2010 MOA Rally - Photos - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 2:57 am Thread Starter

2010 MOA Rally - Photos

Thought I started one since I can't find one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0525.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	12349   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0531.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	12351   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0543.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	12352   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0544.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	12353   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0547.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	12354  

Name:	GEDC0548.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	12355   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0553.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	12356   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0565.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	12357   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0574.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	676.7 KB
ID:	12358   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0585.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	12359  

"Today's cars are the most complex, sophisticated machines ever to be places in the hands of inexpert operators.", Richard Parry-Jones on what's really holding back the automobile

Last edited by iehawk; Jul 21st, 2010 at 3:05 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 7:37 pm
Noob

Fun rally, eh? It was my first one. Rode up from SoCal and had a longgggg, hot ride back on Sunday.

Rick in Camarillo
K1200S
R1200GSA
KTM 950A
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 12:48 am Thread Starter

Hey Rick! Yea, that was a fun one. It was my first time too and I rode up with a friend of mine on Wednesday.

Left on Sunday as well and yes, it was a hot one! But by the time I'm home you still have about 6 more hours to go? Well, glad you made it home safely... since you posted.

"Today's cars are the most complex, sophisticated machines ever to be places in the hands of inexpert operators.", Richard Parry-Jones on what's really holding back the automobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2010, 11:33 pm
Addict

Smile MOA Rally

It's about my 10th one,always a good time.It was hot in the day,COOOLD at night!Great location and beautiful country. Lots of vendors,good food,well organized and fun.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2010, 3:05 am Thread Starter

More photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GEDC0587.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	12367   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0589.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	12368   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0594.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	12369   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0600.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	12370   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0605.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	12371  

Name:	GEDC0606.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	12372  

Last edited by iehawk; Jul 25th, 2010 at 3:26 am.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2010, 2:57 am
nuK
Noob

From left to right. Mt. Bachelor, The Sisters (south, middle, north). Of course the smaller peaks all have names but who bothers to learn those?

Mt. Jefferson

Only bike that I truly liked. Unfortunately I had the opportunity to get to know the owner later on.

I'm so glad my K1200R deal went sideways 3 years ago. After working on the K1200/1300 series for 4 days, it was relief to know fate was looking out for me. If I had to buy a BMW for touring this is the one I'd buy.

Gotta admit though, you beamer owners do know how to put on a party. The vendor selection was amazing! I was able to get my Arai helmet custom tuned to my funny head by The Service Pavilion. Awesome folks to deal with. I didn't get a chance to watch the stunt show but it must have been impressive since all my track rat buddies/instructors said so. Food was awesome! Live bands til Midnight everynight was very cool. I really enjoyed the blues band on Friday night.

More to come.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2010, 11:12 am

What is the brand of the tent looking cover with a motorcycle in it? Pretty cool.

David J.
Dallas, TX
2006K1200GT (Heidi)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

I sure hope someone here remember that tent's brand. It is really cool.

Curiously, what's wrong with the R1100S' owner?

The 2010 RT is a noticeably better bike... did you ride it? What do you think?

Oops... one more photo courtesy of Razel with Pieter de Waal and Fred Jakobs. I wish I were better dressed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Small IMG_1563.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	12386  

Last edited by iehawk; Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:28 pm.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2010, 6:15 am
nuK
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by iehawk

Curiously, what's wrong with the R1100S' owner?

The 2010 RT is a noticeably better bike... did you ride it? What do you think?
Look at the R1100S again. Rear tyre, 8 o'clock position. That shiny spot is a nail but I wouldn't know this until much later in the day.

Owner comes by the pit and orders an oil change. No problem. I finish it and perform a cursory inspection of basic things like loose fasteners (pinch bolts, caliper bolts, exhaust, axels, lug bolts, etc), brake pads, and tyres. As soon as I spun the rear tyre I found the nail. Called the customer back to have him decide what he wants to do. I pull the nail out with him in attendance. The nail hasn't gone all the way through but it's a big one and obviously there's no way to tell how close it has come to piercing the inner tyre wall. He asks me to plug it but since it's not officially a hole I'm unwilling to create a hole. Now this bike is pristine with 6K on the clock and it's a '99 model but I start to form ideas about this guy when he told me he couldn't remember when the oil had been changed last. This makes no sense as I thought beamer guys were particularly sensitive to their bikes needs. Oh well. We recommended he replace the rear tyre and with our massive selection he had his choices from performance street tyres for sportbikes to knobbies for serious off roading GS types. Initially he doesn't want any part of replacing the tyre since the nail didn't go through and there's still tons of tread on it. "They've been fantastic tyres since the bike was new and it looks like I still can get another 6000 miles out of them", he said. My eyebrows go up and I ask him if those are indeed the same tyres the bike came from the factory with. He says yes. I ask him why in the world is he running around the country with 12 year old tyres? I finally convince him that due to his distance from the rally he better ante up the $325 for a new set since they're 12years old, and we've just pulled a nail out of his rear. For crying out loud he has already gotten his moneys worth out of these things. How much is peace of mind worth to make sure you get home after riding thousands of miles? Again this bike is gorgeous and I tell him this and it had to have cost over 12K new and he's grumbling about a lousy $325 for a set of tyres? So what does he do? He runs to the Metzler Factory guys and buys a set for $65 more than what we would have charged him. I finally settle on the notion this bike is simply the occasional coffee getter at the local Starbucks and he hasn't a clue about the technical aspects of bikes and he's certainly not interested in finding one.

I can only surmise we track guys are a different lot. We get 5 days out of a set of rubbers if we're lucky, so the notion of 6000 miles on a set puts us over the moon. Everything on a trackbike has to be scrutinized so you don't experience foul ups out there on the course. Oil changes at my riding level are every 2 trackdays at Portland International Raceway and every 4-5 at Oregon Raceway Park. The fast guys/racers will change it after every trackday at PIR due to the fueling that occurs to the oil on the long front and back straightaways. So it just struck me odd that someone who has taken such loving care of a bike for this long is so oblivous to the obvious. I know it's all relative but still shake my head whenever I think of this bike.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2010, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Wow!!! $325 for a set of tires is cheap! And I imagined that set had been there for a while too. I mean, doesn't he know that tires harden after a long while and they become a bit more brittle?

Good advice and glad you pushed it on him for safety sake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode