StuartF
(member)
09/06/05 03:39 PM
Corbin Seat for K1200S

On Saturday, I rode to Corbin Seats in Hollister, CA, and had them make a seat for my K1200S (see attached picture). While it was a little bit expensive (approx. $1,100 for everything), I think that it was well worth the cost. My wife and I took a 200 mile ride on Sunday, and the seat was fantastic. More important, she was comfortable and happy (which pretty much means that I was happy). The quality of materials and workmanship is the best I've ever seen, and the craftsman who made the seat really listened to what I wanted. This is the 5th Corbin seat that Corbin has made for me, and the quality keeps getting better.

zombiewolf
(addict)
09/06/05 06:33 PM
Re: Corbin Seat for K1200S

right on, Stuart, looks good. I've had a few corbins over the years and always have been happy with their products. One question: can you add the Smuggler option to what you have?

StuartF
(member)
09/06/05 08:17 PM

Yes, you can add the "smuggler" option. The back seat comes off, and the "smuggler" snaps on.

vbeard
(member)
09/06/05 11:02 PM

I am interested in this seat, but am concerned with the hinderence factor that the shape appears to present for aggressive body lean (getting off the seat with maximum lean while cornering). This seat appears to have a "cup" design for the rider that looks like it would throw you to far forward when trying to get off.

Hence, how does it work for you? Do you kneedrag? Do you get your body off the seat while cornering at all?

If so, please give us a report on how this seat performs and if you are having any problems due to the design?

Thanks.

PS - I believe another member purchased this same seat a while back (logoguy) but has never responded to how the seat performs. So, if logoguy reads this, I would be interested in your opinion too.

kl3640
(member)
09/06/05 11:40 PM

I have the same question about the ergonomics of the seat for sport-riding. How easy/difficult is sliding your butt off of the seat for cornerning as compared to the stock seat? The concave shape of the seat would seem to "cup" your butt and make sliding off the side a bit more difficult.

Another question: when you went to Hollister, did they do anything custom for your bike? In other words, did they take measurements of you, ask you your weight, etc...? I would like to order their setup, but I've heard that they make each seat custom to the specific rider/bike setup, so I'm hesistant to spend that kind of money if they're going to get my information over the phone (I'm in NJ). If they just use stock components and patterns, then that's OK - but if it really needs to be custom and they need to measure me, then I'd rather that they do it in person with an expert using the measuring tape rather than me just telling them my dimensions over the phone.

Lastly, you said $1,100. That seems expensive relative to their pricing on their website. Did it include costs for any custom work, or that color matched piping? Do your seats have the electric option? The pricing matches their website if you include the heating option, but in Cali I didn't think that you'd necessarily be getting the heated versions.

mconrad
(just sayin hey)
09/07/05 12:24 AM

Corbin makes a great product, but it is a hard seat. I've had two (both were on Harleys I used to own). The workmanship was good but it took a few thousand miles to break the seat in, and even then I found the seat to be harder than I expected. Based on my previous experience I'll look elsewhere if I get an after-market seat. That said, if you prefer a firm seat then Corbin is a good way to go.

kl3640
(member)
09/07/05 03:52 AM

That's what everyone I've asked has said about the Corbin's - that they are very hard. I've only had one Corbin, but it was on a vintage bike so I never put enough miles (and thus seat time) on it to tell if would be comfortable for the long-haul or not.

On the contrary, everone has said that Sargents are supremely comfortable. Sargent has a pre-registration program for their World-Sport touring seat when it's available in early 2006. Pre-registrants will get a discount on the new seat when it's available (pre-registration is free - the link can be found on:
http://www.sargentcycle.com/bmwwsk12s.htm

However, judging by the rest of their product line (especially for BMW's) I don't think that a "Smuggler" compartment in lieu of a rear seat will be available from Sargent. Corbin's offering does include a Smuggler option though. I sent an email to Sargent and am awaiting a response. The Sargent does have an underseat storage container, which is nice, but I have little or no need for a passenger seat, so the Smuggler compartment would be very nice for my purpose.

Therefore, if the Sargent will be available with a Smuggler option for the rear, or even a nice looking color-matched cowl to cover the rear seat area, I'll choose the Sargent setup. Otherwise, I'll go with Corbin and request that they use a softer foam option in making mine. I understand that they will make custom modifications (custom colored piping, seat foam thickness and density, and other features) if asked, and for a price.

stellano99
(senior member)
09/07/05 10:06 AM

Corbins are great seats, but they are firm. The philosophy being that they are not really broken in until there are several thousand miles on them. I think years ago, someone at Corbin quoted me 10,ooo miles. If you don't ride much, and don't like firm, get something else or ask for softer foam. I have had 4 Corbin seats over the years and have liked them, but they were firm seats. That being said, it did not bother me. I would be curious to know how the Corbin is with the S bike, as it is a very scooped seat, and by design does not look like it would lend itself to lots of sliding in the twisties.

StuartF
(member)
09/07/05 11:38 AM

I\\\'m a very aggressive rider, and the seat works fine. I live in the Santa Cruz Mtns., and most of my riding is twisties. I\\\'m loving this seat, and the design of the bike doesn\\\'t really require you to get off the seat too much for aggressive riding. I thought the $1,100 was a bit steep also. That included the backrest and sales tax. There is no additional charge for the custom work or leather, etc. Regarding the question of buying a seat off the rack. If you can get to Corbin, that would be my recommendation. Each seat is built to you and your dimensions. Also, if you have a passenger, bring her with you, and they\\\'ll make the passenger seat for her particular dimensions. I think that it\\\'s risky to buy one off the rack. The seat is firm, there is no doubt. However, the support is excellent, and there is a lot less fatigue than with the other bikes. That being said, if you don\\\'t like a firm seat, don\\\'t buy Corbin. Somebody mentioned something about softer foam. I\\\'m not aware of any other type of foam available from Corbin. Thanks for all of your replies.

K-Bikes.com Community Archive is powered by: UBB.Threads 5.5.1
Copyright ©2007, Enthusiast Communities, LLC
Site Keywords: BMW, K1200, K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200R, K1200S, k-bikes, k-bikes.com, motorcycle, motorcycles, 2006 K1200GT, K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion including K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, K1200R motorcycles, BMW Motorrad, BMW Motorcycles, 2006 BMW K1200GT, 2006 BMW K 1200 GT, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2007 BMW K 1200 GT, k12rs, k12gt, k12s, k12r

Preparation of this page took : 0.009 seconds