K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical Chat

Community Announcements
K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion: The K-Bikes community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to sport touring on BMW motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW's K-based Sport Touring Motorcycles - the BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, K1200R, Next-Gen K1200GT, and the new K1200R-Sport; however, all riders who share many similar interests amongst the larger BMW rider community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. In order to access this site, you must register before you can enter the message forums: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.
Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com: Keeping the lights burning at K-Bikes.com isn't free. It takes time from a dedicated group of volunteers and support from members like you. If you feel like you gain value as a member of this community, please consider making a Donation to K-Bikes.com. Thanks to everyone who has already donated.

Go Back K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

K-Bikes.com Forums (vBulletin Forums) | K-Bikes.com Archive (UBB.Threads Bulletin Board)

General Discussion
   >> Technical, Repair & Maintenance
Thread views: 905

Print Thread
fly4hire
(just sayin hey)
07/27/03 05:25 PM
Message No.: 4158
Fuel Tank Vent Problem  

After not riding for about 3 weeks took my K12 out for a Sunday ride. When I stopped for a fill up the gas cap a had a LOT of vacuum holding it down wich I have never seen before.

After fill up about 4 miles down the road the bike just died on me. I pulled over and tried to get her going again. No luck?? Then I remembered the non-venting gas cap and open the tank, and fuel splashed out when the vacuum, again strong was broken. I was able to start after that and ride home.

Any suggestions on how to clear or unclog the vent line or cap??

Post Extras: Print Post

motonut
(just sayin hey)
07/27/03 05:56 PM
Message No.: 4159
Re: Fuel Tank Vent Problem new [re: fly4hire] 

I think the best place to start is to ask if your machine still has the evaporative emissions canister in place and still hooked up. Is there a largish round plastic canister sitting right behind your battery? Are there three hoses hooked up to it? Slide the tool kit tray out to see better. Two lines are easy to spot, attached to nipples on the inboard end of the can. The third is harder to spot, coming out of the side of the can at the bottom of the outboard end. Let me know what you find and I will try to help you troubleshoot the problem. I can say for certain the problem is not in your gas cap.

Doug Uitdenbogerd

fly4hire
(just sayin hey)
07/28/03 08:27 AM
Message No.: 4200
Re: Fuel Tank Vent Problem new [re: motonut] 

I thought the evaporative emmissions sytem was for venting from the tank, not to it. I had read elsewhere that venting into the tank was through the gas cap??

Bike is under warranty, but dealer has a 2 week out schedule at the moment. If it's simple I'd just assume try and fix myself.......

motonut
(junior member)
07/28/03 03:03 PM
Message No.: 4242
Re: Fuel Tank Vent Problem new [re: fly4hire] 

I will take your response to mean that your evaporative emissions canister is still in place and hooked up. Yes, your problem will be found here. The cover absolutely, positively does not allow air into or out of your tank. Trust me here. There is a vent under your gas cap that is hooked up to a hose that goes through your tank to the bottom where it hooks to yet another hose that in vented to the atmosphere. This "vent" is there for the express purpose of taking the rain water and wash water that gets in the filler cavity out and to the ground. If it is plugged or pinched this cavity will be full of water after a trip to the car wash. It will do nothing to affect the positive or negative pressure in the tank.

Lift your seat and pull the larger of the two hoses on the inboard (right) end of the canister. It is the one that goes to the center nipple on the end cap. Open your gas cap and blow through this hose. You should not be able to move air quickly through this hose but it must allow a little air through. The reason there is a restriction to free air passage is the nature of the vent assembly inside the tank which in the case of the earlier K12s prevent gas from sloshing out of your tank and in the later ones was redesigned to also prevent gas from escaping if the bike was dropped on its side. It is also for this reason that you need to use your lungs or another low pressure air source. DO NOT use an air compressor. The vent assembly can literally be blown up. If you can not move any air through this hose your problem is that the hose in likely pinched, which will require removal of the right side plastic to find and reroute. Otherwise the vent itself is plugged up and the filler neck would have to be removed to see why. In either case I would use your dealer for the repair since its under warranty. If air moves into the tank when you blow on the hose, then attach a short length of hose supplied by you onto the vacant nipple where you pulled the hose, and blow into the cannister. Air should move through freely. If it does not, the canister is full of gasoline or the cannister vent hose is plugged or pinched. The cannister vent hose is the one that comes out of the bottom of the cannister on the outboard end. Follow the route of the hose (you can see it for most of its run by peering from the side in the area behind and underneath the battery) and correct any problems. If the cannister fills with gas you have a problem with the location of the vent assembly in your tank. I would use the dealer to correct this also.

Clear as mud?

Good luck,
Doug Uitdenbogerd

Print Thread

Jump to

K-Bikes.com Community Archive is powered by: UBB.Threads 5.5.1
Copyright ©2007, Enthusiast Communities, LLC
Site Keywords: BMW, K1200, K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200R, K1200S, k-bikes, k-bikes.com, motorcycle, motorcycles, 2006 K1200GT, K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion including K1200RS, K1200GT, K1200S, K1200R motorcycles, BMW Motorrad, BMW Motorcycles, 2006 BMW K1200GT, 2006 BMW K 1200 GT, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2007 BMW K 1200 GT, k12rs, k12gt, k12s, k12r

Preparation of this page took : 0.291 seconds