BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Help fast

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Falconfire 
#1 ·
I was just trying to remove oil from my over filled 06 gt when the turkey baster I was using pushed the small crosshair shaped dipp stick guide into the oil tank. Its gone. I want to ride but am afraid to do damage. Are ther any moving parts in there or will this just float around harmlessly.Thanks in advance. Jason

#2 ·
badger said:
I was just trying to remove oil from my over filled 06 gt when the turkey baster I was using pushed the small crosshair shaped dipp stick guide into the oil tank. Its gone. I want to ride but am afraid to do damage. Are ther any moving parts in there or will this just float around harmlessly.Thanks in advance. Jason
Turkey Baster? ! Seriously!? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

What ever happened to removing the plastic tube and letting it drain?

You are not alone though, several guys here have had the same thing happen, though not with a turkey baster....at least that they will admit to. You are fine to ride it, though at some point you really should get it removed.

#4 ·
badger said:
Thanks Robert, The dealer over filled it and said it would probably be fine. I love that. Then it was their suggestion to use the baister.Thanks for the responce.
Next thing we'll hear is the dealer recommended drilling a hole in the bottom of the tank. :yeow: Just kidding.

#5 ·
Your #2

badger said:

It happened to me 2 weeks ago, the dealer I brought the bike to bmw Canada, they replaced it under warranty, They also said that it would not be a problem, but I had them change it anyway, for piece of mind. but what I think they've done was just removed the basket from inside. they did take the reservoir off though to do it,

#8 ·
Hey - Lighten up fellas. The stupid ideas we try are how we solve problems that no one else has solved before. Of course there is a cost associated with trial and error! But I would rather have a guy try to do something by himself and make a mistake but learn about the bike from it, rather than run off to the dealership for every freakin' maintenance issue.

Just my $.02 :soabox:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.