New GT Owner - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2019, 5:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
New GT Owner

Hello all- just purchased a 2004 K1200GT. I hope to fall in love with it, but thus far, I haven't had the opportunity to. I live in Upstate SC, where I've been for almost 15 years now.

I am not new to bikes, and have ridden quite a few years. I purchased my first BMW a little over a year ago- a 1994 R1100RS. I love it- for commuting. I've put ~10k miles on it, but don't like the body position for long rides, and prefer a bit more protection from the elements. What I do love is the smoothness, rock solid stability, and braking power. It's my first experience with ABS on a bike.

So, I decided to get a bigger BMW, without going overboard. Settled on the GT- the bike has 29,000 miles, which appear to have been put on pretty evenly over 15 years. Love the power, love the wind protection, and I am absolutely blown away by the stopping power of this bike. The stability is a bit of an issue. There is something going on in the rear end which I can't figure out.

I am going to head over to the 1200 Classic forum, and will post on the issues. I could use some experienced advice- I am excited about this bike, and would like to put some miles on it.

I have been a member of the BMW MOA forum since I purchased the R1100 - but in my research prior to and after purchase, I have found myself reading a lot more posts on this forum- so here I am. I have already benefited from the group, and appreciate everyone sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2019, 10:08 pm
Rookie

Good Bike. I have a 2003 K1200GT with 27k miles purchased last year. You have more experience than myself but I have put 800 miles on my GT this past year.

Regarding your stability, that isn't normal. It should be solid at any speed. 50 to 70 should be true and straight. 80-100 is the same planted feeling. I personally don't try the 150 mph limit but other riders that it's the real deal.

If not stable, I am guessing your tires. I have new Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires front/rear and satisfied with the results. There are many other brands probably as good.

At 29K a little early to be changing shocks.

Provide more details on your problem. Others will jump in.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2019, 5:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
I definitely don't think the issue is normal. I placed Road Tec's on the bike before I ever took it out. It came with Ohlin's on the bike, rebuilt ~900 miles ago. I posted more details of the issue in the 'Classic' forum, titled 'Gremlin in the rear end'. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode