K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300R/R-Sport
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 5:46 am
Addict

Not so happy with the dealership

Picked up my KR on Tuesday.

I looked at the front rotors which are stamped 4mm, and that the bike was make 10/05.

To me, that means it is included in the ABS recall. I asked the salesman, and to told me the bike was too new to be included in that. When I was looking it over, I asked the mech and he told me he ran the VIN and no service was needed. Again, I knew this was BS.
Yesterday I called BMW Customer Service and was told the following, but I had them also send it in email so I have documentation:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding any open recalls on your motorcycle. Our records indicate that there is one open recall number 06V-164 regarding an ABS banjo bolt restrictor, and one open service action regarding a valve adjustment. If you need anything else feel free to contact me at (800) 831-1117 ext 6292.

The software was old, and still shows '0' instead of 'N' for neutral on the computer.

Speaking of the computer, I have the upgraded BC option. The oil pressure just shows ----- all the time.

And here is the worst part. The salesman told me 36 months, 36,000 mile warrantee. BMW Customer Service told me that the bike was entered into a 'demo' status in Dec 05. Even though the bike had 23 miles on it when I bought it Tuesday, the warrantee started back in Dec 05 (with a 2 month kicker), so that means I lost 6 full months of warrantee coverage. That is a major slap in my face that the dealer lied about. The dealer is Country Rode Motowerks in Fairport NY (Near Rochester)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 7:37 am
Addict

i'd be on my way back to the dealer to raise a little sand especially over the warrenty issue. it's possible but unlikely the sales person didn't know about the warrenty issue. i would first give them the benefit of the doubt and give the dealer a chance to make things right. if you lost 6 months of warrenty time the dealer should have notified you prior to selling you the bike and at least given you something to make it up.

i'm not sure why they wouldn't know about the recall stuff, in my opinion warrenty work is free money to the dealership, so i don't know why they would turn it away. anyway, it sounds like a bunch of idiots and assholes working up there and after you get things straightened out i wouldn't do business with them again. good luck
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 7:38 am
Addict-oholic

I would confront the dealer and ask for a refund, as he sold you the bike as "new" and it was a "demo". Unless, he makes a hefty refund ( which you can apply to an extended warranty), I would threaten legal action. I assume he is an authorized BMW dealer.

DO NOT LET HIM GET AWAY with illegal dealings.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 9:52 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie

Even though the bike had 23 miles on it when I bought it Tuesday

Strange ! - maybe the dealer can reset the miles on the ODO (in the computer) ??

/Michael
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:02 am
Enthusiast

typically a dealer will get money back from the manufacturer for demo bikes. it gives them a good incentive to have demos and to make up for the lost profit on selling a demo. i'm not sure what type of deal you got on the bike but if it was a demo then your purchase agreement should have stated such. also, the dealer might have a tough time explaining to bmw why a six month old demo bike only has 23 miles on it.

just some food for thought.

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:08 pm
Enthusiast

The dealer either...

(1) scammed BMW by registering a bike as a demo bike which wasn't used as such.

(2) scammed you by rolling back the odometer on a demo bike.

...either way, you deserve your money back. Get a lawyer and fight it.
IBA #22715

Boxer pipes sound like chick farts.
-Bones

The stages of life: tricycle, bicycle, motorcycle, motor home, rest home, funeral home.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:35 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie
.....I asked the mech and he told me he ran the VIN and no service was needed. Again, I knew this was BS....

....And here is the worst part. The salesman told me 36 months, 36,000 mile warrantee. BMW Customer Service told me that the bike was entered into a 'demo' status in Dec 05. Even though the bike had 23 miles on it when I bought it Tuesday, the warrantee started back in Dec 05 (with a 2 month kicker), so that means I lost 6 full months of warrantee coverage. That is a major slap in my face that the dealer lied about. The dealer is Country Rode Motowerks in Fairport NY (Near Rochester)
Howdy Coastie,

I know you're venting about this because I'd be steamed about it as well.

The question of the moment is, "what do you want to do?"

Perhaps involve the BMW Customer Service in assisting with a resolution...
Try to get the dealer to buy you an extended warranty, 6 years. This seems reasonable, gives you extra coverage and the cost to the dealer is about what they would have discounted due to the "demo" status of the bike. The dealer's cost on the warranty is probably around $750-$850 so it should be a do-able deal.

As far as warranty work on the bike, time to find a new place to take it.

For routine maintenance, since very little work on the bike requires propriety tools, any good mechanic can perform the work.

Please let us know what the resolution is.

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 1:33 pm
Addict

I would like to keep the bike, and the next closest dealer is about 135 miles away ( about 100 miles further then the 35 I ride to this one)

I would be overly happy if they can work an extended warrantee. I think I did get a decent deal, about 1700 off sticker, panniers thrown in and installed. Never did he mention ‘demo’ though. The word demo would not have bothered me, but the warrantee issue does. Also the fact that I have been interested in BMWs for all of about 2 weeks (sorry, late to the BMW game) and in those 2 weeks even I know this bike has an ABS recall. A BMW mech sure as hell should know that. And yes they are an authorized BMW dealership.

I’ll give them a call this afternoon.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 4:22 pm
Addict-oholic

Again, does your Bill of Sale say "demo"? That is the most important part of putting pressure on the dealer. In any case, you got a great bike and it will give you many miles of pleasure.
But DO NOT LET THE DEALER GET AWAY SCOT FREE !!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 7:15 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Again, does your Bill of Sale say "demo"? That is the most important part of putting pressure on the dealer. In any case, you got a great bike and it will give you many miles of pleasure.
But DO NOT LET THE DEALER GET AWAY SCOT FREE !!

The bill of sale says NEW, it has 4 check boxes.

New
Used
Demonstrator
Salvage

New is checked.

I called the dealership this afternoon, but my salesman was not in today. I will call again tomorrow.

{edit} added scan of contract:

Last edited by Coastie : Aug 17th, 2006 at 7:39 pm.