BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Something for the cold weather

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  BAK04GT 
#1 ·
I've lived in San Francisco for the last 35 years. I'm certainly used to the different climates in the Bay Area. But recently, I've had to do some traveling up Highway 5 towards Mt. Shasta and Yreka.

I have two trips coming up in October and the temperature will be dropping down into the 40's (lower at night).

I've had my K1200GT since last summer and my jacket is a Frank Thomas Sprint Aqua (http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php?pge_id=11&product_id=186). While it does have a lining, it's not going to keep me that warm in the lower degrees. My pants have pretty much been Dockers or just jeans. I really want to arrive at my desination in comfort; not having my teeth chattering and my legs numb from the cold. :snowlaff:

I want to find some type of suit (both jacket and pants) that can be worn that will keep my warm but I really don't know where to start. Which manufacturer? Lined? One piece? Costs? Etc.

I don't mind doing my own legwork, but if you folks have some information that will help me in my due diligence, I would be grateful. So far the only places I've been are the local BMW shop and Aerostitch.com.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think your first purchase should be an electric vest. With your core warm your existing gear will probably be warm enough, and it's easy to add long underwear and a thin fleece under pretty much any jacket/pants set for extra warmth. Toss in some winter gloves.

I also live in the bay area, and yeah like last weekend it's not unusual to see 90's inland and 50's at the coast on the same day. I looked around and ended up springing for a BMW Comfort Shell jacket and pants -- it replaced all of my other riding gear. It's expensive, but actually works as claimed, has good armor, and it's really nice to just have one set of gear for any trip. Not even a liner to keep track of!

#4 ·
I myself am a huge believer in electric vests. It should be everyone's
first purchase after the basics.

I currently own a Widder, but they're apparently out of business.
Gerbing was the way to go at one time, but the quality is alleged to be
gone now that they make'em in China.

These guys get excellent reviews on the HSTA site. I'd look there
before laying money down anywhere else.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/

#7 ·
if you are riding you should also wear riding pants, jacket, gloves and helmet. i came out of a parking lot yesterday after getting a brand new set of tires at cliffs that must have had some residual oil on them. i made a hard right turn and when i gave it a twist to straighten it back up the rear end lost traction and the bike slid out from under me. i slid down the road 20' or so on my back. got up, and said holy crap. if i did not have riding gear on i would have been very badly hurt, instead i am just really sore today. not sure what the damage is going to cost to my 2003 k1200gt, but i was amazed how the gear saved my skin.

#9 ·
KRocket said:
Did the same at 25 mi. on new rear tire in the cold; you'll never again forget that new rubber is not sticky. Cost me near $2K. I needed a new cylinder head and more. Get crash bars and prevent more $$ damage from stupid little slides.

I'm gonna guess that you and Randy Sullivan have not been riding long. New tires should always be treated with care for the first 50-100 miles.

Anyway back to the original topic. The mornings here in NC have been getting chilly over the last week or so. Temps have been in the low 40's on the communte to work and my Gerbings liner and gloves have kept me toasty. I can ride with those when the temps are down into the 20's without any discomfort. Also, a good pair of pants is a must. Jeans are not going to protect you in a fall and sure don't do much to keep you warm. I've got Olympia AST jacket and pants and both do a great job of keeping me comfortable and safe.

#10 ·
KJG said:
I've lived in San Francisco for the last 35 years. I'm certainly used to the different climates in the Bay Area. But recently, I've had to do some traveling up Highway 5 towards Mt. Shasta and Yreka.

I have two trips coming up in October and the temperature will be dropping down into the 40's (lower at night).

I've had my K1200GT since last summer and my jacket is a Frank Thomas Sprint Aqua (http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php?pge_id=11&product_id=186). While it does have a lining, it's not going to keep me that warm in the lower degrees. My pants have pretty much been Dockers or just jeans. I really want to arrive at my desination in comfort; not having my teeth chattering and my legs numb from the cold. :snowlaff:

I want to find some type of suit (both jacket and pants) that can be worn that will keep my warm but I really don't know where to start. Which manufacturer? Lined? One piece? Costs? Etc.

I don't mind doing my own legwork, but if you folks have some information that will help me in my due diligence, I would be grateful. So far the only places I've been are the local BMW shop and Aerostitch.com.

Thanks.

COLD?.......heated vest will cook you in those temps.....all you really need is long uderwear a pair of ski pants and use you liner (rain and thermal) in your jacket..the most important is good warm gloves that are water proof...The heated seat will keep your blood warm....I ride in temps down to 28...with just those items 60 miles every day in the late fall and winter....even have to turn off the seat sometimes....the trick is not to get to the point of sweating before the ride....And a real thin knit cap for under the helmet...youll be toasty.....

#11 ·
RandySullivan said:
i came out of a parking lot yesterday after getting a brand new set of tires at cliffs that must have had some residual oil on them. i made a hard right turn and when i gave it a twist to straighten it back up the rear end lost traction and the bike slid out from under me.
Don't even need new tires for this. Wet leaves, pine needles, black ice... I did one of these in Yellowstone this summer on a patch of algae growing in some hot spring overflow! ...algae is slipperier than snot. ASC might have saved me from going down, or maybe it was just raw talent, but it was a high pucker factor move either way. :eek::

#12 ·
BAK04GT said:
COLD?.......heated vest will cook you in those temps.....all you really need is long uderwear a pair of ski pants ...
I hope you never go down while riding in ski pants cause that's gonna hurt bad.

As already stated, keep your core warm and you really don't need much for the legs. When I had the RT I was fine with thermal layers into the low 30's on my 1 hour commute because of the wind protection on that bike. If I was riding for long periods of time, I would want my electrics. With the KR, I do break out the electric jacket for the commute when it gets cold.

#13 ·
You have a K1200GT ? Does it have an outlet, if so the heated vest works very well almost too well at times. I am on the east cost and was in the Pocono Mtns a few nights ago, turned on the heated seat, hand grips put the vest on under my jacket and was good to go. It was about 37 degrees standing still, loved the look on peoples faces when you pass them ... you know they think you're crazy, but really you're just quite comfortable.
The BMW "streetguard suit" is lined and does a good job of keeping you warm, and there are now 2 versions of the vest. As far as the streetguard suit, I personally would rather go to a dealer to try it on.
Here is a dealer I have shopped with online, they are very good and have a large selection. Even if you dont use them you can pick out things then go to you local dealer and tell them what you want.

Safe riding !

www.sierrabmwonline.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.