K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300S
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 2:18 pm
Enthusiast

Question Passenger peg/bracket

Some time ago there was a thread that told how to remove these brackets which I can't seem to locate, anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:11 am
ROF

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200sforme
Some time ago there was a thread that told how to remove these brackets which I can't seem to locate, anybody?

Same here...

I am putting on a Corbin seat and smuggler and will NOT have any means for a passenger.

I looked at removing the left side passenger foot peg for starters and everything seems to have been put together from the inside out. It appears that the oil carrier mounting points keep you from removing the bracket. The bracket seems wedged between the oil carrier mounting point and the "angled" arm on the subframe.

There must be a way of taking the brackets off that doesn't require to take the entire bike apart or using some sort of destructive means. PAck-Part sells a CF Exhaust Bracket (which might be specific to LASER exhaust systems) for the K1200S but it DOES suggest that there is an easy way to remove these brackets.

My mechanic says that the passenger peg brackets are part of the structural makeup of the subframe assembly and they should NOT be removed. I am guessing that any added structural benefit from how the passenger foot peg bracket and how they attached to the bike are mostly there for the weight of the passenger.

THANKS.......

PS, This is my first post to this forum.... just traded in my Paul Smart and Blackbird in for a 2005 K1200S. Thought the Blackbird was fun till now....... More background here.....

The K1200S will be my 5th BMW motorcycle
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 11:18 am
Enthusiast

there are several ways to remove the passenger pegs but the easiest is to undo the three bolts, remove the oil tank support (it just pulls out of the tank) and then remove the lower subframe bolt. now you can just pull outward on the lower subframe arm (~1") and slide the passenger peg support out. remember to reinstall the oil tank support and bolt and lower subframe bolt. repeat on the other side.

hope this helps.

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 1:38 pm
ROF

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoluzione
there are several ways to remove the passenger pegs but the easiest is to undo the three bolts, remove the oil tank support (it just pulls out of the tank) and then remove the lower subframe bolt. now you can just pull outward on the lower subframe arm (~1") and slide the passenger peg support out. remember to reinstall the oil tank support and bolt and lower subframe bolt. repeat on the other side.

hope this helps.

Thanks Ken....

Try as I might I can't free up the oil tank support. It has a small pin at the top of the oil tank support the sticks into the lower subframe arm and also this oil tank support seems constrained by the lower subframe itself. I am guessing it just takes some effort but I am concerned I will break something.

Also moving the lower subframe arm seems impossible. After removing the 3 bolts holding the passenger peg bracket on the bike, I loosened the bolt holding the angled lower subframe arm to the bike and couldn't get it to budge. Looks like I will need a pry bar and then who knows what that will do.

This lower subframe are is VERY stout and I can't image there is any flex. Also if anything is going to move I am thinking all the plastic around that piece needs to be out of the way.

I am guessing this is best left up to the "pros" or at least someone who has done it before. I can just see my forcing something and then I will have a HUG "OH SH*T" to deal with. I must be doing something wrong.....

I might give you a call next week "durning normal business hours" to chat. I am looking hard at the rear of this beast and thinking it could do with some major changes. I have lots of ideas but I am not sure where to start and I have NOT seen anyone else rework the tail on the k12s....

Speaking of rear end modifications, I am the guy that was in contact with George at your shop regarding the license plate relocator for the Paul Smart.... Here is what I ended up with.....
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 3:05 pm
Enthusiast

phil,

the oil tank support is just held in with a rubber grommet - try spraying a little wd-40 on it and it should slide right out. once that is done, the subframe will move (i've done at least 2 dozen bikes so far).

as to the relocator, here is the our standard kit on our bike:

and here are two shots of our latest design that removes the entire assembly:

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 4:26 pm
ROF

Quote:
phil,

the oil tank support is just held in with a rubber grommet - try spraying a little wd-40 on it and it should slide right out. once that is done, the subframe will move (i've done at least 2 dozen bikes so far).

and here are two shots of our latest design that removes the entire assembly:

Ken,

Your latest design is EXACTLY what I had in mind. I am guessing you are basically putting a K12R tail section on the back of a K12S. I know from looking at the K1200S & K1200R PARTS FICHES that the subframes are the same. I am guessing you had to change out the "Rear Carrier Part" to a K12R style and the seat is from an K12R. You then added a "Rear Seat Cover 'Cup'" from PAck-Parts (not sure about manufacturer) and "Rear Light Cover" from Ilmberger (the one without the holes for the hand grip). I know there must be several other bits and pieces and a few dabs of paint. Your latest design is off the scale.

Sign me up!!!!!!
Seriously... let me know if you all have a kit & instructions for this design.
Thanks
Old May 8th, 2006, 9:23 am
ROF

Final (Almost...)

Ken,

After we chatted on the phone a week or so back, my Corbin Smuggler arrived. Actually arrived the same day we talked. Anyway now that I had the Corbin Smuggler-solo seat in my hands I decided to go forward with it and NOT do the K1200R CF tail on a K1200S setup that you folks have done. I even had Don at Mr Ed's Moto lined up to do the seat mods.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. Your design is tops in my book....

If you goto my web site PAK BIKES and click on the K1200S image at the top you will see what I ended up doing.
Old May 9th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
phil,

...snipped... here are two shots of our latest design that removes the entire assembly:

Is this p/n 96021 ?
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 2:06 pm
ROF

Final Passenger Peg Design

I finally finished up my passenger peg modification project.
Here are the results......
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 7:01 am
Noob

Question Help needed in removing passenger footrests

Hello,

I am trying to remove the two passenger footrests on my K1200S (MY 2007) to paint them in black as the rest of the frame.
Searching with Google, I finally found this old thread and carefully read it, but I cannot manage to remove them (may be because english is not my language and I cannot fully understand it...)
In fact, after removing the three bolts that fix each passenger footrest (one 6x25 and two 8x40, Torx), I cannot imagine how to take the footrests apart, they seem to be locked between the frame and the oil tank.
Please, is there anybody out there who could be so kind to explain me an easy way to remove them (may be with a picture) without fully dismantling my bike?

Thank you from Italy,
Giorgio