HD Video Cameras - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2011, 12:19 am Thread Starter

HD Video Cameras

What do you guys use for HD video cameras while out on rides? My ideal is something that can be plugged into a power source other than batteries ( for obvious reasons), and has reasonable picture quality.

Jerome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2011, 9:28 am
Riding in company

Go Pro seems to be the thing.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2011, 4:32 pm
Addict

Much of this HD stuff is a con. Either the chip native resolution is a lot lower and they digitally upscale, or the lenses are so poor that whatever the chip does, the sharpness is thrown away in the glass.

I saw a young lad showing off some clips he shot on a HD camcorder, pointing out how sharp they were on the flip out viewfinder. It's only when you put the pics on a decent 42" plasma panel (after first working out how to edit them!) that you find out what the image quality is really like.

I just a bought an interesting cheap toy to play with - A Microsoft Lifecam 'Studio' widescreen webcam. Although it's branded MS, I think I know its pedigree design background.

The pics off this camera are quite stunning for something so small because it has a true 1080p sensor, but there are a couple of downsides. The USB2 lead is about 2M long and you can't easily extend it. The PC/laptop needs to be fast and high end when shooting at full HD 1920 X1080. You can set it to do lower resolutions when it's quality is better than a standard def. camera.

I'll see if my Netbook is up to the speed and try it out on the bike.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Contour

I've been using a Contour HD GPS and like it. I used it last winter for shooting vid on a
snowmobile trip, helmet mount. I edited the footage and burned it onto a bluray for playback
on the 52" LCD and it was awesome. Everyone who watched the vid said the same thing.
In the interest of space and speed of my desktop for the edit process I shot it all in 720p.

In the meantime I've built a faster desktop (Intel Core i7) and then shot some vid on a
glacier ride (on the sled in April) at 1080p. Noticeably better.

I just finished installing a Ram mount on the KGT for the Contour for an upcoming
ride. Tested it around the neighborhood and works well. I chose the Contour over the
GoPro because of the form factor. (size and shape)

2016 R1200 GSA, 2007 K1200 GT, 1981 CBX, 1975 Norton, 1968 Moto Guzzi
The Banks Tour - Fair to Outer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 4:11 am
Addict

You definitely found the downside of HD editing and the need for a fast PC and Good GFX.

I'm at the end of the line now running a 3Ghz overclocked P5 at nearly 4Ghz, so my next step is i7 in the same socket when the prices drop a bit more.

My first HD task on an old 486 PC took all night to render a 1 hour vid. without crashing.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
You definitely found the downside of HD editing and the need for a fast PC and Good GFX.

I'm at the end of the line now running a 3Ghz overclocked P5 at nearly 4Ghz, so my next step is i7 in the same socket when the prices drop a bit more.

My first HD task on an old 486 PC took all night to render a 1 hour vid. without crashing.
That is for sure. My old desktop was not up to handling the HD and would frequently hang.

Its quite easy to shoot HD material these days but its another thing altogether to do any
editing. Software selection took a while too. The first few we looked at had a steep
learning curve and sizeable $$ investment, Sony, Adobe, Pinnacle and etc.

We settled on Movie Plus from Serif (UK product.) Very reasonable price and we
(wife and I) were able to get the first video done quick due to good tutorial and easy to
use navigation.

Certainly a lot to learn but its been a fun process. Worth the time.

2016 R1200 GSA, 2007 K1200 GT, 1981 CBX, 1975 Norton, 1968 Moto Guzzi
The Banks Tour - Fair to Outer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2011, 5:13 pm
Addict

I'm still with Pinnacle Studio. Very buggy, but I've learned how to do registry fixes for it.

Rendering the HD vid still needs a lot of PC horsepower. In the Early days (similarities to early CorelDraw) PC's just weren't up to doing the rendering. That was the problem with Studio, so it got labelled as rubbish software. With any vid. editor, if you just join clips together you can get good results. But once you start tweaking with video color effects and sound effects the PC is more stressed and has to do a lot more work.

Studio was set by default to do background rendering whilst you worked. They thought it could save time when you finished the project, but the PC loading for that, running the preview and edit functions was just too much so you got freezes. Also not all PC's are the same. I've got a load of tools for doing PC stress tests and it took me a while to get mine overclocked and tuned so it would run a stress test for a few hours without stalling. Most laptops don't have the cooling to run the distance and will be throttling back on processing speeds after a short time.

I was quite interested in some of the newer HD editors where reviewers were claiming fewer problems with crashing. I loaded a couple of trials and what they have done is dropped the processor core loadings, which is a bit of a cheat because stability comes at the expense of longer rendering times.

Intel Core i7 is what you need, but you have to have the power supply, cooling, fast GFX and fast memory to go with it.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2012, 10:34 pm
Rookie

I'm on my second video camera. For the longest time, I the VIO POV 1.5 unit (720 resolution)
, which is by far the most rugged, and versatile unit, not only because it's waterproof, but because the recording unit is very functional. I've wanted to the HD version, but it's pricey. What's nice about it is that the recording unit is in continuous recording mode and with the remote unit, you TAG your desired moments. Example: You just drove pass something that's very cool. TAG. The tag is place at up to 3 minutes before the tag. On your computer, you then can download just the tagged clips since downloading hours of video would be a waste. Secondly, the camera unit is located on a lipstick head unit attached to a 1 meter cable to the recording head and half way up the cable is a microphone, such that you can put the head unit on your helmet, and the mike inside as you narrate your footage. What I like to do is to put the bike out of the wind field.

Almost all of these action cameras have one major fault and that is that their mic's pick up a horrible wind blast, making the audio annoying. The mike on the VIO POV can be placed outside the wind blast field.

http://www.vio-pov.com/products-all/pov-hd.html

Here is a sample of the audio and video. Again, this is not an HD unit, which now sells for $599.

And up to now, I haven't wanted to buy GoPro because of the mike limitations. This was resolved in the most recent introduction of the GoPro HD Hero2. Same price, 2X improved lens and - the best part, a plug for an external mic. I've been waiting for this for the longest time. They've improved the user interface a great deal using natural English, instead of gibberish in the previous GoPro HD. You must insist in the Hero 2 if you want the newest feature set. Other new and improved features are a 11MP camera (compared to 5MP). It can take high speed stills (10 per second burst mode) and time lapse photography. All of this is shown in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUEZC...layer_embedded

The newest GoPro for Motorcycles sells for $299.

--------------------
Boston Bagger (in Florida)
--------------------
2008 BMW K1200GT (Grey)
2007 BMW K1200GT (Silver) (Totaled by other)
2004 BMW R1150RT (Silver Ghost)
2001 Harley ElectraGlide STD. (Black)
1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Olive Green / Cream)
1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro RT-1 (Black)
1968 Yamaha 125 / 175 Enduro AT-1 (White)
1963 Honda 250 Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode