BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

best music reproducing wired headphones

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  XMagnaRider 
#1 ·
any input on music reproducing quality of J&M elite series (wired) headphones?
have, ready to install, Baehr Ultima XL amp/preamp, garmin zumo 550 GPS with XM, and
an 8GB iPOD nano, running via wired headset (J&M Elite series). My question is this--
I have 2 pair of Sennheiser PX-200 home headsets that I could splice into (I hope--
the J&M helmet wiring has proprietary connectors that I would have to work around) the
remainder of the J&M wiring. I made a dry run with the Sennheisers inside my helmet
wired to an iPOD with excellent music reproduction (not quite enough volume, but the Baehr
will take care of that). It would be easier to connect the stock J&M headphones. Tech sup-
port at J&M is trying to convince me that their headphones would have BETTER music
reproduction (marketing hype?) because they are "engineered for this application"

Anyone have input/experience with the J&M headphones, particularly vs. good, home quality
haedphones-- the J&M headphones are about $90 a set vs. $45 a set for the Sennheisers.
Earplugs are not an option for me.

Much obliged

See less See more
#2 ·
I run the zomo with 4 gig card and an other 8 gigs on the side , everything is connected to the autocomm ,I was getting good loop, hooked one of those pie filters all noise gone, to finish it off connected one of those new model boostaroo , they really make a difference, the stereo really gets separated nicely, and you get some type of 3d sound, a nice add on for around $40 At home I listen a set of Klipsh laScallas runnig them with a tube amp, up to today I can't see getting that kind of sound from any head set , even if it there good, not the same, besides running against the wind I don't expect home Quality, the set up I got works really nicely that's my 2 cents

#3 ·
With the acoustics of a helmet and the wind, I have found that the positioning of the speakers in the helmet so they are directly opposite your ear holes is more important than the quality of the speakers themselves. I use the Baehr supplied speakers with my Baehr Verso XL in a Shoei X11 helmet. The only better sound I have gotten is with a pair of in ear custom molded earplug speakers that I had made at the CCR Rally in Mo. last year. They are awesome, but I don't really llke using them unless I am looking at a multi-hour ride to make it worth putting in the plugs as they fit real tight. With them in, I can (and must) turn down the volume of all audio sources or risk deafness.

#4 ·
If you truly want good quality sound than you have to go with either in ear / noise canceling / blocking or custom molded in ear phones. It's just basic physics unless you're going to be sitting behind a barn door. I've done both in helmet and in ear. There is no comparison to in helmet headphones. They all suck.

#5 ·
Headphones

Edelfaule said:
have, ready to install, Baehr Ultima XL amp/preamp, garmin zumo 550 GPS with XM, and
an 8GB iPOD nano, running via wired headset (J&M Elite series). My question is this--
I have 2 pair of Sennheiser PX-200 home headsets that I could splice into (I hope--
the J&M helmet wiring has proprietary connectors that I would have to work around) the
remainder of the J&M wiring. I made a dry run with the Sennheisers inside my helmet
wired to an iPOD with excellent music reproduction (not quite enough volume, but the Baehr
will take care of that). It would be easier to connect the stock J&M headphones. Tech sup-
port at J&M is trying to convince me that their headphones would have BETTER music
reproduction (marketing hype?) because they are "engineered for this application"

Anyone have input/experience with the J&M headphones, particularly vs. good, home quality
haedphones-- the J&M headphones are about $90 a set vs. $45 a set for the Sennheisers.
Earplugs are not an option for me.

Much obliged
Etymotics

Cheers!

Todd

#7 ·
Robert_W said:
If you truly want good quality sound than you have to go with either in ear / noise canceling / blocking or custom molded in ear phones. It's just basic physics unless you're going to be sitting behind a barn door. I've done both in helmet and in ear. There is no comparison to in helmet headphones. They all suck.
Were the in ears Ultimate Ears? If so, which model? Did you have any trouble getting used to them? I'm getting a pair in a week or so. Will report.

#8 ·
howfly said:
Were the in ears Ultimate Ears? If so, which model? Did you have any trouble getting used to them? I'm getting a pair in a week or so. Will report.
The UE model that I want cost like 1000 bucks or something. So not yet any way. So far the best I've done is a $200 pair of shures. But they are still light years ahead of anything in helmet.

Looking forward to reading what you think of them. I would think that they would be outstanding given that it's pretty much exactly what they are designed for. Let us know.

#9 ·
Edelfaule said:
No experience. I've tried a lot of different setups for music. I recently replaced my Autocom headphones with titanium drivers pulled out of a set of Koss headphones for a very good result, search on bmwlt.com and you'll find more on that.

I'll agree that an in-the-ear solution is going to be best for music. Any helmet system (I've tried at least 5) is going to lose out because not only is it farther from your ear but it will have to work through your earplugs.

Unfortunately in-the-ear music solutions are now against the law in California, so rather than tempt fate I've gone back to helmet speakers. The Koss solution is pretty good -- it's at least loud enough to hear at speed, though I do get some distortion when the volume is cranked all the way up.

#10 ·
bonafidebob said:
Unfortunately in-the-ear music solutions are now against the law in California, so rather than tempt fate I've gone back to helmet speakers. The Koss solution is pretty good -- it's at least loud enough to hear at speed, though I do get some distortion when the volume is cranked all the way up.
What? :wtf: So how do they enforce it? And how come when I got pulled over this spring with the wire sticking out of my helmet didn't the CHP say a word about it? I even told the guy that I didn't notice him because I was adjusting the tunes on my Zumo. And how the hell can they say that without banning ear plugs period. My in ear phones cancel out the same db as a pair of foam ear plugs. Roughly 30db give or take. Now freaking bleeding heart left wing liberal CA is going to tell you that you need to ruin your hearing and go deaf? I thought they always new best and were supposed to protect us all!

More laws please.....yea yea yea....just what we need....more laws......

#11 ·
Robert_W said:
What? :wtf: So how do they enforce it?
Selectively? :)
But yeah, it's in the CVC as of 2004. Exceptions are made for hearing protection and hearing aids and so on. Presumably the officer exercised discretion in your case, or didn't know or forgot about it -- there's a lot in the vehicle code after all. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for this, but it's certainly possible... maybe like other code checks (loud pipes, tires, lights, etc.) they occasionally do sweeps or checkpoints?

#12 ·
ER6i +++ can't recommend highly enough. Used to run Baehr stuff, which IME are the best in-helmet headphones & head units. iPod or Garmin w/XM & a pair of ER6i blows the Baehr stuff away. "i" stands for "isolator" - they're great earplugs as well.

#13 ·
I use ordinary cheap foam earplugs for riding. They cut down on ear-damaging noise. I use earphones at work and for business travel on planes, but have no experience riding with them under a helmet.

I have a set of ER-4Ps and a set of Shure SE530PTHs. I went to an audiologist and had both fitted with Sensaphonics custom molded inserts to match my ears. It is well worth the cost in return for excellent fit and comfort.

The sound quality of the ER-4Ps is okay at best. They are completely lacking in bass response, but using a bass boost on iTunes or an iPod helps somewhat.

The SE530PTH is the same as an SE530 with an extra, separate push-to-hear accessory that lets you push a button to listen to outside sounds, such as a pilot's announcements.

The Shures are the best sound source that I have, bar none. They beat out high end headphones from Sennheiser and Sony, as well as a superb set of M&K speakers. Of course, the Shure earphones cost a lot. (~$500)

I have read that Ultimate Ears makes some earphones with superb sound quality, but cost even more than the Shure SE530s.

'Hope this helps. You may want to look at http://www.headphone.com for more information about in-ear earphones. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

#15 ·
bonafidebob said:
Unfortunately in-the-ear music solutions are now against the law in California...
Not really. It was modified at the beginning of 2007 by a smart woman who pushed the bill in the legislature. Note the added (d) below.

CA Vehicle code:
27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a
headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does
not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined
in Section 165.
(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special
construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any
highway.
(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection
equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.
(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of
earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate
injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a
manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or
horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

The custom fitting in-ear phones like Westones, Al's, and even foamies like Hearos, etc. can be effectively argues as attenuators now. They can't legislate for someone to lose their hearing as helmet wind noise is often above OSHA levels. That coupled with the Americans With Disabilities Act that they cannot discriminate against a person with a disability (as in "deaf") cannot ride a motorcycle.

Cop will lose in court if they don't know the current law's status or just out for a B.S. ticket, but it might take an attorney to do so.

Mack

#16 ·
Ive had UEs, Etymotics 6i's and Baehr's speakers.....the 6i's are far and away the best sounding speakers for the $. I use Mouldex Rocket tips as they dont put pressure on the ear like foam or rubber. Sure the UEs were nice, but at over 500bux, I use them elsewhere.
I run the Baehr LT system w/Ipod and XM radio. You can use the in ear buds with an adapter from Cycle Gadgets that your buds plug into, and you can still communicate with your pillion with it. I think the adapter is 55 bux.
Good luck.

F

#17 ·
GMack said:
Not really. It was modified at the beginning of 2007 by a smart woman who pushed the bill in the legislature. Note the added (d) below.

CA Vehicle code:
27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a
headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does
not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined
in Section 165.
(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special
construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any
highway.
(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection
equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.
(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of
earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate
injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a
manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or
horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

The custom fitting in-ear phones like Westones, Al's, and even foamies like Hearos, etc. can be effectively argues as attenuators now. They can't legislate for someone to lose their hearing as helmet wind noise is often above OSHA levels. That coupled with the Americans With Disabilities Act that they cannot discriminate against a person with a disability (as in "deaf") cannot ride a motorcycle.

Cop will lose in court if they don't know the current law's status or just out for a B.S. ticket, but it might take an attorney to do so.

Mack
Mack,

The "Hearos" foam earplugs that I wear would be allowed under category (d).

The Sensaphonics molds with the ER-4Ps or Shure SE530s would NOT be allowed, because they seal out the sound almost completely. If I were wearing them in both ears, I wouldn't be able to hear the siren or horn, even if the music is turned down very low, or left off. I don't think that I could truthfully argue that they are "personal hearing protectors" under the statute. The non-custom, general purpose rubber or foam inserts that come with most earphones are also designed to seal out nearly all external sounds, so they would not be allowed either.

If you wear them, will you be able to convince the officer that they are "personal hearing protectors"? My guess is no, because you have wires (implying that there is music) coming from both earphones.

BTW, the reason that I wear Hearos and not the molded earphones is because I wouldn't feel safe with the earphones. I can't hear ambient sounds when they are in my ears. For example, I can't hear the phone on my desk ringing when they are in. Sometimes that's a good thing. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.