K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300GT (Next Gen)
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 5th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Skinny on the Cam chain guard

Ok so the newer style tensioner is old news by now, so if ya haven't yet its time to get that done, both old and new are hydrolic but the new has holes in the mounting plate and the cap that bolts where the old plate did acts as a reservior. The deal with the "chaintooth jump guard", is pretty simple, remove clutch/crankend cover and it snaps into place over the existing guard casted into the case then held in place with the cover, adding additional protection to keep the chain from skipping a tooth should something cause it to. I should have done all of this myself, but the other day on the phone with the dealer this was new as of last month and the service bulletin was not all that clear as to what held the guard in place so I opted to pay and watch this time, education comes with a tuition price and this one was about two and a half hrs. shop time on the first go, but its only about an hour and a half job, this guy is a clean freak, after finishing he was back there with a can of cleaner in one hand and a fresh micro-fiber cloth in the other removeing any trace he'd been there. They did it on saturday, a good job while I waited so I paid cash and thanked them. The parts, gastet, tensioner kit, guard and one time screws etc. run about two bills plus labor, 400 dallars for the peace of mind that I've done all that can be to this point to prevent cam chain/related failures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 5th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Was this on a 1200 or a 1300? Are either of these upgrades already done on the 13s, or ?

Thanks,

GTRider
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 10:15 pm
Veteran

It's the same part for both 12 and 13's, and no it's not on the 13's either as far as I know. It MAY BE on the newest 13's sitting around but I don't think so. It's for all the K44 engines.

While this is a good addition to one of the issues affecting these engine designs, it doesn't provide a guaranteed solution to the top end flying apart. That would require a complete redesign of the flange / cam sprocket. But it's a $25 dollar part and well worth installing. You will need to remove the clutch and replace the bolts and oil so figure on $100 -150 bucks or so to do it yourself.

There's good info here: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showt...00&page=1&pp=10

Part # is 11318526932

It's # 17 in that view.

There was some talk of the part not being released in the US so this is great verification that it has been. Thanks Krunch!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Old Mar 5th, 2011, 10:30 pm
IBR# 366

Sure, now you post all this, including pics and part numbers, when I needed this info this morning.

Just picked up a K13GT with an 02/09 build date, so this part will go on at the next oil change.

Thanks for the info.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles and dead
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 10:31 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunch
....The parts, gasket, tensioner kit, guard and one time screws etc. run about two bills plus labor, 400 dollars for the peace of mind that I've done all that can be to this point to prevent cam chain/related failures.

So I gather if you do it yourself and have the newest oil tensioner already installed, then all you need are the case cover screws (I wonder about that too?), the case cover gasket, and the cam chain gizmo?

Any reason to pull the valve cover itself or is all this stuff done from the right side?

__________________________________________________ _
added:
So this is what I come up with if you DIY.

11147727974 GASKET 1 @ $25.43 (per Krunch cost)
11137676132 ISA SCREW - M6X25 17 @ $1.80 ea. ($30.60)
11147678478 ISA SCREW - M6X20 3 @ $2.00 ea. ($6.00)
11318526932 Chain tooth jump guard 1 @ $26.33

Total Parts $88.36 (in USA)

Mack

Last edited by GMack : Mar 5th, 2011 at 10:53 pm.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 11:52 pm
Veteran

Mack, I read a couple of threads on this over at the i-bmw forum. No valve cover removal needed. But what I'm not clear on is how the damn thing actually attaches. Assuming it must bolt on some how. The dealers are just getting this info. As usual we tend to notify our dealers and techs of anything new.

And yes, next oil change too.

Here's a good thread: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php...ooth+jump+guard

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Old Mar 6th, 2011, 12:43 am
Noob

Timing Chain Guard

Krunch,

What dealer did the job for you?

Thanks, Rodney
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 4:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
It's the same part for both 12 and 13's, and no it's not on the 13's either as far as I know. It MAY BE on the newest 13's sitting around but I don't think so. It's for all the K44 engines.

While this is a good addition to one of the issues affecting these engine designs, it doesn't provide a guaranteed solution to the top end flying apart. That would require a complete redesign of the flange / cam sprocket. But it's a $25 dollar part and well worth installing. You will need to remove the clutch and replace the bolts and oil so figure on $100 -150 bucks or so to do it yourself.

There's good info here: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showt...00&page=1&pp=10

Part # is 11318526932

It's # 17 in that view.

There was some talk of the part not being released in the US so this is great verification that it has been. Thanks Krunch!

Be carefull with your words Robert, removal of the clutch is not necessary, just the cover, and there wasen't enough oil lost to need to add any let alone a complete change. Keep in mind that I stood there and watched a qualified tech so I'am passing on the for real deal.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 4:49 am

Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODCAYLOR
Krunch,

What dealer did the job for you?

Thanks, Rodney

Performance Plus, memphis TN. Marvin is the service writer/qualified tech, Tracy Williams is the go to man in the shop. 06' GT 48,000 As a welder in a machine shop I also work with tools for a liveing and could see that he treats each machine like its his as I do.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 5:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
So I gather if you do it yourself and have the newest oil tensioner already installed, then all you need are the case cover screws (I wonder about that too?), the case cover gasket, and the cam chain gizmo?

Any reason to pull the valve cover itself or is all this stuff done from the right side?

__________________________________________________ _
added:
So this is what I come up with if you DIY.

11147727974 GASKET 1 @ $25.43 (per Krunch cost)
11137676132 ISA SCREW - M6X25 17 @ $1.80 ea. ($30.60)
11147678478 ISA SCREW - M6X20 3 @ $2.00 ea. ($6.00)
11318526932 Chain tooth jump guard 1 @ $26.33

Total Parts $88.36 (in USA)

Mack

The case cover screws are an aluminum alloy and only able to be torqued one time, so they say, don't forget the gasket, and especially check the oilpump chain slack, if your bike has never been opened up before, there will be too much slack in this chain but adjusting the guide takes care of that.This was done when I had the clutch basket spwapped under warranty, and found to be still good this time around. I ordered the chain to have on hand this time just in case but it was not necessary. They were nice enough to restock it for me so I did not have to pay the 40 dallars extra.According to my reciept the above looks right. All that has to come off are the fairing panel the insulation piece and the clutch cover, or thats what I saw anyway, I stuck my head back there every thirty minutes or so and was fortunate that this guy likes the customer involvment and we had a good conversation afterwards. He stated that so far those oilpump chains only need the slack adjustment once, fo far anyway and he'd been into about a dozen of these for clutch work.

Last edited by Krunch : Mar 6th, 2011 at 5:22 am.