K1600 Pricing - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2010, 6:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1600 Pricing

Hi all,
I’m curious to get your opinion on possible pricing for the two models.
Current MSRP for the premium 1300GT is $22,595 (USA)
MSRP for the 1200LT is $21,700 (a 9 year old model, close to EOL)

The 2010 Honda Goldwing with Nav, XM and ABS is selling for $26,599.
I heard there won’t be a 2011 model but a all new model shipping mid year as a 2012 model.

Price-wise, a six cylinder engine has to be positioned higher up than a 4c but I assume there is limited elasticity for a GT and more for a GTL. Will BMW be able to command higher price for a GTL than Honda for a GW1800?

If BMW stops selling the K1300GT, I doubt they can they charge over $23,900 for a GT1600. They may have a basic GT around $20K and a premium version at $24K

Will a fully loaded 1600GTL at $26,900 or $27,500 sell in large enough quantities for BMW to get the ROI they need on a brand new engine, frame, etc.? Will we see “Packages” available on the GTL too? That may take the bike up to $29,500. Hmmm…
Thoughts?
--JM (ready for a weekend riding my 06' K1200GT in the SF Bay Area)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2010, 1:13 am
IBR# 366

Makes no real difference what the retail pricing is.

I'll ride the thing and then decide if it's the bike for me or not. If it fits me and my riding style and lives up to BMW's hype, then I'll own one. If not, then I won't.

A thousand dollars one way or the other won't make or break the bike for me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2010, 8:08 am

Angry I hate to say it but...

BMW is a pride-ful company. They know they are well entrenched as an exclusive and expensive toy-maker for those consumers who have it and will spend it. Sooooo, we, the little people are going to get priced out of their motorcycle showrooms just like we've been priced out of their automobile showrooms. It's all about the money. -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2010, 12:07 pm
Sit

I agree with Meese, if I ride it, like it and feel I can afford it, I will buy it. I generally am not wooed by things being new or by the name on the item. So regardless of how I like it, if too much, I will wait until used start hitting the market and get one like that.

As for BMW being prideful, I think anyone who makes something should take pride in their company. Otherwise you end up producing crap and no one buys it. I would consider myself one of the little people as neither my wife or I make a great deal or money, we save what we can, and buy only what we need and shop the hell of out things before we do. That being said, last week we bought a new (to us) 2010 BMW 128i that the dealer was selling as used because it was a service loaner car. Got the car because it was a style we liked, drove nice and it was replacing a car we did not like or have faith in. We were able to buy it because the price was much lower than the VW we had actually just bought 6 months prior and hated. If we hadn't needed to roll a bit of neg equity into the new car, it would have been truly a smoking deal. But its all good, we love the car, we love the deal we got and are paying less now than for the VW. Go figure. Just because is says BMW on it does not mean premium price.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2010, 9:22 pm
Veteran

And of course you can just wait for them to become used bikes, that's never a dumb move. Plus you get to see what happens with, oh, gee I don't know, what could go wrong? Fuel mapping? Clutch juddering? handlebar switches? (hey I wonder if the Jap turn signals and pee cups will stay?).
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2010, 11:00 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
And of course you can just wait for them to become used bikes, that's never a dumb move. Plus you get to see what happens with, oh, gee I don't know, what could go wrong? Fuel mapping? Clutch juddering? handlebar switches? (hey I wonder if the Jap turn signals and pee cups will stay?).
Gilly
You forgot stalling, poorly designed camshaft-to-gear attachments, and final-drives blowing chunks. Least the pee cups haven't had any issues yet. Oh, I forgot. Yes they did. Some silly sponge was added to minimize air bubbles.

Right now, I find the downsized S1000RR to be far more fun. Less weight is very nice. As one saleswoman who waits on me in the local hardware store said today,"Well, you are getting older and it's harder to keep those heavy things upright." She knows I've never dropped my old RT in 100K miles, but not so lucky with the GT. Don't think she bought my "But it has a much higher center of gravity" excuse. Bah!

Least the S has still managed to stay upright so far. And it hasn't acted up in the warranty arena either.

Mack
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 8:13 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
As one saleswoman who waits on me in the local hardware store said today,"Well, you are getting older and it's harder to keep those heavy things upright."

Mack
Yeah? I would have pointed at her chest and said "OH, yeah I guess you know what that's like..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
You forgot stalling, poorly designed camshaft-to-gear attachments, and final-drives blowing chunks. Least the pee cups haven't had any issues yet. Oh, I forgot. Yes they did. Some silly sponge was added to minimize air bubbles.
Oh, well, gee, get realistic, I mean a high end manufacturer like BMW couldn't possibly mess up on important things like these............

My K75 had the rear brake reservoir that had to be replaced a few times due to UV exposure (later on I guess they relocated it, but I chose to keep mine all original), still wondering how the pee cups will fair, being fully exposed to light. Maybe the dealers give them a smear of Coppertone on the services.......

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 10:02 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Makes no real difference what the retail pricing is.

I'll ride the thing and then decide if it's the bike for me or not. If it fits me and my riding style and lives up to BMW's hype, then I'll own one. If not, then I won't.

A thousand dollars one way or the other won't make or break the bike for me.
Well that's kind of a BS quote......NO difference? So if the bike comes out at 40k plus....you'd still buy it? Or how about 50k plus? At some point there has to be a cut off for any one. Or for at least 99.99% of us minions.

So unless you're related to Rockefeller or independently wealthy.....in which case I offer my self for adoption as long as I can ride the new bike.....then obviously yes....it does make a difference. 1000 bucks one way or another....OK....but one way or another of what?

Pricing this machine much above where they are at now with the 13 is going to push the thing out of reach for a LOT of people. Once it hits gold wing prices many people are going to start jumping ship UNLESS this thing proves itself over time. 3 or 4 years down the road if these new 16's are rock solid reliable then yeah, OK, charge a premium. But given the choice and same price right now I think I'd be all over the GW instead.

However that is all predicated on the fact that I have yet to see or ride one in person...... things could change dramatically then.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Cool K1600GT/GTL Showroom Floor Price Point

The owner of our BMW dealer here in Raleigh feels certain that the starting price for the K16GT will be $1500 above the similiar equipped price for the K13GT, but because they will be delivered from the factory loaded, you can add yet again $1000 to that price! Then, if you want the GTL you can add another $1000 for the base price because it will be bigger and more exclusive than the KGT. But if you start adding factor farkles to that, then you can just imagine what the price of admission will be! He also thinks they won't hit the Showroom floors until the 1300's are pretty much all sold, this should put us in the fall of 2012 or spring of 2013 before we can actually sit on one! So, I say about the K13's: BUY 'em while you can get 'em becuz they are at a reasonable price point now where we can still afford a fine, high performance sport-touring BMW Motorcycle....Before you know it, this brand of bike is gonna be way out of our $ league! -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Veteran

They intro'd the S1000RR in Cologne in Oct. 2009, then it was shopped in Long Beach, CA at the Cycle World Show in December. Demo rides began Jan. 26th 2010. First shipments arrived in March 2010. My order on Jan. 26th - following damn demo ride! - showed up 3 months later to the day in April.

I would expect to see much the same happen to the K1600GT. Probably will show up in U.S. dealers around late Jan. 2011 for demo rides after a dealer orientation meeting in mid-Jan. Pre-orders will be starting around Nov. much like the S, although there is one guy in the 1600 forum elsewhere (Thorxxx?) with a down payment on one right now. Guess if you got money to toss for a down now, dealers may take it.

This bike seems to be a morph of the GT-LT. The RT may be singled as their sport-tourer now and this more of a tourer due to the 800 pound weight alone. Begs the question: "If BMW made an 800 pound S1000RR, would it still be called a sport bike?"

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode