side case.
* Form fitted for your GT or RT side cases. Maximizes the use of the space perfectly.

BMW Liner Cons:
* Form fitted for your GT or RT side cases. If you overpack even slightly, with the slightest bulge, the hard case won't close over the liner. (Typical expectation that you will do everything precisely the way it should be done.)
* The zipper and flap side pockets don't expand. They will hold papers and small items, but don't expect to stuff a shirt or sweater in them.
* The main compartment zipper runs across the middle of the top. As Ken says, you must pull the case out (at least part way) to get at your stuff.
* Because the main compartment zipper is across the top, you stand the liner up and load through that zipper. It isn't the most convenient way to fill that case. Because it stands tall, it isn't convenient to get stuff that is on the bottom.
* Not that it matters much, but the liners do not have reflectors on them.

Bottom Line:
The BMW side case liners are very well made, but I would save the money and buy the Cee Bailey liners that Ken recommends. With the Cee Bailey side zippers, you can load your stuff with the liner on its side. Access to the liner's contents while it is in the hard case is much easier on the Cee Bailey. With the Cee Bailey liners, you get a lot more for the money, and a better design. With the BMW liners, you get top quality construction and materials, but perhaps not the optimum design.

Last edited by XMagnaRider : Sep 3rd, 2010 at 5:21 pm.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 5:23 pm

Thanks X, packing precisely is not something I am good at
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 5:45 pm
Addict

I also have the BMW liners for bags and the top case but I didn't stop there. I got the BMW soft duffel bag that mounts across the passenger seat and straps to pillion grab handles. I went this route to avoid a tank bag. Other than the price, I have nothing but good things to say about the BMW liners. They are everything that XMagnaRider says they are. My wife and I can pack comfortably for week long road trips and have room to spare. And the conveniece of just taking the inner bags into and out of the hotel is certainly worth the price. Not to mention keeping your personals from dropping to the ground if you happen to pack a saddle bag without using a bag liner. Regardless of your choice you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

John
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 5:46 pm
IBR# 366

I usually pack one saddlebag full of tools, and the other full of clothes.

So one Cee Bailey liner always stays packed with my bike clothes, which is 3 sets of LDComfort tops and bottoms, 3 sets of coconut socks, a set of travel pants that convert to shorts (and pack very small), and a couple of shirts that pack small and travel well. Oh, and a set of cheap boat shoes that also pack very flat. And I tuck an overnight bag in there along one edge.

I lay the bag flat on one face, then pack the shoes and street clothes on the bottom, with the LDComforts on top. So if it's just a quick motel stop and I need fresh LDComforts, I unzip one side. If it's a destination stop and I need street clothes, I flip the bag over and unzip the other side. Simple and easy.

I've lived off of that for weeks on end when most of my trip was spent riding.

If I'll be spending more time at my destination than riding (like for work meetings or a family visit, then I may throw in additional street clothes. But most of my trips tend to be big-mile days with little lounging about, so one set of pants and a few shirts works just fine.

In fact, I used to be able to keep my riding clothes and my laptop in one side bag, but since upgrading to a 17" MacBook, that now has to go in the trunk.

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 5:47 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxWhiteKnight
Thanks X, packing precisely is not something I am good at
Remember, you won't need too much gear for 4 days. Just pack light, and leave most of the crap at home.

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 6:11 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
.... 3 sets of coconut socks, ....

OK.... what are these? ....splain please....

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 6:49 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I usually pack one saddlebag full of tools....

"What tools require a whole saddlebag? Okay, excluding a spare final drive?"

I've got in my case:
1. Slime ATV air compressor (I wish it had a built in air gauge though).
2. BMW CruzTool roll kit.
3. Stop & Go Tire Plug Kit Not the CO2 kit that tends to leak on filling and takes far too many cylinders to fill a 180-size tire.

On top of that stuff is all my electric clothing (pants, jacket, gloves, socks, controller) and any rain gear. Same left bag, which pretty much stays that way the whole year.

Never thought of leaving that helmet in the bags with the bike. Might save me some time especially after climbing up 2-3 flights of stairs lugging all that crap around. Liners sure help speed the process up and keep the bags from getting all scratched up hitting walls and doors.

Oh, that Eagle Creek Pack-It System stuff is pretty cool to to organize and compress bulky clothing. Their "Cubes" allow you to roll up underwear and socks so you can get 4-5 days in one little cube. Their "Folders" allow for shirts and pants/jeans to be compressed and they come out pretty wrinkle free once you learn to use their template thing and folding process.

Mack