BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

anyone seen this before

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  rjoelshipp 
#1 ·
On my Ztechnik titanium exhaust there is a burn mark on one of the pop rivets that hold the ztechnik logo on to the exhaust. It's like exhaust is coming out of side of the pipe rivet.
Anyone seen this before?

#2 ·
If the rivet is the least bit loose, exhaust gasses will be leaking from around there (I've never seen a double-wall can). The guy who riveted on the nameplate (I doubt very seriously if this operation is automated) might not have had his gun perpendicular when he set the rivet. Is the rivet loose? Does the rivet's flange look to be pulled down flat all the way around? Loose rivets on racecars and planes are characterized/identified by a black stain/powder that forms around the rivet head from fretting, this is from the abrasion of the joined plates rubbing against each other and the rivet due the rivet having lost its mechanical fastening capability.

#6 ·
I just can't see this having any adverse effects on your motor, that little bit of exhaust gas escaping is nothing compared to the outlet a few inches downstream. Maybe the nameplate and the can are made out of dissimilar metals having a different coefficient of expansion where when the can heats up the rivet is pulled slightly sideways allowing the exhaust gas leakage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.