BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

New timing chain piece?

11K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  RIPJAM 
#1 · (Edited)
While browsing the newly updated parts catalog for the '06 K1200R, I happened upon the timing chain components and noticed something new that I dont believe I have seen before? Is this part #17 a new component? Hmm. Discuss...

See less See more
#4 ·
Interesting. Same piece also shows up in the K1200GT second generation (2006) now as well in the RealOEM site. No Max parts listing yet.

Okay. It is now shown in the K1300GT models as well and same part number. Wow!

Think I'll run number by my dealer and ask some questions and see if they show a price for it (Part number 11318526932 "Chain tooth jump guard."). Wonder what all it entails materials wise?

Most excellent find, btw!

Mack

#5 ·
I will have to run the printout by the guys at the shop to see if my new timing chain will have that in it. Now it has me wondering if a chain jump is what cratered things in the first place. Unfortunately for everyone it appears it is only sold as a component to a wholly-new timing chain assembly (sprockets/chain), but if this little guy keeps the chain from skipping a beat, it would be well worth it!

#7 ·
Pretty much what my dealer told me too. Valid part number, just no price nor any availability yet in the USA. :dunno:

It may be some guard that goes on the upper sprocket somehow (I need to find those photos of the upper cam gear area as I suspect that semi-circular slot is the mounting bolt area.). I doubt if they'd change all the chain and gear stuff out as well since those numbers haven't changed...yet. Time will tell. Dealer had no idea as to the cost of the installation either since no one has done it yet. Might be some advisory to have done while your bike is in for a valve check or something. If it's a $10 part, couldn't hurt then.

I'll be surprised if it becomes a recall item for ALL K1200 and K1300 engines on BMW's dime. Never know though as an engine seizure could become a bad scene overall.

I don't recall hearing if one ever jumped a tooth on a sprocket and going out of time? The gear busting off the cam yes, but not a timing-chain jump. Maybe the thing jumps a tooth and then it somehow seizes up the cam and it busts off the gear mounting dogs? I dunno. Time will tell.

Mack

#8 ·
GMack said:
I don't recall hearing if one ever jumped a tooth on a sprocket and going out of time? The gear busting off the cam yes, but not a timing-chain jump. Maybe the thing jumps a tooth and then it somehow seizes up the cam and it busts off the gear mounting dogs? I dunno. Time will tell.

Mack
Well in those cases where everything twists apart and bends up, it's impossible to see the actual cause, just the outcome. It could start from a tooth jump and valve impacts, or something locking or breaking up on the head, but the added insurance that the chain will NOT skip down on the crank sproket would be well worth the install. I'm going to keep up on it with my dealer and get it installed as soon as it comes available.

#9 ·
EvilGenius said:
While browsing the newly updated parts catalog for the '06 K1200R, I happened upon the timing chain components and noticed something new that I dont believe I have seen before? Is this part #17 a new component? Hmm. Discuss...

I believe thats the "chain tooth-jump guard" removal of the clutch cover is involved, got one on order along with the new tensioner, gasket and one time screws for the cover, I'am letting the dealer do this one when the parts come in. Krunch

#12 ·
knutk said:
The jumpguard cost ca $8, however in order to change it you have to remove the clutchcover and the bolts for the cover. You also have to change the oil.
So secondary parts will run you ten times the price for the jumpguard.
Thanks knutk. Ignoring the cost of the "secondary parts", the guard's cost is very
un-BMW. And then, taking into account the additional "secondary parts" costs to install the guard, I would be more than happy to pay for those parts instead of the ludicrous dollar costs of a complete engine rebuild.

Has anybody actually got their hands on one of these guards yet? Also, does anyone have access to the service bulletin?

TIA

John from Downunder :)

#13 ·
I've been charged 26.33 for the guard, I'am going in sat. to have it done.and thier tech says they haven't done one yet didn't know of it til I asked then they suddenly got up to date with the service bulletins.the tech called the NA rep and he didn't have a clue either. The questions being does the whole clutch have to come out and or a a cam to gain slack in the chain or does the little guard just slip over the crank sprocket and somehow bolt to something allready there. I'll be stopping by the Victory shop and talking trade on the way home, or maybe just dump it on ebay. I've had 48,000 wonderful miles and love this bike but don't have the extended warranty and don't want to keep rideing a time bomb.I've still got a real K-bike, a 92 K100RS that runs like a champ and so far can still get parts for.

#14 ·
Timing Chain Guard

Krunch,

What dealer is doing the work for you? I live in North Georgia; and would like to have the new tensioner and timing chain guard put on also. Is it the new Chattanooga BMW dealer? Maybe Knoxville?

Thanks, Rodney

#15 ·
Hi Guys, My '06 K12R was just off BMW warranty last month and if the weather co-operates I will be insuring soon. Anyway, I want to do all my little service bits before I do any riding. Being just off warranty I am thinking I should do my chain tensioner and the chain skip guide mentioned in this thread. Has anyone got a copy of the service bulletin and cost of the operation? ( parts only ) I have 22'000 km's on it and haven't had anything issues, and would like to stay ahead of this 170hp time bomb :D. Any experienced advice / help on this would be great! I should be going to the dealer in the next week and am hoping to order the parts needed to do the job.

Thanks, Jerome

#16 ·
Jeromy said:
Hi Guys, My '06 K12R was just off BMW warranty last month and if the weather co-operates I will be insuring soon. Anyway, I want to do all my little service bits before I do any riding. Being just off warranty I am thinking I should do my chain tensioner and the chain skip guide mentioned in this thread. Has anyone got a copy of the service bulletin and cost of the operation? ( parts only ) I have 22'000 km's on it and haven't had anything issues, and would like to stay ahead of this 170hp time bomb :D. Any experienced advice / help on this would be great! I should be going to the dealer in the next week and am hoping to order the parts needed to do the job.

Thanks, Jerome
Everything is here: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=175175&postcount=115
You can probably ignore the gasket as it is some rubber or silicone thing. Seems most have left it off their parts list and reused the old one and maybe put RTV on it and reused it. About an hour job if you are slow, or 1/2 hour for a dealer.

Mack

#17 ·
Installed the guard today, very straight forward, reused old gasket rode tested for 10 miles no leaks, was told some are breaking off cover bolts, torqued to 3Nm than 1/4 turn, no broken bolts. Also while cover is removed check oil pump drive chain, with light pressure if chain is able to touch tensioner than to loose. I just removed bit from T30 socket and put it in a 1/4" deep socket which made access to adjustment bolt no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.