Anyone going to be in Sturgis for bike week? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:25 pm Thread Starter

Anyone going to be in Sturgis for bike week?

I know its blasphemy, but I'll be there on my '03 KGT if anyone wants to meet for a ride. Arriving Tue night leaving Sunday morning. Let me know. Thx. Bob H. St. Louis, MO [email protected]

Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO - '03 K1200GT - Lite Buddies - MV Adjustable Risers - V1 - Mix-It2 - FIAMM's - CQ HID - Zumo 550 - PIAA 004XT - Custom LED front markers - Aeroflow Tall Sport Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:39 pm
Noob

Bob
Yes and no. Will arrive on Sun. eve and depart Spearfish for yellowstone on Tues. morn. Would have been fun to run Spearfish canyon with you. By the way, great taste in bikes, I'm riding my 04 GT this year.
Not to hijack your thread, but any suggestions on rodes that way, and down to Durango,Co.?
Have a great time.

Trigger

trigger

HI-HO SILVER, AWAY
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2007, 7:46 am
Enthusiast

Trigger, I just rode through that area with my son. From Spearfish go North on 85 to 212. Take 212 all the way to I-90, Crow Agency. Here you can visit Custer/Little Bighorn Battlefield. Jump on I-90 for a short while past Billings to Laurel and pick up 212 again. Take 212 through Red Lodge, get gas, and on up and over Bear Tooth Pass. This is a fantastic K-bike road. This will take you to Silver Gate, several fair priced lodges there to spend the night. Just after Silver Gate is the North East entrance to Yellowstone. When you are done with Yellowstone take 191 south to Flaming Gorge. Work your way south to Grand Junction take 50 to Montrose, go check out Black Canyon. You can head down 550 to Durango from there. This route will take you on very little interstate, and a lot of good riding. You really have to go over Bear Tooth Pass on a motorcycle. Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Wildbeast, you're not messing around.

Trigger- I was at the rally two years ago. If you want a day ride to see the area, and catch most of the big attractions, take 14A west out of Sturgis through Deadwood (site #1). Take 285 south out of Deadwood, through Hill City, to 244 east towards Mt. Rushmore (site #2). After MR, go south on 16A (Iron Mountain Road - Road/Site #3), and stay right until you get to Wildlife Loop Road (south) - Site/Road #4 - Custer State Park. Take WLR to 87 north and keep going through the Needles Highway (which is 87) (Site/Road #5). Take 87 east to: option 1. 89 south (the long cut) down to 16 west to 385 north to the Crazy Horse Memorial (Site #6). Or, option 2. 87 east to 16/385 south to Crazy Horse Memorial (a little shorter). From Crazyhorse, if you want to get back up to Sturgis, either backtrack and take 385 north all the way back through Deadwood or if you want a longer ride, you could go south from Crazy Horse to 16 west into Wyoming to 85 north which would be the LONG cut back up to Deadwood. I know it sounds confusing, but check your maps and you'll see that this is a nice loop and you'll see a lot in one day. Also, the highway 14a south from Spearfish, called Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway, is a nice ride as well. You could incorporate that into this loop if you wanted to (by starting in Spearfish, going south, and then heading over to Deadwoood to the east).

Let me know if you have any questions. I also have another day ride/loop in the area if you're looking for two days worth of riding. The above is like a 200 mile loop (if i recall correctly). If you're a road warrior, I could also add the Badlands Park to this loop and you wouldn't backtrack much at all, but it would add some serious mileage to the day (in my opinion... I don't necessarily want to ride 300+ miles in a day for fun).

Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO - '03 K1200GT - Lite Buddies - MV Adjustable Risers - V1 - Mix-It2 - FIAMM's - CQ HID - Zumo 550 - PIAA 004XT - Custom LED front markers - Aeroflow Tall Sport Screen
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 5:54 pm
Noob

Sounds Terrific!! Thanks for the ride suggestions. Just rolled in last night from OKC, having bike reshod. Its easy to forget how well they ride with new rubber. Now I'm heading for my maps to highlight these roads.
Thanks,
Trigger

trigger

HI-HO SILVER, AWAY
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2007, 1:49 pm
Enthusiast

550 out of Montrose (just south of Grand Junction/Delta) down to Ouray,Silverton on to Durango,co. great ride

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:51 pm
Enthusiast

I've been through that area a few times but NEVER during bike week. As a result, I could ride the black hills at my speed (which would be significantly faster than a bunch of overweight, underqualified "trailer queen" riders). I've talked to numerous folks who have been there during the week and it is wall to wall bikes, slow going and again, the vast majority of which have zero skill (or less). I suppose it is only because there are so many of them that they can't get up to any speed to kill off more (unlike Daytona). I was VERY happy to go through in the off season (before the week) yet still be able to pick up merchandise etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode