Other 4 cylinders demise as well?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 3:45 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Other 4 cylinders demise as well??

If the idea is to drop the 4 cylinder bikes, are they talking about just the GT? What about the 1300 R and S? All the focus has been on the GT and LT.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 8:28 am
JCW
contributor

I personally do not have ANY desire for a 6 cylinder sport bike in the form of a K16S or K16R.

Maybe a K16RS or a new cruiser type bike. But a sportbike in a heavier, wider package with no additional horsepower doesn't make much sense to me.

What I would stand in line for is a K1000S. A duolever/paralever maybe chain driven superbike with the 193hp 1000cc engine and about 150 pounds pared off the current platform's weight. That would be cool.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 10:42 am

I did not ask the dealer about the S and the R but he says the GT is going away. That's the top seller of the three, right? Why would you keep the other two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 10:58 am
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird
I did not ask the dealer about the S and the R but he says the GT is going away. That's the top seller of the three, right? Why would you keep the other two?
uuuhhhhh... I can think of a few.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 9:00 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
I
What I would stand in line for is a K1000S. A duolever/paralever maybe chain driven superbike with the 193hp 1000cc engine and about 150 pounds pared off the current platform's weight. That would be cool.
So you must mean a S1000S? My understanding is the S1000RR is NOT a K bike. That engine is a stand-alone engine from a slant 4 "K Bike" engine isn't it? Or is it really based on a slant 4?? I dunno or I'd say so.
I respect the S1000RR but the assymetrical looks just kill me. I fell the same way about some of the other BMWs with different headlights, yeeesh. That one GS that cam out 5 or 10 yrs ago with one headlight bigger than the other? Looks like this guy I knew who got hit in the head with a baseball bat (TRUE!) when he was little and now has one eye that is always bigger than the other. Like that. Without the twitching or blinking.
Gilly

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2010, 9:54 pm
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
So you must mean a S1000S? My understanding is the S1000RR is NOT a K bike. That engine is a stand-alone engine from a slant 4 "K Bike" engine isn't it? Or is it really based on a slant 4?? I dunno or I'd say so.
I respect the S1000RR but the assymetrical looks just kill me. I fell the same way about some of the other BMWs with different headlights, yeeesh. That one GS that cam out 5 or 10 yrs ago with one headlight bigger than the other? Looks like this guy I knew who got hit in the head with a baseball bat (TRUE!) when he was little and now has one eye that is always bigger than the other. Like that. Without the twitching or blinking.
Gilly
I'm absolutely no BMW historian but I think the K bikes were a departure from BMW's original boxer air/oil cooled engines (R-series) to a 3 cylinder (K75) or 4 cylinder (K100) liquid cooled engine.

As far as the slant, up until the 2005 models, the K engines all laid on their sides with the head on the left, crank on the right.

So, I think maybe a K1000SS would be appropriate?

I agree with you re the looks. The asymmetry for asymmetry's sake is, IMO, a bad idea.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2010, 8:28 am Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm sure they have a reason for the 2 headlights doing different jobs, especially on the GS bike I am thinking of, on/off road would make them think in terms of being off road at night possibly so they want a different sized high beam or whatever. On the street, you would I think be capable of having it look symmetrical. Whatever though, way OT now.

As far as the K bike name, if BMW considered the RR a K bike, I'm sure they would have named it the K1000RR. It's obviously way different than a K, starting with a non-shaft drive, is that reason enough to give it a new classification? I suppose it would.

So the new question now, besides if BMW is killing ALL 4 cylinder production (Ummm, besides the S1000RR? ) is if the S1000RR engine is based on the same slant 4 as the K1200/1300 engine???

Gilly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode