New Canon Camera Owners.. A Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 4:35 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

New Canon Camera Owners.. A Question

Long story... I have a new computer running Vista.. I want/need/desire a graphics program called ArcSoft Photo Studio 5.5

I checked the ArcSoft website and it says the 5.5 version is NOT compatible with Vista.. Damn!!..

but over on ebay, I guy is selling a CD Rom (pic below) that apparently comes with every new Canon camera and it has Photo Studio 5.5 bundled in on the CD. He claims the CD says Vista compatible on it.. I have emailed the guy to confirm but have not heard anything back from him.. The ebay item # is 130179983764

So.. if anyone has purchased a Canon camera lately and you got the CD with it.... can you confirm that the software is Vista compatible?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2007, 3:15 pm
Would rather be riding

Give me a couple of days

I just purchased a Canon 870, it'll arrive Friday. I've got a Dell XPS1330 with Vista on it at home. When the camera shows up I'll check the software against my install for ya. We've got some older Canon cameras already (5D, 10D, SD40) but none came with the CD that you show.

FWIW, I'm a Mac guy, and do all my photo work with iPhoto, Photoshop Elements, and Graphic Converter. Dell gave me the Vista PC and it's a nice addition at home, but I don't regularly use it for photos, so my advice will be strictly limited to whether the software runs or not!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2007, 4:21 pm
Veteran

Right from the wifes mouth....Vista sucks!!!....she is the puter goto...she does pics and film...got so bad she went back to XP......and programs i try to run on vista...work maaaaybe 50% of the time....best thing is a MAC....santa I want.....but...must be a phone number you can call....that is if you can understand what the hell their saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2007, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Actually... now that I have figured it out.. I LOVE Vista.. It's worlds better than XP but there sure is a learning curve to figure it out...

Yes.. there is a program compatibility issue now with old programs but no different than not being able to get accessories for a new bike until somebody makes them...

Honestly.. Now that I've figured it out.. XP seems primitive in comparison...Vista rocks!!

As for Mac... Geez.. do they still make computers? There is a reason that only 3% of the world population use them..I trained and worked on them for years and I hated them..Would rather have a salt encrusted, flaming stick shoved into my eye before I'd buy another.. Only Mac users like them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Right from the wifes mouth....Vista sucks!!!....she is the puter goto...she does pics and film...got so bad she went back to XP......and programs i try to run on vista...work maaaaybe 50% of the time....best thing is a MAC....santa I want.....but...must be a phone number you can call....that is if you can understand what the hell their saying
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Actually... now that I have figured it out.. I LOVE Vista.. It's worlds better than XP but there sure is a learning curve to figure it out...

Yes.. there is a program compatibility issue now with old programs but no different than not being able to get accessories for a new bike until somebody makes them...

Honestly.. Now that I've figured it out.. XP seems primitive in comparison...Vista rocks!!

As for Mac... Geez.. do they still make computers? There is a reason that only 3% of the world population use them..I trained and worked on them for years and I hated them..Would rather have a salt encrusted, flaming stick shoved into my eye before I'd buy another.. Only Mac users like them...
........DAVE who?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 7:01 am
Addict

I know when you buy a camera it comes with camera software which you think you've gotta use 'cos you paid for it. But often the software is extremely limited and in my experience not that well written.

If you buy a memory card reader you don't need to hook up the camera to their software each time to suck out pics - so you don't need that part of the camera software.

I've used Photoshop for many years, also Ulead PhotoImpact , and Photopaint. I've never wasted disc space installing software supplied with a camera. Most alternatives will handle Canon RAW to.

I just bought a Sony DVcam, but I'm using Pinnacle to process the vid.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 10:52 am
Will ride for picts

Just bought an i-Mac after decades of PC ownerships / upgrades / homebuilds. I want to use it for managing and editing photos, and since I'd have to go through switching pain to learn Vista, I figured "what the hell" and decided to learn Mac OS. Macs are supposed to be da bomb for video / photo editing, so I've got some high expectations with respect to the experience. We'll see in a couple weeks.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 7:03 pm
Would rather be riding

Vista on a Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Heh, well, maybe. MacOS market share is up to over 6% now, but yeah it's still way behind XP and now even behind Vista which just passed 7%.

I've used everything (seriously... Xerox Star anyone? Amiga, Commodore, TRS-80? OS/2? Next? BeOS? Too many UNIX/Linux flavors to count...) I remain a Mac guy.

I just bought a new 17" Mac laptop to replace my old one. I plan on installing Vista or XP on it as well as MacOS -- it's got Intel CPUs and Apple provides drivers for all the peripherals, so it runs Vista surprisingly well. I'll use MacOS for pretty much everything I do normally (photos, music, email, web surfing) and Vista/XP for work stuff and for games. The Apple iLife suite works really well for me, there's nothing comparable on Vista or XP, and they keep coming out with nice updates.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 9:46 pm
It janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
The Apple iLife suite works really well for me, there's nothing comparable on Vista or XP, and they keep coming out with nice updates.
One of the worst shortcomings of the iLife Suite is that is does not come for PC's *AND it does not handle RAW file very well. Meaning e.g. changing color temperature e.g. is very troublesome. That is really the only two gripes I have about the iLife Suite. Anybody got the new version 8 already? Anything changed in that regards?

Andreas Pleschutznig
Houston, TX
'10 F800GS
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2007, 2:02 pm
Would rather be riding

RAW works great for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
One of the worst shortcomings of the iLife Suite is that is does not come for PC's *AND it does not handle RAW file very well. Meaning e.g. changing color temperature e.g. is very troublesome.
I shoot in Canon RAW all the time (with my 5D), and iPhoto handles it well. I've never had a problem with changing the temperature, there's a nice slider in the edit pane and it works like I expect. I do have iLife '08, and I definitely like the new "events" feature of iPhoto, it makes it really easy to sort through my library. I have 15000 (yes, thousand) photos in my iPhoto library, no problems.

As far as griping that it's not for PCs. That's sort of the whole point!

Back to the original poster's question, my Canon camera came today and it's got the same software disk on it. I'll try it tonight on my Vista PC at home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode