K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300GT (Next Gen)
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 6:46 pm
Veteran

Fuel gauge shows "No Gas" when it has 1/2 tank?

Got on bike and fuel gauge LCD display shows no fuel. It should be at least half full I thought.

Go to station on empty (according to the gauge), no low fuel warning lamp lit. Only takes two gallons to fill it. Gauge now shows maybe 1 1./2 bars on LCD (maybe 25%) full.

Never budged off the 25% full mark in 100 miles as though it was stuck.

Anyone know if this is an indication that the '06 GT's 6.0 firmware is at fault before I bug the dealer, or is a fuel sensor problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 8:59 pm

Go to your dealership and have them re-calibrate the fuel gauge. Happened on my KRS as well, no big deal (although it should come properly calibrated to begin with). It's covered under warranty. Maybe you can just have them do it while your bike is in for the next service anyway.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:06 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
Go to your dealership and have them re-calibrate the fuel gauge. Happened on my KRS as well, no big deal (although it should come properly calibrated to begin with). It's covered under warranty. Maybe you can just have them do it while your bike is in for the next service anyway.

Thanks.

I'm looking for lodging now as I write this. Dealer is far away (110-250+ miles one way depending on the dealer I go to) and I need to see if I can hotel it for a while. Unfortunately, it is too far from the next service and I may wear the tires out before then...although I may wait it out since I can always use the new Zumo's fuel indicator in the meantime as a gauge.

Don't know why it drifted so far off calibration as it was correct a week ago. No fuel shown to a full tank at only 1 1/2 bars is kind'a odd. Maybe a software glitch.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 12:51 am

Hmmm...don't know about that one. I usually re-set my trip odometer and keep an eye on mileage. Maybe old school, but I never quite trust the fuel gauges completely-same goes for my cage. On the KRS I knew I could go to around 170 miles or so, then I still had about a gallon or a bit more left. Hope you can get it figured out and taken care of soon. Safe travels!
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 7:16 am

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Don't know why it drifted so far off calibration as it was correct a week ago. No fuel shown to a full tank at only 1 1/2 bars is kind'a odd. Maybe a software glitch.

it's HARDWARE-related, in that case

the float is stuck/gone bad
or the sending unit has gone BELLY UP

no big deal if you remember to reset your trip meter each time
but.....
get it fixed (under warranty, of course) as soon as is feasible

'07 BMW K1200GT
'07 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 1:54 pm
Veteran

I think it's the software version Greg. Miles' fuel gauge was all over the place until he had 7.1 installed and I think that's one of the issues on down-level software.

As I told you, mine is 'fairly' accurate, both in the computer miles-to-go column and the reading on the gauge and the most recent fill-up. The final countdown has lead me to believe that when it says empty, it's empty, but I believe there's still another 1/2 gallon left. But that would be typical BMW, right?
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:26 pm
Enthusiast

My gauge reads full all the time, yes, I ran out once... I will have it fixed along with the bad brake pad sensor next year.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I think it's the software version Greg. Miles' fuel gauge was all over the place until he had 7.1 installed and I think that's one of the issues on down-level software.

As I told you, mine is 'fairly' accurate, both in the computer miles-to-go column and the reading on the gauge and the most recent fill-up. The final countdown has lead me to believe that when it says empty, it's empty, but I believe there's still another 1/2 gallon left. But that would be typical BMW, right?

sounds good to me
i'm wondering if my Miles to empty will be more accurate when i finally get my software install done

'07 BMW K1200GT
'07 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 7:45 am

Speaking of fuel...the computer consistently estimates 200+ miles on a tank. I have
rarely gotten anything more than about 31 or so mpg. I'm definitely filling the tank
(4+ gallons). At this rate, the gixxer drivers are getting better mpg

Riding has been mixed. Some highway mostly backroads. Motor has ~700mi so far.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 5:30 pm

reset and ride at 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408
Speaking of fuel...the computer consistently estimates 200+ miles on a tank. I have
rarely gotten anything more than about 31 or so mpg. I'm definitely filling the tank
(4+ gallons). At this rate, the gixxer drivers are getting better mpg

Riding has been mixed. Some highway mostly backroads. Motor has ~700mi so far.

after resetting my computer and riding at a constant 60mph on relativly flat road 50+mpg

back and forth to work average is 43 mpg. 25 mile round trip, several stop signs, lights, and corners.

My vmax was luck to get 30 no matter how I rode it.

I am happy......

Cheers.