K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300GT (Next Gen)
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 9:38 pm
Noob

Clutch Squak, What's the Skinny?

A few weeks ago I purchased a "new to me" 2007 K1200GT with 18K. The previous owner didn't disclose any issues with however I now find I have "clutch squak".

I have scoured the forums and read what I could. What exactly is the cause? If I replace the clutch does that fix the problem?

I checked Max's BMW parts fisch and find the plates listed separatly from the basket making the total parts about $1600.00, is this right? Is it possible to know which parts I need before opening the bike or is there a cluth package which incldes everything? I found aftermarket plates but not aftermarket basket?

This bike squaks when first letting the clutch out, it is not smooth on take off but rather "takes off" quickly and I can't seem to shift it smoothly. If I romp on it doesn't seem to be slipping though. Seems to me that might indicate an issue with the basket more than the plates?

I had the dealer do the service tickets, cam chain tensioner, jump guard and something with the lower brake lines. Also did the valves, spark plugs, coolant, oil (some metal shavings stuck to the magnetic drain plug), filter and final drive plus changed out the tires. I do need to re-charge the K&N air filter. Did I miss anything?

It is not possibe to know what service this bike has had in the past so am trying to bring it all up to date. I am 3rd owner, the first on the east coast, the second on the west coast where I bought it. The second owner only put fifteen hundred mikes in the year and half he owned the bike and I don't think he knew all that much.

Any help or commements will be appreciated. "R" bikes I have done but doing "k" bike service is new to me as is a wet cluch that squaks... What's up with that?

Bruce H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 5:28 am
Addict

It's going to cost a lot to fix so if the noise isn't too bad you may want to consider just living with it. A narrow clutch engagement range is normal for these bikes as is the fact that they can be a bit of a challenge to shift smoothly so I wouldn't assume that there is anything seriously wrong with the clutch beyond the noise.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 8:07 am
Addict

the squeal is normal ,the clunky shifting....normal but if the clutch actually shudders upon releasing .like mine did with a vibraition and all then replacement will solve this as it did with me but i still have a slight squeal...hope this helps
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 9:36 am
Noob

Well... I might feel just a bit better. It doesn't shutter, just noisy and does have a narrow engagement. WAY different than the "R" bikes I am used to or my LT (should have kept that one)

If I bucked up and bought a new clutch does that fix it? Or... will it come back (squak) because of a poor clutch design?

For now I'll just ride it.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 10:08 am
Veteran

There was a guy a few weeks back that posted a link to the Barnett Clutch plate kit said he had good results. :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnett-Clu...6b89da9&vxp=mtr

Thread with his info here:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26057

I do not know of an aftermarket basket though. Maybe one of the wrenches around here does.

As for the noise...yeah...they all do that! I too have the shudder but no real slipping and squeal. Last time I had mine apart the plates still had plenty of life at 45k or so. The basket had some minor wear in one spot. Not enough to replace.

I say ride it and don't worry.

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 2:44 am
Enthusiast

Bruce,
I briefly owned a 2008 GT.
I was the second owner. First owner sold it to me @ ~1,500 miles. Said it wasn't his cup of tea. I sold @ ~3,500 miles. Safe to say, I generally did not get a good fuzzy feeling for the machine.

It had the squawk that you refer to, and a mild shudder. Also, very clunky shifting, although sometimes, when I worked at it, I could shift it quietly. I didn't come naturally to me though.

There were other things about the bike which I didn't care for as well, especially considering the price tag. Which all adds up as to why I sold so quickly. It wasn't all bad though, the bike had plenty of smooth power and was pretty nice once rolling at speed. Responsive handling and a decent ride too.

Spoke with a BMW tech recently. He was washing a newly serviced '08 GT. Remarked that for "all the noises these things make", they have been pretty good engine and trans wise. No cronic failure rates to report at all.

If you otherwise like the bike... enjoy it. Seemingly, they do "all do that".

Dmilan
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 10:37 am
Noob

Thanks, guess I will have to get used to it. I have had so many BMW's that I don't how they could screw up so badly. My 2000LT was a great bike with little problems. That was the only other four banger I have had. The rest have been "R" bikes. I'll keep it, get it set up comfortable and ride it.

I'd still consider replacing the clutch IF that would fix the problem? I have done my other R bikes and this one seems like it might be less to take apart.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 6:07 pm
Noob

i to have a 07 k1200gt w/31000 once you learn how to shift these bikes that noise is barely there or gone dont worry about it just drive you nutz
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 6:45 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrya
i to have a 07 k1200gt w/31000 once you learn how to shift these bikes that noise is barely there or gone dont worry about it just drive you nutz

this is true...noticed that today !!!gotta become one with the bike after awhile you'll find her sweet spot
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 6:56 am
Rookie

I only have about 400 miles on the new clutch (Barnett) but so far so good. (I'm the guy who did the swap to a barnett pack for a k1200s, same part) I had one slight squak once while it was breaking in, but nothing after. The shifting difference was unbelievable. Almost all of the clunking gone except when its cold, its still somewhat prevalent but no worse than any other bike. I refused to pay 1600 bucks for a clutch pack that was no different than the one I took out that was completely worn at 23k. Some people say poor oiling, some say poor specs, poor material, whatever. I've never replaced a wet clutch on a bike in my entire life. My buddies 03 FJR with 156k on it had a perfect clutch in it.

The entire cost is a little more pricey because you have to go into the side cover again. Too bad the dealer didn't know you were having issues when they installed the jump guard because they were right in there. Another couple hour's labor and you would have had a new clutch. After speaking to the guys at Barnett for an hour, they said the material on the OEM pack is the standard organic material and they chose to put a carbon fiber friction material to make it last longer.

I didn't ride long on the old clutch but I can tell you there is a difference. I purchased the bike used as well. Currently, I'm trying Rotella in the bike. I like the BMW oils and they are usually exceptional, but I trust rotella products and they seem to be happy with my current clutch.

I'm with you on the BMW statement. I've had numerous BMW's, RT's, LT, R's, and I still have my '02 RS that I gave to my sister to ride and she's selling her VFR. BMW certainly went through some growing pains with this engine and clutch. I looked up the company who designed and made the basket and clutch pack. They seems to make everything and it doesn't look like motorcycle clutch packs is their specialty. Oh well - I'd expect this kinda nonsense from an italian bike manufacturer, not a BMW but s%#t happens. :-)

I think the other issue is that BMW parts prices have always been expensive - but talk about sticker shock when I purchased the 07 GT. Actually, prices are rude. the 07 and up BMW cars are no different either. It was enough for me to choose a Mercedes again over a BMW on the car side. Mercedes hasn't drank the 'kool aid' yet.

1600 dollars for a clutch pack is absolutely uncalled for and the unsung heroes as far as I'm concerned here is Barnett.

Last edited by PPlummer : Feb 5th, 2013 at 7:20 am.