K1600 at Long Beach show - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2010, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

K1600 at Long Beach show

I saw the new K1600 GT and GTL at the Long Beach show - sorry no pictures. The GT looks sportier and has a bit more aggressive seating position - pretty much like the current K1300GT. The GTL looks and feels more relaxed - lower seat, more upright position - more like the K1200LT. Both bikes feel BIG and WIDE. They both look very nice and I'm sure they will be very popular after the innevitable early bugs get worked out. A nice replacement fot the ageing LT but I don't see this as a K1300GT replacement. Big crowd checking these bikes out and a lot of grumbling about the weight and size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Noob

I was there also last night, was nice to finnaly get to see it and sat on it. At 5'9" the low seat made me feel cramped although I really like the bar position. The GT felt about right height wise for me. The side bags seemed smaller than my LT's. The position of the oil filter will make oil changes a breeze. The new scooter was very impressive also.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2010, 1:49 pm
Veteran

That's my big concern, the weight and size. I don't ever do 2 up riding, so passenger comfort isn't something I care about.

I've gotten real used to the lower weight of the R1200GSA and have it set up for long distance traveling (read: Russell Day-Long Seat). Did 2500 miles over Thanksgiving, 1500 miles down to Florida (Iron Butt BBG) then 1000 miles back the other way (Saddle Sore 1000). I don't miss the K1300GT at all.

Even so, I'll reserve judgment until I see and sit on one.

2010 R1200GSA
2010 S1000RR
IBA# 42277
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2010, 5:30 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Was going to go, but the rain convinced me not to. A friend even called me this morning to see if I was going, so I walked downstairs and looked outside, and the streets were wet. I guess I don't mind riding in the rain... I just don't want to have to clean up the bike afterwards.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2010, 8:10 pm
Enthusiast

I went to the show Sunday morning to have a look around myself and to take a look at the new K16GT/GTL. I have to say that aside from some of the new tech incorporated in the new line it's not enough of a reason to trade the K12GT in for a new one.

I guess the new styling just isn't my cup of tea. The show itself as a whole was a bit of a disappointment as there weren't very many people there. I imagine the rain had a lot to do with the poor showing. The good news though was that I got myself a new Schuberth helmet with comm system with a 10% discount! I have to say that I'm very impressed with the build quality of the helmet. Ive been using a Nolan up to this point and have been pretty happy with it, but after putting the Schuberth on there is no comparison with the comfort level.

With the rain around here this week I havent had a chance to actually go for a ride with it on, but if the companies claims of it being the quietest modular helmet on the market are true I think I made a good decision with the new helmet. I'll give an update after some road time.

Initial Success, or Total Failure.
'08 K1200GT (Adventurin Silver)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2010, 10:35 pm
Veteran

Rain also kept me from there although we tried. Traffic was a mess and had a truck launched a 2x4 which became air born and knocked the mirror off the car to the tune of $320. Bad luck, but worse weather and traffic. Glad I got a free dealer pass to get in...that I couldn't use.

Maybe next year when they debut the new RTL or whatever they will call it as it's about time for that makeover. Nice to see they went back to the metal reservoirs for the brake and clutch instead of those cheap plastic cups. Far better and wider seat too.

I wonder if the 6 will cause many of the Gold Wing crowd to switch? Maybe attract some older LT riders back who may have wandered over to the GW side for a while. Dunno.

I still fear the bike is much too heavy for their target group, i.e. 'really old people' who cannot upright it if it falls over at a gas pump (like me!). At least some could upright a GW since the crash bars help it from lying too flat, but I don't know about this one. Needs an airbag too, and a built-in cup holder with a heater.

Mack
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2010, 4:14 pm
Enthusiast

I'm sure the size won't deter the luxury tourer crowd.

I really like my K12GT size/weight but will likely order up a 16GT in a couple of years....

Mike M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode