2009 GS Rally - Down Under - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2009, 4:59 am Thread Starter
Addict

2009 GS Rally - Down Under

Found this on UTUBE.
BMW Australia puts on an annual off road and an on road rally with BMW Tech sweep vehicle, Tyre vehicle, arranged accom etc.

This guy has taken a short film of his adventure, thought you might enjoy it.

Cheers

PS This guy rode around 3000ks just to get to the start of the rally!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKghc...eature=related

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2009, 11:15 am

Hey Dadi

Man I wished I had known about that earlier. They went and visited the best place on earth. Where's Westy? He should also recognise a few places in the Safari.

Crossed the Paddock plenty times, but never done it on a GS. The 90 mile must have driven him out of his mind. Almost as bad as the stretch between Rocky and Mackay...

Thanks for sharing. If I ever went back, I would pull the trigger on a GSA in heartbeat.

Cheers,

Bloke

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember engineers built the Titanic, but amateurs built the Ark...

There is less to fear from 100 horses under the saddle, as from the 1 donkey on top.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2009, 4:32 am Thread Starter
Addict

Bloke, I just came back from 9 days on the Island and did it on my GSA. Had a ball.
The next BMW Safari for road bikes is scheduled for Feb/March and will be in Tassie.
Maybe you could visit for a holiday and get a renter for the week. Maybe a bike too Ha Ha !
Here is the link. http://www.bmwsafari.com/

10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2009, 5:09 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
Found this on UTUBE.
BMW Australia puts on an annual off road and an on road rally with BMW Tech sweep vehicle, Tyre vehicle, arranged accom etc.

This guy has taken a short film of his adventure, thought you might enjoy it.

Cheers

PS This guy rode around 3000ks just to get to the start of the rally!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKghc...eature=related
Andrew that ride looked like a real adventure, exactly the kind of ride I love. Only problem is with my GT it would be impossible to keep the rubber side down. Australia looks similar to our South West. How long did it take you to get the mud off the GS?

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2009, 6:24 am Thread Starter
Addict

It took me a full day Dan and that was after hitting her in a high pressure car wash thingy half way round the trip.
Dan, Tasmania is an island at the southern most point of eastern Australia. It is renowned for its pristine wilderness and for us two wheelers its roads both dirt and bitumen.
The whole island is full of roads much like what I see of your Dragons tail.
You can ride for hundreds of kilometers and barely get a straight stretch of road.
It is full of its own little micro climates. You can be riding along in basking sunshine in the morning and be in snow in the afternoon AND THATS IN SUMMER.
I had a brand new set of Continental Trail Attacks on when I left home and I have worn the sides off of them! The rest of the tyre is fine but Im down to the wear indicators on each side. No chicken strips when you go to Tassie.
If Westridge reads this he will be crying into his tropical warm beer pining for home!
You there John?

10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 10:30 am

Quote:
Bloke, I just came back from 9 days on the Island and did it on my GSA. Had a ball. The next BMW Safari for road bikes is scheduled for Feb/March and will be in Tassie.
Maybe you could visit for a holiday and get a renter for the week. Maybe a bike too Ha Ha !
Wouldn't need a renter at home, reckon I might get one of the old gf's to put out for old times sake

The safari thing has sorta got me thinkin...might just import my own bike....and sorta just leave it there and sell it. Checked out the OZ Customs rulez, and it might even be doable. Apart from that, I might be able to find a Hondaka 754 rolladoor up for grabs.

9 days ain't long to see the Island, Did you go to Bruny Island near Hobart? That's my old stamping ground there...as well as up an down the East Coast.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing...I miss that joint a lot actually.

Bloke

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember engineers built the Titanic, but amateurs built the Ark...

There is less to fear from 100 horses under the saddle, as from the 1 donkey on top.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 10:49 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBloke
Wouldn't need a renter at home, reckon I might get one of the old gf's to put out for old times sake

The safari thing has sorta got me thinkin...might just import my own bike....and sorta just leave it there and sell it. Checked out the OZ Customs rulez, and it might even be doable. Apart from that, I might be able to find a Hondaka 754 rolladoor up for grabs.

9 days ain't long to see the Island, Did you go to Bruny Island near Hobart? That's my old stamping ground there...as well as up an down the East Coast.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing...I miss that joint a lot actually.

Bloke
Hey Bloke, I never got to Bruny Island but rode the coast road from Hobart round through Kettering, Middleton etc to Huonville and then did Mt Wellington on the way back.
That was probably the nicest day I had there actually, weather was supurb. I came across a little beach about half way from Middleton to Huonville where I just stopped to stretch the legs. Ive never been more tempted to nude up for a swim but wasnt sure if the locals (didnt see any) would be rushing to un-beach me .

10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode