BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Brake warning light

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  cbdane 
#1 ·
My brake warning light came on today

I had they tyres changed yesterday and know that there is a lot of meat left on the pads, so I think it must be something to do with the wheel installation.

I am guessing that a wire has been caught.

Is this a job that can be fixed at home or must it be re-set by the dealer.

Although the bike s still under warranty, the dealer is 120 mile round trip!

Thanks in advance

Mike

#2 ·
Reset needs to be done by the dealer, after he has repaired the wire to the brake pad wear indicator.

#4 ·
Mine came on the other day. I checked the pads and there was plenty left on the pads. I started up the next day - light still on. Went for gas. Started back up and the light never came on. Go figure. I thought I was going to have to schedule a visit. I have around 11900 on it now.

#5 ·
About 5 years ago I had a braking problem with an 1150GS which I fixed myself even though the bike was under warranty. As result I got a right b---------g of the dealer's mechanic.

So, with this in mind I rang BMW Assistance and explained that I thought I knew what the problem was but I had a RED warning symbol on the console. Panic bells. We must send you an BMW assist person. Very nice man turns up and explains he knows nothing about bikes and rings a mate.

Mate tells him it is not dangerous and tells me to take it to the dealer. On further investigation, he finds the fault......a broken wire about a foot (sorry 10cm) above the caliper. He traced the wire back to the connector and disconnected it but the light refused to go out.

Sorry Mate, he says buts its got to be re-set by the dealer.

Guess where I'm ringing in the morning. Unfortunately 120 mile round trip and I was there on Friday for a 6k service!

Mike

#6 ·
Mine came on last Sunday and stayed on for around 150 Ks or so. Started off next morning and it was no longer on.
The bike has now done 11500 Ks so I thought it might actually be a genuine low pad warning but now that its gone out again it seems like it might just be another of this bikes demons sent to haunt me.

#7 ·
All now fixed under warranty but

I was told by the dealer that the right hand front disc pads and the wire are all one unit at a cost of £58 :eek: , with no aftermarket pads available at the moment!

Does the non SE have the pad thickness warning light, and if it does not are the pads compatable?

Mike

#9 ·
Mine came on a week ago at about 2000miles its gonig in to the shop next friday i have a feeling that it's the right side front the light is intermentant on & off. It looks like they zip-tied that side and pinched the wires. The left side has the proper wire holders. =(

#10 ·
Trace the wire coming from the righthand brake pads. You'll find that it is stretched very tight between two of the hydraulic brake lines which can vibrate independently. This fatigues the wire and can cause the conductors to break. The light didn't go out when you disconnected it because it needs continuity. I'm guessing that if you'd shorted the two leads inside the cable, the light would clear.

I cut one of the wire-tires, releasing the cable where it was stretched tight, just above the front fender, and I hope that this will prevent the problem for me in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.