K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical

Community Announcements

We know it has been a challenging few years for all of us, but last year was especially challenging for the support of this community. We had some significant expenses, while the support from our membership continues to be significantly smaller than years past. If you appreciate this community and want to see it continue to grow and improve, it is important that you support us through subscriptions. We are only supported by the community and a hand full of supporting dealers and vendors. We have continued to keep this community free of intrusive advertising and banners, unlike most other online communities, but if we cannot pay the bills, we will be forced to look at some sort of advertising in the near future. If you are not a member, please take a moment and purchase a subscription.

Please thank the Vendors and Dealers who support this community by giving them a chance to earn your business.

Welcome to the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion.
The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to BMW's line of K-series motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, and K1200R; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K12/1300R/R-Sport
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 13th, 2007, 8:44 am
Addict

Left side air filter install using BMW S parts

I chose to open the left side of airbox and use K1200S parts to complete it. Initial cost was reduced over the EVO kit, but will be made up later with air filter replacement costs.
I chose this route because I wanted to use OEM filters and wanted to just do it myself

Parts needed for my 2006 K1200R installation:

13717703583 Air Filter element (qty 1) $19.50
13717675519 inlet manifold left (qty 1) $92.00 (part number is for left side K1200S)
13717672549 latch striker (qty 2) $2.00 each.
(total $115.50)

Step 1, prepare the new S inlet manifold to fit the KR. I did not take a pre-cut photo, but this is close, just minus a blade width. I used the blue painters tape which is 3/4 inch to get a straight line and as a guide to cut on.

I put the tape along the bottom, and cut it with a saws-all, this was the final result.

Here was a simple fit check, and to see how the filter fit into the base.

Step 2 was to remove all the front bodywork.
Step 3 Disconnect your battery
Step 4 was to remove the right side air filter.
...Through the now open right side, I used a set of bilge fingers (not sure what they are really called, but they look like this)

I used that tool to place a lint free rag on top of all the velocity stacks to keep debris out.

Step 5 was to open the airbox.
... I was all set with a heat knife, but I found it did not work well for me. It melted the plastic, but was hard to control and was leaving an uneven (melted) edge. I wound up using the heat knift to just score the plastic and used a dremel tool to make the final cut through the plastic. Here is an image before I cleaned up the edges.

The lint free rag helped to keep things out of the velocity stacks, but there was still a little bit of debris in the airbox. It settled down to the front of the airbox. I tried using another lint free rag to get it out, and that was hard to do. The easiest was just using my fingers. Slide them around the front bottom of the airbox and the debris will stick to your fingers coming out easily.

Step 6 install the new unit along with the retaining clips

Step 7 re-install the bodywork
Step 8 connect the battery and preform a TPS calibration
(key on, throttle end stop to end stop 3 times, key off)
Step 9 go for a ride and enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2007, 10:17 am
contributor

Nice job!

I like the stock filters as well. Just peace of mind.

Last edited by JCW : May 13th, 2007 at 12:41 pm.
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:33 am
Veteran

Excellent!!!
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
Old May 13th, 2007, 2:06 pm
Rookie

Thanks for a great write up and pictures, Coastie! What are your impressions of noise levels? Others have said that the EVO mod makes a wicked sound.
Old May 13th, 2007, 2:33 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRex
What are your impressions of noise levels? Others have said that the EVO mod makes a wicked sound.

I doubt realistically the EVO makes a 'wicked' sound, and as others have said with EVO's there is not much difference in noise. I do think there is slightly more noise from the front end. It does appear to make my Remus pipe breath better. I'll need to put some more miles on it before I make a definitive judgment. I have not had much chance to ride since completing the install yesterday.

Last edited by Coastie : May 13th, 2007 at 2:43 pm.
Old May 13th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Rookie

How refreshing to hear a real answer. The "wicked" noise was probably the result of auto suggestion which of course makes the aftermarket world go round. I am interested to hear your long term impressions of this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie
I doubt realistically the EVO makes a 'wicked' sound, and as others have said with EVO's there is not much difference in noise. I do think there is slightly more noise from the front end. It does appear to make my Remus pipe breath better. I'll need to put some more miles on it before I make a definitive judgment. I have not had much chance to ride since completing the install yesterday.
Old May 13th, 2007, 3:15 pm
Veteran

Cool

The Evo filters do make a "wicked" sound, but whether that's due to the actual filters used or the removal of the snorkels or the fact that there's now two filters is difficult to say. But the combination does make a difference... and the sound is WICKED!!
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
Old May 13th, 2007, 9:39 pm
Noob

Quote:
I doubt realistically the EVO makes a 'wicked' sound, and as others have said with EVO's there is not much difference in noise. I do think there is slightly more noise from the front end. .

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. Have you been on an S with the EVO filters?
Old May 13th, 2007, 9:47 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1
Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. Have you been on an S with the EVO filters?

please elaborate . . .
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:59 pm

Quote:

I added the EVO filters and already had a Remus exhaust, granted the term "wicked" is subjective, but Joker is right, when I added the EVO's it does make a "wicked" sound at high RPM'S no doubt about it, not ear bleeding mind you just "wicked"...............