Just a clip of a cop hiding - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2009, 7:46 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Just a clip of a cop hiding

This is off the VIO camera around Portola, CA on highway 70.

The guy in the oncoming white truck was flashing his headlights at me so I knew something was going on up ahead. Then I saw what it was. Didn't spot him until I was almost beside him. Pretty sneaky spot and not the run of the mill cruiser either.

Video of cop hiding in non-standard cruiser patrol vehicle.

Their cruisers (not shown in this segment) often sit in parking lots off the side near the towns so you need to watch for their "parking lot hiding" as well in the area around Portola and Quincy, CA (their sub-station is in Quincy). Those two areas seem to be a big speed-trap area from Speedtrap.org site.

It's hard to pick up where the cop was sitting on the approach. Appears he is either trying to catch people speeding down the hill or crossing over the single yellow line. He blends in well until maybe too late.

Sorry about the gnat on the lens. Looks like a bit of dust flying up on the left hand side of the road in the video clip.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2009, 12:48 am
Rookie

I was raised to respect the police... but now it seems to be about generating revenue and not much else... I pretty much hate the bastards...

2008 K1200S
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2009, 11:41 am
Will ride for picts

Been planning a little day ride to Downieville, but can't seem to fit it in the schedule. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2009, 7:10 am
Veteran

You need to tell Arnold to spend some of that money he don't have on calling a pest control officer to get rid of all those "tar snakes".......damn!..thought it was bad in NE...Did you know that if they would just drill for oil off the coast that the country wouldn't have to bail you guys out.... and run sneeeeeky speed traps
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2009, 8:54 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
You need to tell Arnold to spend some of that money he don't have on calling a pest control officer to get rid of all those "tar snakes".......damn!..thought it was bad in NE...Did you know that if they would just drill for oil off the coast that the country wouldn't have to bail you guys out.... and run sneeeeeky speed traps
You noticed that too?

Yeah, I've noticed the roads are getting pretty bad out here as well. Usually Northern CA has some pretty decent and well engineered roads even with all the snow they get, but 70 is one snake-ridden road in the eastern half.

In the southern half of the state the potholes are really getting bad in the truck and bus lanes, some 4 inches deep and maybe as long as 2-3 feet (no kidding!), especially on CA-99. If you are unfamiliar with the area, night-time M/C riding is ill advised due to the severity of some of the holes. Many have been there for months now. My bike is in for warranty work and seems the CHP has been bumping it out of the service bay for a week now (they're first per some contract they have) and the last was for a bent rim. They don't seem to ride their bikes much around here at night either. Gee, I wonder why?

Mack
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2009, 9:01 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
You noticed that too?

Yeah, I've noticed the roads are getting pretty bad out here as well. Usually Northern CA has some pretty decent and well engineered roads even with all the snow they get, but 70 is one snake-ridden road in the eastern half.

In the southern half of the state the potholes are really getting bad in the truck and bus lanes, some 4 inches deep and maybe as long as 2-3 feet (no kidding!), especially on CA-99. If you are unfamiliar with the area, night-time M/C riding is ill advised due to the severity of some of the holes. Many have been there for months now. My bike is in for warranty work and seems the CHP has been bumping it out of the service bay for a week now (they're first per some contract they have) and the last was for a bent rim. They don't seem to ride their bikes much around here at night either. Gee, I wonder why?

Mack
Seriously!..I was thinking of going out and marking the death traps with some reflective paint....I ride probly 50% in the dark...and unless you have a chance to study the rout you can become a victim real quick...we have the same up here 3 foot long "eaters".....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Sort of off topic but lines right up there with "Sneaky Cops".

Can someone please tell me how constitutional it is to have an unmarked police car with regular licensed plates pulling people over for traffic violations?

I would think somewhere that this would be considered entrapment or even dangerous. Think about how someone could take advantage of that.

For example, my wife was pulled over for doing 5 over on the highway by one of these turkeys. She couldn't see that it was a cop because he had the lights in the grills, tinted windows, regular Washington State plates, and he was driving one of those Dodge station wagons.

WTF?! She called 911 and asked what she should do. The cop let her go but gave her a bunch of shit about trying to elude her and talking on the cell. I think the only thing that got her out of it was the 911 operator was still on the phone calling the Wash State Patrol to get an ID on the plates to see if it was an actual trooper. She handed the phone over to prove she called 911. Apparently he was pretty surprised that she did that even though he didn't believe her until she handed over the phone.

Sad....

Cheers! - Walt
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2009, 5:27 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium5
Sort of off topic but lines right up there with "Sneaky Cops".

Can someone please tell me how constitutional it is to have an unmarked police car with regular licensed plates pulling people over for traffic violations?

I would think somewhere that this would be considered entrapment or even dangerous. Think about how someone could take advantage of that.

For example, my wife was pulled over for doing 5 over on the highway by one of these turkeys. She couldn't see that it was a cop because he had the lights in the grills, tinted windows, regular Washington State plates, and he was driving one of those Dodge station wagons.

WTF?! She called 911 and asked what she should do. The cop let her go but gave her a bunch of shit about trying to elude her and talking on the cell. I think the only thing that got her out of it was the 911 operator was still on the phone calling the Wash State Patrol to get an ID on the plates to see if it was an actual trooper. She handed the phone over to prove she called 911. Apparently he was pretty surprised that she did that even though he didn't believe her until she handed over the phone.

Sad....
unmarked car...lights in the grill ...reg plates...scrrrrrrew him...to many weirdos out there to trust that!.....dont even stop...drive to the nearest populated area or a police station then stop.....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2009, 9:07 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Unmarked vehicles are becoming more commonplace. The CA CHP has some that are unmarked except for a very faint emblem on their doors so you can tell they are legit when their door opens, even if it is an older green metallic Dodge Ram pickup.

The local city police has some really POS car I suspect they use for narcotics or undercover work. Fenders are gray primered and different colors on body panels and dents too. It does have a siren and the colored lights buried in the grill, but you'd think it would never be a police officer so I could understand some people's apprehension on pulling over and I've never seen him use it for traffic, but maybe it's just used for going to a call. He had the siren on at an intersection with the lights on and it sure was a bewildering site until I caught a glimpse of his uniform. Then again, maybe he was a fraud too?

Arizona is getting more unmarked vehicles too and it was a subject on the radio yesterday, plus a lot of speed cameras. It was a side-bar in my last months Auto Club magazine as well. Danica Patrick (Indy car) has been busted for 50 in 35 twice in Scottsdale, AZ off their cams. Her reflexes alone ought to give her a pass and maybe she'd get off if it were a cop rather than their speed cams.

I was just looking at the town of Maricopa, CA on Speedtrap.org where it appears their local cops will write you for 20 over even if you are under the limit. Money must be needed in a town of only 1100 people (looks like it has maybe 200 at best when I went through there. Pretty much a ghost town except for one mini-market and one restaurant).
Here: Speedtrap.org - Maricopa, CA speedtrap

Pendergrass, Georgia is another big trap one where the average citizen there pays over $1,136 a year for local traffic fines (pop. of 450 people). I read where Illinois is also seeking fines of $1000 for on-cam speeding and pushing for $2000 in Maryland. Probably will only go up as average income/wealth drops.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode